ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer Off to Big Ten Semifinals for Second Straight Season Thursday

I feel bad for our goalie. She played poorly. RU also needed to finish on the scoring chance with 18 minutes left

Reactions: 17Q66
Well ... maybe FH, lacrosse or crew can win a title ... or it’ll be 0 for 8 years

Looked like every Mike Oniell game I’ve ever watched. No offense entire second half, hoping for 1 miracle chance near the end, other team living in our end seemingly perfect passes and possession yet our team just clears it to midfield the entire half

Another underachieving performance, and completely wasted opportunity with Iowa upsetting PSU to advance to the Championship. Hobbs trimmed all the fat as far as coaches who were bottom feeders just collecting a paycheck, I have a feeling he's going to start to work on the coaches who perennially underachieve next. O'Neill needs fresh blood in the assistant game, particularly coaches outside of RU that specialize in offensive development and strategy.

Another disappointing finish. This is exhibit 110 of why Rutgers fans NEVER feel comfortable in any game

Huge choke job tonight unfortunately.

up 1-0 and basically started shelling up on offense allowing Wisc to have the ball
Terrible goal gave up for the tie.
missed a point blank shot that hit both posts
REALLY bad decision by the GK to punch the ball down into the crowd (gotta punch it up high or try to catch it - never ever into a crowd )
And again at the end a bad touch gives away a break away opportunity

missed opportunity in a big way to get RU it’s first conference championship again

Ugggh Goalie has been very good this year but not today.
There was no need to come out from the goal.
The defender was going to get to the ball first and most likely kick it to the far side for a Badger throw in.
Then on the second goal: Why did she not catch it as she got two hand on the punch out
Such a tough way to lose with a game vs. Iowa for the Championship so within reach.

Reactions: biazza38
We basically have two players attacking our opponent’s defense. Really bizarre. One of our forward’s (I don’t want to call the player out) was totally gassed. That can’t happen. Just a total disappointment.

Reactions: Scarlettrooper
Well ... maybe FH, lacrosse or crew can win a title ... or it’ll be 0 for 8 years
Wonder if 17 years from now I’ll be typing 0 for 25 years ... almost a 3rd of the way there .. before the B1G when was RU’s last conference title?

After insane wind and rain in the first half, the wind barely blew in the 2nd half when we were supposed to have the wind at our back

You can't make this shit up
If we played to win instead of playing not to loose, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

We gave up possession for the vast majority of the second half. Typical Coach O strategy, a timeless tradition. No one should be surprised by this outcome after we went up 1-0.

Another disappointing finish. This is exhibit 110 of why Rutgers fans NEVER feel comfortable in any game
The two basketball teams along with the womens soccer team had the lead in the second half of tournament games and simply couldn't score at crunch time.Its deeply disappointing to watch.

While I had not watched this team play before last night, it looked like a typical RU team under O'Neill. Yes he recruits talented players but he plays an incredibly boring low risk style of soccer. I had trouble watching it straight through and wound up flipping back and forth in the second half. Does the vaunted PDA program that is his talent pipeline play this way as well? He wins enough this way to avoid harsh criticism but you have to wonder if other coaches look at his teams and think he underachieves with the talent he gets

Yes our goalie had a bad night and I don't know how often she has to make those type of snap decisions because it seems our intent to protect our goal at all costs. While I know all teams play the ball back to the goalie to some extent, we seem to rely on that strategy an inordinate amount rather than just moving the ball forward and reversing the field through our backs and midfielders. They are all bunched on our side of the field most of the time anyway. It is amazing how few touches Ali gets and how teams can send three woman at her and not pay a price.

I realize the weather, particularly in the first half made the play difficult but ironically we score under the most adverse conditions and then lose the second half 2-0 when the weather was a less of a factor. Wisconsin looked like the fitter team although it appeared we were subbing regularly to try to keep players fresh.

Based on what I saw last night I am not sure where the optimism for a long run in the NCAA would be coming from.

Reactions: biazza38
Snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Not the first time McClelland's coming off her line has cost us. But this one takes the cake. No way the Wisky girl was getting to that ball without running over Shea Hollands back. And Holland would have played the ball back to her keeper.
Once Holland went out [perhaps due to the collision on the 1st goal] I knew I knew we were vulnerable at right center back & in short order her replacement was beaten & fouled the Wisky girl just outside the box. The ensuing free kick resulted in a goal. And as others have said McClelland should have caught the ball instead of punching it out.

If we played to win instead of playing not to loose, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

We gave up possession for the vast majority of the second half. Typical Coach O strategy, a timeless tradition. No one should be surprised by this outcome after we went up 1-0.

I dont love coach's tactics...but its hard to pin this one on him given the numerous MAJOR individual mistakes made.

You had 2 instances in 5 minutes where an attacking player is within the opponents 18, and the final pass/cross/shot (i still don't know what one of them was) doesn't even cause the opponent to blink. How can you blame the coach for that.

Yesterday was not the fault of the coach. NFW.

While I had not watched this team play before last night, it looked like a typical RU team under O'Neill. Yes he recruits talented players but he plays an incredibly boring low risk style of soccer. I had trouble watching it straight through and wound up flipping back and forth in the second half. Does the vaunted PDA program that is his talent pipeline play this way as well? He wins enough this way to avoid harsh criticism but you have to wonder if other coaches look at his teams and think he underachieves with the talent he gets

Yes our goalie had a bad night and I don't know how often she has to make those type of snap decisions because it seems our intent to protect our goal at all costs. While I know all teams play the ball back to the goalie to some extent, we seem to rely on that strategy an inordinate amount rather than just moving the ball forward and reversing the field through our backs and midfielders. They are all bunched on our side of the field most of the time anyway. It is amazing how few touches Ali gets and how teams can send three woman at her and not pay a price.

I realize the weather, particularly in the first half made the play difficult but ironically we score under the most adverse conditions and then lose the second half 2-0 when the weather was a less of a factor. Wisconsin looked like the fitter team although it appeared we were subbing regularly to try to keep players fresh.

Based on what I saw last night I am not sure where the optimism for a long run in the NCAA would be coming from.
PDA wins because they are more talented than every team they play.

before the B1G when was RU’s last conference title?
I assume you mean a team title as RU has had a few B1G conference champions in terms of individual champions (wrestling, T&F). I'm not sure I recall any team titles during the 1 year of AAC play in 2013-14 before joining the B1G in 2014-15. My guess is that there may have been an outright team title in one of the sports within the last couple years of the Big East, and if not, then at least the shared football title during the 2012 final Big East season. Who would think Kyle Flood was our last conference title winning coach? D'oh!

Last edited:
Wrestling and T&F and perhaps other sports have had individual titles but so far no RU team has won a B1G title. Women's soccer has probably been the closest on a couple of occasions but no cigar.

Wrestling and T&F and perhaps other sports have had individual titles but so far no RU team has won a B1G title. Women's soccer has probably been the closest on a couple of occasions but no cigar.
Hobbs needs to tell O'Neill to start shaking up his assistant base and start bringing in some big money assistant talent that can coach offense and develop players. This team has underachieved since the Final Four run which was now 6 years ago.

Reactions: richthedentist

Let’s be real, however, and discuss the fact that women’s basketball should have been the sport propelled to national title hopes again, once we enter the Big Ten, but we haven’t even sniffed the conference title in that sport. Absolute disaster.

Ugggh Goalie has been very good this year but not today.
There was no need to come out from the goal.
The defender was going to get to the ball first and most likely kick it to the far side for a Badger throw in.
Then on the second goal: Why did she not catch it as she got two hand on the punch out
Such a tough way to lose with a game vs. Iowa for the Championship so within reach.
That is how we lost the first game to wisconsin they had only 1 shot on goal the whole game and she made a mistake on that goal

You hit the nail on the head we just play the ball back to the goalie or just back so much its pathetic you just can't generate any offense especially when you are going backwards and this isn't just this game you watched this is how they have been playing the last few years no urgency and no offense

Again, a VERY simple solution:

With all the talent in the current Freshman class, and the best class in history coming in next year, Hobbs needs to sit O’Neill down and give him the money to hire somebody to coach the attack. PERIOD.

Pretty simple.

And if this team loses in the first round of the NCAA tournament because they can’t score a goal - AGAIN - I don’t wanna hear a single excuse. NOT ONE.

Team titles in AAC or Big East ...

ADVERTISEMENT