ADVERTISEMENT

Womens Soccer Big 10 Tournament

richthedentist

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
Well we drew #2 Northwestern in the first round next Sunday and the way the women are playing which right now is their worst soccer of the year unless we make a great turn around this week and some of our injured heal which the way Emily Mason looked I don't see her playing or being anywhere near effective which is going to kill us(I believe the wear and tear of the extra play may also have affected her as she was already in a heavily wrapped hamstring before she suffered her other injury and I am not sure why O'Neill brought her back in) but if we don't win Sunday we may not even make the NCAA's which would be a HUGE disappointment and a real knock on the coaching staff; Now I also know we basically have almost everyone coming back but if we don't add a scorer in the transfer pool I feel this group may not reach the heights I and everyone had hoped for which to me would be a National Championship; look at MSU the girl that scored the game winning goal has 10 goals and was a transfer from Central Michigan and that is what we need as Riley cannot do it on her own; We already lost the top girls recruit to UNC next year so I don't know what or who else is coming in
Some of you more familiar with the high school game may be able to help here on that

Well we drew #2 Northwestern in the first round next Sunday and the way the women are playing which right now is their worst soccer of the year unless we make a great turn around this week and some of our injured heal which the way Emily Mason looked I don't see her playing or being anywhere near effective which is going to kill us(I believe the wear and tear of the extra play may also have affected her as she was already in a heavily wrapped hamstring before she suffered her other injury and I am not sure why O'Neill brought her back in) but if we don't win Sunday we may not even make the NCAA's which would be a HUGE disappointment and a real knock on the coaching staff; Now I also know we basically have almost everyone coming back but if we don't add a scorer in the transfer pool I feel this group may not reach the heights I and everyone had hoped for which to me would be a National Championship; look at MSU the girl that scored the game winning goal has 10 goals and was a transfer from Central Michigan and that is what we need as Riley cannot do it on her own; We already lost the top girls recruit to UNC next year so I don't know what or who else is coming in
Some of you more familiar with the high school game may be able to help here on that
You can look up their individual production
New Jersey-PDA
Ashley Baran Holy cross Prep
Riley McGlinn Cherry Hill West for
tehya Scheuten. Mt. Olive. Mid field
Gabby Gil Westfield mid
Elected to play this year
Olivia Russomanno Cranford
( I forgot first ) Martinez Westfield for
Nj high school player of the year 2021
Injured and is missing this year
I need to add, later a defender and striker from the FC Bucks soccer club in Pa and
Bucks Count west hs

Ashley and Olivia are solid goal scorers
Gabby may be good enough to force playing time next year

if interest our 2024 has three commits and all out of state. A defender, a mid , a forward. I will type the names later

rich I am not sure you were seeking this info so I took a chance

You can look up their individual production
New Jersey-PDA
Ashley Baran Holy cross Prep
Riley McGlinn Cherry Hill West for
tehya Scheuten. Mt. Olive. Mid field
Gabby Gil Westfield mid
Elected to play this year
Olivia Russomanno Cranford
( I forgot first ) Martinez Westfield for
Nj high school player of the year 2021
Injured and is missing this year
I need to add, later a defender and striker from the FC Bucks soccer club in Pa and
Bucks Count west hs

Ashley and Olivia are solid goal scorers
Gabby may be good enough to force playing time next year

if interest our 2024 has three commits and all out of state. A defender, a mid , a forward. I will type the names later

rich I am not sure you were seeking this info so I took a chance
NO that is great what is your opinion going forward; I would think if we can add a goal scorer in the portal that would be great

I honestly didn’t think we played poorly yesterday. We played a team with nine seniors on their turf, and held them off until the final minutes after missing a couple awesome chances off corners. They scored on an amazing shot into the upper right corner which Meg probably just miss time the little as she had the height on her jump. The Michigan game was awful but I thought that was a nice bounce-back even though we drop the match.

Perfect time to regroup and I actually like the fact that we’re not in the same bracket as Michigan State.

NO that is great what is your opinion going forward; I would think if we can add a goal scorer in the portal that would be great
First correctoon
It’s Alyssa Martinez
Then the FC bucks girls are
Audrey Cain def
Elliot Forney. For
All I can say is FC Bucks annually put out
A pretty good ECNL team

Shaela Bradley Portland thorns academy
(Wa)
Michigan Hawks is also a solid ECNL
They have
Charlotte Mills def
Claire Hammil. Mf

your question rich
A forward would be surprising. Our class as structured will be at 26-27 . U you ou can take 30 but Mike usually caps it at 27.
Problem we probably take two center defenders as grad transfers and hope to fill the gap
Allison Lynch took part in seniors day but has a Covid year if she wants.
As to forwards with the incoming class you would have 11. If you were to take one I surmise you know someone or two are leaving

Some really top notch strikers coming. Had this typed earlier in response to your post. forgot to hit post. Glad ho provided the details.

First correctoon
It’s Alyssa Martinez
Then the FC bucks girls are
Audrey Cain def
Elliot Forney. For
All I can say is FC Bucks annually put out
A pretty good ECNL team

Shaela Bradley Portland thorns academy
(Wa)
Michigan Hawks is also a solid ECNL
They have
Charlotte Mills def
Claire Hammil. Mf

your question rich
A forward would be surprising. Our class as structured will be at 26-27 . U you ou can take 30 but Mike usually caps it at 27.
Problem we probably take two center defenders as grad transfers and hope to fill the gap
Allison Lynch took part in seniors day but has a Covid year if she wants.
As to forwards with the incoming class you would have 11. If you were to take one I surmise you know someone or two are leaving
This is a question as I put out in an earlier post what would have been your feeling if we had moved Riley into the middle with Sam on LW and Allison Lowery on RW at this point it is moot but I think it would have helped all around; The other thing I don't get is we seem to play the middle too much and don't use the sidelines enough especially to spread the field our forward tend to dribble in the middle too much if you use the sidelines to me only good things can happen the defender can knock the ball out for a corner kick or we make a cross and many times anything can happen there

This is a question as I put out in an earlier post what would have been your feeling if we had moved Riley into the middle with Sam on LW and Allison Lowery on RW at this point it is moot but I think it would have helped all around; The other thing I don't get is we seem to play the middle too much and don't use the sidelines enough especially to spread the field our forward tend to dribble in the middle too much if you use the sidelines to me only good things can happen the defender can knock the ball out for a corner kick or we make a cross and many times anything can happen there
Think you have something here. The D always clogs the middle.

You need to be in it to win it … one step at a time … first step is to beat NW.

When comparing last years team with this
You might consider this.
Last year
Amirah rests and Allison gets 6/7 goals
Frankie sits and Kylie comes in. I don’t have the stats but as at a minimum she plays very aggressive defense
Riley rests and Emily Sapienza has 3 goals
Gabby or Kassidy sits and Mason comes in

net effect 10 goal production from our subs last year.this year they give some rest but are ineffective

next year
Russomsno subs Lowery
Scheuten subs Daigle
Martinez subs Riley
Gil rotates with Sara and Sammy
If Lynch stays fine if not Schoefberger gets her shot. At any rate she is at a minimum at Edith outside back
Audrey Cain is a center back and might be a factor but you can’t get away from it we need two grad transfer center defenders

to me Riley is much more effective in space. Bring her inside you get a crowd.
I think Sammy is a center mid that has the freedom to attack . She has importance as a defender in mid field.. to me personally I don’t think she is a wing.

I just don’t think it’s that complicated. We are one team when we attack seven or eight and both outside backs up.

quite another when we have to pull back Riley and a mid to protect the vulnerable left side. I think all four backs are offensively leaning rather than two center backs who understand angles and who work well covering for each other and understanding risk

I don’t expect everyone to agree. Actually I would be shocked if they did, but Rich you asked and you are a good poster

You might consider this.
Last year
Frankie sits and Kylie comes in. I don’t have the stats but as at a minimum she plays very aggressive defense

net effect 10 goal production from our subs last year.this year they give some rest but are ineffective

next year
Russomsno subs Lowery
Scheuten subs Daigle
Martinez subs Riley
If Lynch stays fine if not Schoefberger gets her shot. At any rate she is at a minimum at Edith outside back
Audrey Cain is a center back and might be a factor but you can’t get away from it we need two grad transfer center defenders

I think Sammy is a center mid that has the freedom to attack . She has importance as a defender in mid field.. to me personally I don’t think she is a wing.

I just don’t think it’s that complicated. We are one team when we attack seven or eight and both outside backs up.

quite another when we have to pull back Riley and a mid to protect the vulnerable left side. I think all four backs are offensively leaning rather than two center backs who understand angles and who work well covering for each other and understanding risk

I don’t expect everyone to agree. Actually I would be shocked if they did, but Rich you asked and you are a good poster
Thanks love your input

FYI, on one of the recent telecasts, the commentator stated that Allison Lynch has already decided to return for next season (her extra COVID year). She is, by far, our best defender, so this is good news if true.
Yes she is so solid. IMO our most consistent & best player this year with Sammy close behind.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
FWIW Rutgers WSoccer is 3rd ranked B1G team and 20th overall in the latest poll.

We tied with Ohio State in the Big this year & beat them in our head to head matchup. Can someone explain to me how they ended up with a higher seed than us?

You might consider this.
Last year

next year
Russomsno subs Lowery
Scheuten subs Daigle
Martinez subs Riley

Ho, I posted earlier about Riley moving to the middle but on reflection I agree with you that she is better in space.
I really like your idea about Sammy at center mid. She would be much more involved in the offensive play. She can score with either foot & finds her mates well. She is also a tough defender.
Where I part ways is with Kaylie. I don't think that she defends well at all. She loses the the majority of 1v1 battles. Also don't think she has brought much offensively. She still has a tendency to dribble too much, though improved. And she only goes left. She also has a tendency to force low percentage strikes from distance. She does serve a nice ball on set pieces. Really think she represents a significant loss at a critical position. Perhaps she would work better at wing.

Ho, I posted earlier about Riley moving to the middle but on reflection I agree with you that she is better in space.
I really like your idea about Sammy at center mid. She would be much more involved in the offensive play. She can score with either foot & finds her mates well. She is also a tough defender.
Where I part ways is with Kaylie. I don't think that she defends well at all. She loses the the majority of 1v1 battles. Also don't think she has brought much offensively. She still has a tendency to dribble too much, though improved. And she only goes left. She also has a tendency to force low percentage strikes from distance. She does serve a nice ball on set pieces. Really think she represents a significant loss at a critical position. Perhaps she would work better at wing.
First you had a post about standings
It was complicated and may have come down to either goal difference or goals scored
Were it only is and Ohio st yes we would have tiebreaker but 4 teams have the same record
We tiebreaker over OSU
Penn st tiebreaker over us
Nebraska tiebreaker over penn st
Osu tiebreaker over penn st

next Kylie and I guess the answer might be
It doesn’t really matter as we cannot improve by replacing her..
Dilemma was graduations and transfers left 16 girls on the roster come summer camp. Three were goalies, two backup forwards, and one back.
Dilemma #2. PDA offerred no help this year as only two of the u17 girls committed in div one( as best as I remember) we got a needed goalie, the best of the PDA girls Allie Post, two forwards who will need time to mature( they are 5’2. And. 5’4) and get accustomed to the pace of the game. I believe Naila will be a really nice player but she and Allie offerred no offensive relief
We struck out grad transfers especially the 5 center backs

so as I said in another post in 2021 we got 10 goals from backups this year one and very little in the way offensive movement

ergo we are not , without surprise, as good a team as last year

incoming 2023 has one defender, 2mids, 5 forwards ( two may or not become attacking mids) So again we need hit a home run in grad transfers ( at least two)
My problem is with the exception of Madison Pogarch all our grad transfers seem to be PDA grads who ran out of time in other programs
We, this year , need to be better recruiters
Of grs
Last ms Daigle …….. I guess desperation Kylie would be one of the very few left footed attacking mids around. She loses balls because the ball is between her and defender rather than her body protecting the ball.
So as with Kassidy there might be flaws in their games but we don’t have a lot of choices for replacement.

the other flaw is we need Riley ang Kylie to be playmakers. SMmy, Becci, Sara cannot carry into range to shoot. Rather they need someone to drop the ball at their feet

this is much longer than I expected but I was doing this for out of state friends not on either board.

We tied with Ohio State in the Big this year & beat them in our head to head matchup. Can someone explain to me how they ended up with a higher seed than us?
Head to head isn’t the tie-breaker for multiple teams.

So how did they end up with a higher seed than us?
They were explaining it on TV the other day. I think it’s cumulative points of the four teams that finished with the same record vs one another? Could be wrong though.

ADVERTISEMENT