ADVERTISEMENT

Women's college basketball: Top 25 players for 2021-22

Why?!! Why?! Why?! What is the reason for these glaring omissions when it comes to anything RU? It's too much of a coincidence. I had no problem with the first 15 or 16 players. I felt Diamond could easily have been right along there somewhere at around 17. I personally think she demonstrated that she's as good as Paige and Caitlin.

They put a HS kid in there before her. ???

crazee,
Diamond had a good freshman year, but not one that puts her in the top 25 of class category.
The freshman rated over her had something in her resume that might have earned that bump before even playing a game: By all accounts, Fudd was the No. 1-rated recruit by espnW HoopGurlz --
Diamond wasn't in the top 50 in points per game (Arella was #17)
Assists per game (Arella #27)
Diamond was #48 in FG%
but not on the Free throw top 50 in percentage ( Arella #21)
Diamond didn't turn up in the assist to turnover % top 50
nor in assists

Diamond played great while she was at Rutgers, but doesn't deserve to be considered one of the best in college.
That freshman might not either, but fans of other schools might have a more deserving player than Johnson they can name, when the shafted word is used

crazee,
Diamond had a good freshman year, but not one that puts her in the top 25 of class category.
The freshman rated over her had something in her resume that might have earned that bump before even playing a game: By all accounts, Fudd was the No. 1-rated recruit by espnW HoopGurlz --
Diamond wasn't in the top 50 in points per game (Arella was #17)
Assists per game (Arella #27)
Diamond was #48 in FG%
but not on the Free throw top 50 in percentage ( Arella #21)
Diamond didn't turn up in the assist to turnover % top 50
nor in assists

Diamond played great while she was at Rutgers, but doesn't deserve to be considered one of the best in college.
That freshman might not either, but fans of other schools might have a more deserving player than Johnson they can name, when the shafted word is used
Mad,....I know you said you don't root for those who transfer out of RU, but you have to be kidding here, ....right?

You put up a lot of percentage rankings that don't tell you anything when it comes to this kind of ranking. You must have confused Diamond's stats with someone else's. Take some time to compare the same stats you listed, for the other guards that made the list. You will observe that Diamond's FG, 3ptFG, and FT%s are better than all but Beuckers. I think there were two guards that had A/TO ratio of better than 2/1. All the others were comparable in that category. We know Diamond was not going to be the leading scorer on an Arella G. led team. Came pretty close though. She showed that she could have scored like C. Clark if she had been asked to.

You know most of the top FG %s are going to belong to the post players shooting layups. Ododa and Griffin for UConn had a higher FG %s than Diamond and Paige. They get layups and garbage buckets.

Cubaj......good player, difference maker, but not elite. Diamond is elite.

To me, it seems that this was an eye test type ranking. Thank you for pointing me to the stats. They confirm for me what I saw with my eyes that Diamond surely belongs on that list.

And the above posts reminds me of why I HATED having to take undergrad, and graduate school stats. Anyways, Diamond has to be right up there with all the greatest guards/true frosh I have ever seen, period. If she remains healthy, the sky is the limit. While I wish her well, I will always be po'd that she left. But, we still do not know the reason for all the still unbelievable drama that happened, and probably never will.

Reactions: RUcrazee
I'll just say Diamond is a real good player and might turn into an elite one, but I think overall she doesn't get to be considered a top 25 college player , yet.
Top 25 in her position, definitely

Reactions: bac2therac
I'll just say Diamond is a real good player and might turn into an elite one, but I think overall she doesn't get to be considered a top 25 college player , yet.
Top 25 in her position, definitely
I respect your opinion. It is definitely a debatable topic. I also think the list is favoring athletes who's teams had more success in the post season. That's not fair when talking individual players. Rutgers not going further into the Tourney was in no way, Diamond's fault.

I just think she is better and played better than some of the players on the list. Those stats seem to back me up on that. And like I said, there are some players other than guards that Diamond belongs ahead of IMO. Did you go back and compare the stat lines?

I think this kind of selection could partly be the result of the lack of media exposure that we get in comparison to other programs. We don't get the same coverage as most other P5 teams. Seems like you can see every ACC and SEC team at least once a week, from the beginning of the season to the end. Some of the "expected " front runners in the Big 10 also get regular coverage. We have to pay extra to get some blurry stream of most of our games until we force our way into the top 25 or show that we can be a dangerous team. So many other programs don't have that issue. The Duke, ND, VT, Miami, Vandy , Auburn, Tenn, OSU, Mich, MichST, Iowa, Md, PennSt, and on and on, have their games broadcast from the start of the season throughout, .....whether they are top 25 or not. We go two or three weeks between broadcasted games.

This is a big deal. These are the things that can affect a recruits decision.

Last edited:
crazee,
You might say I look at RU player and those that transfer into the program in a positive way.
Giving them the benefit of doubt when their talent is concerned.
Those who leave the program for another, not so much and that's the case with Diamond Johnson .
I'll not knock the talent she has, nor wish ill of her, but just won't give her ( or any transfer out,in any sport) the benefit of doubt when being compared to other highly talented players.

I think when next season starts, a lot of people are going to look back and say, what were we thinking to leave her off this list.

I think she went to NC State mainly to have a more recognized platform. I've seen an article that claims to have gotten the simple response from Diamond that the transfer was about "platform". I felt that was the main reason all along. The fact that her surrounding cast is already final four ready, .....she is ready to put on a show. Sad thing is, she could have done the same thing here at RU. Of course she had no idea who might transfer in to help the cause, but just imagine her running the point, with all the talent that was brought in to go with the young core! OMG!!

In regard to this top 25 list, we got a chance to watch her all season,...and some of us are still doubters?? As much as I would have liked for her to stay, I recognize that she is in a prime position to showcase her skills and erase all doubt. It's too bad that she couldn't see the team's potential for greatness here at RU.

Last edited:
Not to get into a battle of the words but, "We got a chance to watch her all season,...and some of us are still doubters?? As much as I would have liked for her to stay, I recognize that she is in a prime position to showcase her skills and erase all doubt. It's too bad that she couldn't see the team's potential for greatness here at RU.
Who are the "doubters?" A prime area like the NYC area/RAC is a way better place to get MAJOR attention, and be a super star, IMO.
She could have been #1 for RU. With Tekia, Zippy, Arella, and Mael all gone, what better chance could anyone ask for, to become the STAR?? Anyway, done with all of them, good bye, have a nice time.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Hey, I'm in total agreement with the two posts above. That's what I was expressing in my prior post. She had the perfect setup and opportunity to leave a more impressive legacy here than what she can at an already established contender.

I won't go into it again, cause I know you guys are probably tired of me saying it. The LeBron James, KD, James Harden effect. It's sweeping the entire NCAA.

Anyway, done with all of them, good bye, have a nice time.
Hey, that's not like you to be so harsh. We're all disappointed Diamond and Zippy didn't stay but we should respect their decision. That kind of harsh dismissal may not go over well with those players still here and future recruits.
Who are the "doubters?"
Those who made up the list (Charlie Creme or whoever) and those who posted earlier in this thread that acknowledged her talent but weren't sure she's top 25.

Last edited:
A prime area like the NYC area/RAC is a way better place to get MAJOR attention, and be a super star, IMO.
I would agree with you if the media in this area gave us the coverage. Historically, we haven't gotten it. UConn dominates this market while we are put in the same tier with St. Johns when it comes to coverage. NC State (ACC) has regularly been more visible on national television than RU over the past several years or so.

I'm with you if you're saying she had a chance to do something special by forcing NYC Metro to take notice. Like the NBA superstar that decides to be the catalyst for bringing the Knicks and MSG back to greatness will be forever celebrated compared to the player who joins an already stacked champion, just to get a ring.

I would agree with you if the media in this area gave us the coverage. Historically, we haven't gotten it. UConn dominates this market while we are put in the same tier with St. Johns when it comes to coverage. NC State (ACC) has regularly been more visible on national television than RU over the past several years or so.

I'm with you if you're saying she had a chance to do something special by forcing NYC Metro to take notice. Like the NBA superstar that decides to be the catalyst for bringing the Knicks and MSG back to greatness will be forever celebrated compared to the player who joins an already stacked champion, just to get a ring.
Yes, largely - NC State (if / when she gets minutes) is a good platform, because the idea is they will be contending to make the final four. They get excellent coverage on the ACC network and likely will have more national games than Rutgers. I'm not sure that she could see Rutgers in that light - Viv with a hanging contract at that time, players leaving, the other talented player graduating, the disappointing finish to the season . . .

I resent when posters spout that Rutgers is irrelevant - but unfortunately, in the national "scene" right not - Rutgers is irrelevant. You don't become relevant until someone thinks you are a Sweet 16 candidate.

Now Rutgers has the opportunity - especially with the incoming talent - to do well. But it does remain to be seen.

Yes, largely - NC State (if / when she gets minutes) is a good platform, because the idea is they will be contending to make the final four. They get excellent coverage on the ACC network and likely will have more national games than Rutgers. I'm not sure that she could see Rutgers in that light - Viv with a hanging contract at that time, players leaving, the other talented player graduating, the disappointing finish to the season . . .

I resent when posters spout that Rutgers is irrelevant - but unfortunately, in the national "scene" right not - Rutgers is irrelevant. You don't become relevant until someone thinks you are a Sweet 16 candidate.

Now Rutgers has the opportunity - especially with the incoming talent - to do well. But it does remain to be seen.
Well said. Agree 100%.

Reactions: eso1989
NC State (if / when she gets minutes) is a good platform
Only way she doesn't start over Perez or Crutchfield is loyalty to those two for already being there and the work they've put in already. My guess is that she will get more minutes than whichever one she may sub for and will likely get the fourth quarter/crucial minutes.

Only scenario that she doesn't get minutes, barring injury, is if she doesn't share chemistry with her teammates. Then she can realize she made a mistake and transfer back to RU. lol.........semi-lol

ADVERTISEMENT