ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer Begins Big Ten Regional Weekend Against Michigan State Thursday

Finally a fan with compliments and not complaints. We will learn to score...in the mean time good defense always helps in soccer. Can't lose if they do not score. You said everything I was just going to send.

Guess you’ve never heard of PK’s lol

Congratulations to RU women's soccer!

Looking ahead and checking the B1G's website, their rather Byzantine schedule seems to have PSU and IU in the semis as "away" teams, and has PSU as the "away" team all the way through to the national championship game. So how is one supposed to decipher such hieroglyphics? Is there a central host for the B1G's final four in women's soccer?

Anybody know?

Thanks.

Looking ahead and checking the B1G's website, their rather Byzantine schedule seems to have PSU and IU in the semis as "away" teams, and has PSU as the "away" team all the way through to the national championship game. So how is one supposed to decipher such hieroglyphics? Is there a central host for the B1G's final four in women's soccer?

Anybody know?

Thanks.
Looks like penn st v iowa in semis.
Rutgers to host winner of MN v Wisc.

Anybody know?

Thanks.
See here:. https://bigten.org/sports/2021/4/2/202021WSOCTournament.aspx

Thanks.

As I read the brackets, RU will play the winner of IU-PSU. Where will depend upon which one wins. If PSU, we go there, if IU, they go to Piscataway. Either way, it will be a very tough matchup.

Thanks.

As I read the brackets, RU will play the winner of IU-PSU. Where will depend upon which one wins. If PSU, we go there, if IU, they go to Piscataway. Either way, it will be a very tough matchup.
Penn st was #1 seed. Rutgers is now second highest remaining seed.
Iowa finished #12 I think so they are locked in w Penn St.
Note that they re-seed after today.

Good for them. This was a typical mike o. match. Play tight D and pray for a miracle. This may win may mask some of the massive problems with this program but when you pull back the curtain u can see that there are substantial problems with strategy and game planning within this program.

We have arguably one of the most dominant offensive players in the conference yet we can’t find a way to capitalize on that. We’ve scored TWO goals over our last six matches. For perspective PSU has scored TWENTY over their last six. To make it worse, we share several common opponents over that six game stretch.

The deniers can spin it anyway they want. There are major problems with in this program. We are way to talented to have this type of offensive output. And if our players really aren’t as talented as we thought then all the more reason to cut ties with Mike O. and PDA

Reactions: bigmatt718
Good for them. This was a typical mike o. match. Play tight D and pray for a miracle. This may win may mask some of the massive problems with this program but when you pull back the curtain u can see that there are substantial problems with strategy and game planning within this program.

We have arguably one of the most dominant offensive players in the conference yet we can’t find a way to capitalize on that. We’ve scored TWO goals over our last six matches. For perspective PSU has scored TWENTY over their last six. To make it worse, we share several common opponents over that six game stretch.

The deniers can spin it anyway they want. There are major problems with in this program. We are way to talented to have this type of offensive output. And if our players really aren’t as talented as we thought then all the more reason to cut ties with Mike O. and PDA
Really good win Ladies. You played excellent soccer. Go RU.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
IMO couple of things we need to clean up. 1] GK Mclelland need to keep her kicks on the playing turf. I would guess at lease half go out of bounds. 2] If Sam Krouger is in the game she needs to take our corners & maybe all free kicks. Becky Fuchel needs to step away for now.

IMO couple of things we need to clean up. 1] GK Mclelland need to keep her kicks on the playing turf. I would guess at lease half go out of bounds. 2] If Sam Krouger is in the game she needs to take our corners & maybe all free kicks. Becky Fuchel needs to step away for now.

Are you being critical?!! Thought that’s not allowed???

I get your point but at least they are in every game and have a chance to be competitive.

Which is great, honestly, but we’re a solid offensive assistant coach from winning titles - conference and national - and it gets frustrating because EVERYONE can see it. Today’s goal we didn’t even score. That’s not good. We have scored 3 goals in our last 5 matches played. Penn state, on the other hand, I believe has scored 17 in their last five matches.

We get Wisconsin in the semifinal Thursday at 5. Little payback for their 89th minute goal last week would be nice!

Last edited:
The guy lives on Pluto. Wants to clean up goal kicks. How about we clean up actually putting the ball in the net
At least not in Hades where everything is dark. Just a suggestion--don't denigrate attempts to have a substantive discussion on aspects of play. You've made your point ad nauseum. I'm sure everyone knows it. Did you see the game? IMO the women played very well.

Last edited:
Which is great, honestly, but we’re a solid offensive assistant coach from winning titles - conference and national - and it gets frustrating because EVERYONE can see it. Today’s goal we didn’t even score. That’s not good. We have scored 3 goals in our last 5 matches played. Penn state, on the other hand, I believe has scored 17 in their last five matches.

We get Wisconsin in the semifinal Thursday at 5. Little payback for their 89th minute goal last week would be nice!
Of course the Wisconsin game was the epitome of everything we are talking about with this coach play as defensive as possible and hope for that 1-0 win or what happens many times is make one mistake and you lose 1-0 as in that game Wisconsin's goal was their only shot on goal the whole game!!

Agreed....but my boys travel team I coach is the same as the women's team. Great defense and mid field but just never have been able to find that finisher. We lost a 0-0 double OT PK shootout last night so I understand PK's. You threw some salt in the wound with the PK comment. They still played well even in a tough loss like that.. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Agreed....but my boys travel team I coach is the same as the women's team. Great defense and mid field but just never have been able to find that finisher. We lost a 0-0 double OT PK shootout last night so I understand PK's. You threw some salt in the wound with the PK comment. They still played well even in a tough loss like that.. LOL

Ahhhh man I’m sorry!!!

Quote from frosh Sara Brocius on OSU win--"I thought we played as a team today, you could tell from the start we were driven to win."
" We did it as a team & it was a great win. We're growing together & learning from each other as the season goes on, which is so important because we're a young team & the experience we're getting is immeasurable...."

I had posted similar thoughts in earlier posts about them being so young & learning each other as well as this probably being the best game I had seen them play.

Quote from frosh Sara Brocius on OSU win--"I thought we played as a team today, you could tell from the start we were driven to win."
" We did it as a team & it was a great win. We're growing together & learning from each other as the season goes on, which is so important because we're a young team & the experience we're getting is immeasurable...."

I had posted similar thoughts in earlier posts about them being so young & learning each other as well as this probably being the best game I had seen them play.

Honestly that's some GREAT stuff right there! Just get us ONE early score against Wisconsin and make life A TAD easier for everyone involved (including and most importantly yourselves) LOL!

Anybody know?

Thanks.

The B1G women's soccer tournament is a hot mess. I do understand they created two divisions (East and West) for the tournament, but the matchups - especially in the east make no sense to me.

At least not in Hades where everything is dark. Just a suggestion--don't denigrate attempts to have a substantive discussion on aspects of play. You've made your point ad nauseum. I'm sure everyone knows it. Did you see the game? IMO the women played very well.
You do realize that the people who have gripes with the program right now aren't denigrating the women's play so much as the system on the field. I haven't seen people go after the team's effort. Or their desire to win or play hard. What people are harping on is the lack of creating offense and scoring chances. And at this point, we have historical data that shows that this coach likes this defensive style of play.

So while while we are young this year, we are still playing the same way that we've always played. No matter the talent in the program and whether it's young or old, it's the same style of play. And it is a legitimate criticism. It doesn't mean they're right and you're wrong but when you are losing games 1-0 to seemingly inferior talented teams, the coach is setting himself up to be second guessed.

You do realize that the people who have gripes with the program right now aren't denigrating the women's play so much as the system on the field. I haven't seen people go after the team's effort. Or their desire to win or play hard. What people are harping on is the lack of creating offense and scoring chances. And at this point, we have historical data that shows that this coach likes this defensive style of play.

So while while we are young this year, we are still playing the same way that we've always played. No matter the talent in the program and whether it's young or old, it's the same style of play. And it is a legitimate criticism. It doesn't mean they're right and you're wrong but when you are losing games 1-0 to seemingly inferior talented teams, the coach is setting himself up to be second guessed.

This is an excellent post.

I think you may have missed my point.

I think you may have missed my point.
Maybe. But I've seen you guys go back and forth on here for awhile now. And most of the time it seems to be about the coach and his system with them arguing against it and you seemingly sticking up for the coach. But what do I know. I'm just a Rutgers fan that wants our sports teams to win, just like everyone else here. Hopefully we find a way to win a B1G championship this year. It seems like it's within our grasp.

Maybe. But I've seen you guys go back and forth on here for awhile now. And most of the time it seems to be about the coach and his system with them arguing against it and you seemingly sticking up for the coach. But what do I know. I'm just a Rutgers fan that wants our sports teams to win, just like everyone else here. Hopefully we find a way to win a B1G championship this year. It seems like it's within our grasp.

Exactly, no one is criticizing the players or their effort. This is strictly about Coach Mike.

Again, PSU has 20 goals the last six matches. We have 2. There are glaring deficiencies on the offensive side of the ball. I'm sorry if people are offended by the facts or feel I'm too negative but this is where we are at. Yesterday, did nothing to change reality. Yes we played well in spurts but the results were the same. I watch almost every game and my family member played under Glenn and Mike at RU and for PDA. Many people have soured on this program and believe its plateaued. I love this team and program but I refuse to sit here and say that "the team played very well yesterday." I'm sorry, it's just more of the same and in the offseason something needs to give.

Reactions: rsutton86
Sorry but the team did play very well. They played within the system that you don't like, but they played very well.

Sorry but the team did play very well. They played within the system that you don't like, but they played very well.

I think you’re missing the point: what’s wrong with having the option of a program that scores and plays defense, both at the same time
, and positions us BETTER for winning titles? That’s all we’re ever trying to get across to you and you don’t seem to want to listen. Yes the system works - SOMETIMES - but other times it doesn’t work and if you give up a goal late in the game it’s over. Wouldn’t it be nice to have the option to score easily?

I think you’re missing the point: what’s wrong with having the option of a program that scores and plays defense, both at the same time
, and positions us BETTER for winning titles? That’s all we’re ever trying to get across to you and you don’t seem to want to listen. Yes the system works - SOMETIMES - but other times it doesn’t work and if you give up a goal late in the game it’s over. Wouldn’t it be nice to have the option to score easily?
Not missing the point at all. Simply stated that IMO the girls played very well. Whether our system is a good one or not was not is at issue in my post. With regard to a previous post I brought up some issues with our play as a point of discussion. Another poster denigrated that attempt & myself, characterizing me as being on Pluto, & repeated his criticism of our style of play as too defensive for the umpteenth time.
Actually you or anyone else haven't seen me once either defend or criticize our system. I took exception to the contention that O'Neill should be given his walking papers in view of his overall track record with the team & program. Another poster strongly advocates for his removal. He & I disagree on that point. Hope that helps out.

Last edited:
Not missing the point at all. Simply stated that IMO the girls played very well. Whether our system is a good one or not was not is at issue in my post. With regard to a previous post I brought up some issues with our play as a point of discussion. Another poster denigrated that attempt & myself, characterizing me as being on Pluto, & repeated his criticism of our style of play as too defensive for the umpteenth time.
Actually you or anyone else haven't seen me once either defend or criticize our system. I took exception to the contention that O'Neill should be given his walking papers in view of his overall track record with the team & program. Another posted strongly advocates for his removal. He & I disagree on that point. Hope that helps out.
O'Neill does very well on the recruiting trail but there are girls who want to see an offensive style and see goals scored who may not come to RU because of this; it can equate to the mens basketball program where Pikell plays a defense first style game which some recruits may not like either

ADVERTISEMENT