ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer RU 0 Illinois 0 in double OT

rudad02

All American
Nov 7, 2010
Came out just plain flat. Picked it up some in the 2nd half, but were never really sharp. Visco & Swaby in the center back had solid games. Erin Smith at the rt. outside back was excellent. Nicole Whitley added a spark off the bench & was very good. May have been a couple of others, but nothing comes to mind. Simply a let down game after Northwestern. Was concerned about it. They play at Michigan Thurs. night. Go RU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loyal-Son
short note Michigan- Rutgers 7.30 on BTN.
Michigan, to me is our most serious competition, so, even this early in the year, we need a win.

Seems like O'Neill has enough player this year competing for time that if he sense certain players are flat in a particular game he could sit them for awhile to help them regain their focus. Perhaps another sign of a young developing team. I guess a good thing that it did not cost us a loss. How has our goalie who is replacing Murphy been. Has she been tested and made crucial saves? Are we settled there?

Seems like O'Neill has enough player this year competing for time that if he sense certain players are flat in a particular game he could sit them for awhile to help them regain their focus. Perhaps another sign of a young developing team. I guess a good thing that it did not cost us a loss. How has our goalie who is replacing Murphy been. Has she been tested and made crucial saves? Are we settled there?

She is not Casey but who is. The defense in front of her is so good that the stats are not the devining point they could be
But in 9 games 6 shutouts and four goals allowed with two being penalty kicks

feelinit, O'Neill did do what you suggest. He played 19 field players, a few who didn't see action against NW, in an attempt to create a spark. Inserted "regulars" back in. Nothing really shifted their gears. Thought Illinois played well, but we were far from ourselves. Did out shoot them 10-4, but very few were quality chances.

As for our keeper senior Alana Jimenez, she has been playing well. With our defense all over the field philosophy she hasn't been tested too severely, but has made some nice saves on the good chances she has faced. Would like to see her clears sharpen up a bit, although I think she is coming on there. Looks like she will be in net.

She is not Casey but who is. The defense in front of her is so good that the stats are not the devining point they could be
ho26, I'm probably the only RU supporter who didn't think Murphy was as good as her billing.

ho26, I'm probably the only RU supporter who didn't think Murphy was as good as her billing.
Oh my god
She alternates with Riker ( penn st ) on the u20wnt world cup and keeps pitching shutouts and Riker gives up 2 goals a game.
When she came in she took over placing the defense and ball flow. She is excellent with both feet on passbacks. Sees the whole field and doesnt make bad decisions.
Guy all opinions are, of course welcome, but she was the messiah.
This very young team with national team members Amirah Ali, Aideen McDonaghue, and i think Alexa Ferreira coming in, one years experience with the superbly talented freshmen, and Caseys return can take us all the way to the promised land next year

Just sayin,,,,, i dont force opinions on anyone
I dont know where where you guys come from but i come from the same town as Oneill, Harkes, Tab Ramos and Meola in Kearny. They have a goalie meaghen McClelland( casey successor ) 2018
That is pretty exciting to watch. So she is with the u17 national world cup team at the moment but if you like goalie play you should see her. They are not a good team though

Oh my god
She alternates with Riker ( penn st ) on the u20wnt world cup and keeps pitching shutouts and Riker gives up 2 goals a game.
When she came in she took over placing the defense and ball flow. She is excellent with both feet on passbacks. Sees the whole field and doesnt make bad decisions.
This very young team with national team members Amirah Ali, Aideen McDonaghue, and i think Alexa Ferreira coming in, one years experience with the superbly talented freshmen, and Caseys return can take us all the way to the promised land next year

I dont know where where you guys come from but i come from the same town as Oneill, Harkes, Tab Ramos and Meola in Kearny. They have a goalie meaghen McClelland( casey successor ) 2018
That is pretty exciting to watch. So she is with the u17 national world cup team at the moment but if you like goalie play you should see her. They are not a good team though
Thank you very much for welcoming my opinion. I haven't closely watched the play of the u20 team & glad to hear she is playing very well. However, I did see her all last year at RU & thought that, while good, she missed a few she should have had & was slow to react on a few, while benefiting from an excellent defense. Simply stating that, in my view, she wasn't as good as her all world billing.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for welcoming my opinion. I haven't closely watched the play of the u20 team & glad to hear she is playing very well. However, I did see her all last year at RU & thought that, while good, she missed a few she should have had & was slow to react on a few, while benefiting from an excellent defense. Simply stating that, in my view, she wasn't as good as her all world billing.
Ok fair enough

Oh my god

Could you share more about next year's incoming class with us? Is there a source for that information?

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like this team is moving into the category of many powerhouse teams which just reload, not rebuild.

Could you share more about next year's incoming class with us? Is there a source for that information?

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like this team is moving into the category of many powerhouse teams which just reload, not rebuild.
I can do that later but i need to go out now

Loyal-Son, I'll let ho26 answer your question as he seems to know a good deal about our recruits & your question was to him. In the meantime if you want some names & a little info. google Rutgers Women's Soccer commitments.

I think the OP was right on target with his comments. I went to the game yesterday, only the 2nd time I've ever been to a women's soccer game. After Saturday's nail biting football game, I was hoping for a relaxing afternoon. I picked the wrong day for that.

"Flat" is probably the best word to describe how the team seemed. Illinois played well, probably better than they have all season (their record is not good) and RU is lucky to have not lost the game, which seemed very possible since more of the action was on their offensive end, not ours. Illinois was passing very well, RU did not, especially in the first half, when it seemed as though nearly half of our passes went to Illinois players without them even having to move. Illinois had a very scary player - #11 - who was huge and very fast. We are fortunate she did not score and that she sat out for long stretches of the game, on three occasions that I noticed, possibly due to her not having the stamina needed to play at her pace for an entire contest.

The 3 points we would have gotten for a win would have given us 9 points and put us in at least a tie for 1st place in the B1G, depending upon the outcomes of other games played yesterday, which I have not checked on.

loyal son your request is my command. And i rather like it and hope we can generate more interest and make it a viable soccer forum
But again when you type this much there will be errors and its mostly opinion

No one ever takes 13 freshman onto team as most good players commit as sophs
and when 5 spots became available late he did a lot better then be expected. At least 5 of those players are combination mids- forwards or mids - defense.The most versatile Tierney wiltshire have been regularly playing minutes at all three spots.
So my initial thought is Wiltshire steps in for Erin Smith when she graduates

The mids lose Tori Prager and Jen Andressen. Taylor Aylmer is playing 30 minutes a game and she will take one center mid spot
Commit 2017 midfielders
Gabriella Provenzano PDA
Ciara TErrabasso Pittsburgh River Hounds ( you would not know this program as they just received ECLN approval
The unknown( to me )
Alexa Ferreira center mid PDA/ Watchung hills
She made the u14, u15 national teams and was injured badly in summer 2015 and did not play for national team or her hs team fall 2015.
She did commit to Rutgers early. She decommitted in fall 2015
Here is where it is fuzzy so i would appreciate if someone who knows her can fill in the blanks
She used that time to visit ivy league schools , and other schools. She is worth this time because as a soph she was rated the number 4 center mid in the country
Earlier this year a poster here, when I requested info, said she decided she really wanted Rutgers , recommited , and will be here in August
So you will have 2-3 incoming freshmen battling for one spot

Part two you should take a goalie every year. 2017 is Caitlyn Ferreira fro f/c massachusettes
Alana graduates and Casey Murphy will be back for 2 years
Forwards
Madison Tierney, Jess Plucharsky, Erica Murphy, Ali Ryan graduate .
Colby, laPlant, Hendly are back and Wiltshire can play here also
2017 Amirah Ali is quite fast, plays on the national team will be a factor
The last 2 017 recruits are defenders
Dana Goldstein PDA/ Shawnee
Aideen Odonoghue another on the u18 national team and from the Pittsburgh River hounds

Other commits last friday Julianne leskauskas a PDA/ St Rose mf and national tem u14/ or 15 member became the first in the 2020 class
2019 none0
G Meaghan McClelland g PdA from Kearny
mf Hayley Baer nj stallions/ mahwah
Alicia D'oust i need to find her club
f MYA Daniels nj wildcats/ long brnch
F Shea Holland PDA/ Toms river east
Meaghan is goalie for the u17 national world cup team now and Shea and Hayley ( i think ) are on the national team also
Much too long but rather drips and drabs you now know what i know
To keep up Top drawer soccer in your toolbar...hit commitments.. type Rutgers... hit m/f

lol she's having a GREAT season. She has literally allowed 2 goals in 9 games NOT off of PK's. That's nuts!

FYI last year we went 0-2 on the Illinois "swing" losing 2-0 to The Illini then 1-0 to Northwestern. A "win-win" this past weekend IMHO.

Huge game tonite against Michigan - #19 vs. #17. A win would do a lot toward helping RU challenge for the conference title and right now we still have a game in hand against several of the other teams at the top of the B1G standings.

I thought when they went up 2-1 in the second half we had this one. Now 2-2 in OT. First time I have seen them this year and there is a lot to like. We were the dominant team in the second half but with the inclement weather, one slip and anything can happen.

Really tough loss for the girls LUCKILY they have a couple days to rest, following a couple of OT games recently, before taking on 5-5-1 MSU on Sunday. Complete domination but you just had that feeling, when Mich got that semi-lucky 2nd goal, that things were going to go the wrong way.

IMHO - Tiernan is awesome, and I hope I don't offend anyone, but, she took too many long distance shots tonight, when we were completely dominating and she had time to pass, with teammates open, for maybe 2-3 better opportunities. That being said she absolutely busts her ass non-stop on the field and makes those opportunities for herself, quite often, so I can't really be too upset.

crazy stat of the game:

The #11 (Jimenez) and #14 (Jackson) goalies nationally, having given up 4(2 to PK's) and 3 goals the entire season coming into tonight, give up 5 goals. Weather definitely a factor I'd say.

Really tough loss for the girls LUCKILY they have a couple days to rest, following a couple of OT games recently, before taking on 5-5-1 MSU on Sunday. Complete domination but you just had that feeling, when Mich got that semi-lucky 2nd goal, that things were going to go the wrong way.

IMHO - Tiernan is awesome, and I hope I don't offend anyone, but, she took too many long distance shots tonight, when we were completely dominating and she had time to pass, with teammates open, for maybe 2-3 better opportunities. That being said she absolutely busts her ass non-stop on the field and makes those opportunities for herself, quite often, so I can't really be too upset.

IMO you nailed it.You want your striker to have that kind of confidence, but she was taking many shots that had very little chance of going in. A striker has to be willing to share with her teammates when the good shot is not there.

We have dominated the defensive third and mid-field for a few years, but have struggled in the final 3rd. I thought we were getting over the hump last year, but the same issues seem to be rearing their ugly head again this year.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year when Tiernan is not there. Her work habits are a huge plus, but not being willing enough to share the ball is not.

I believe UM had a senior who scored 3 goals. She did not have a ton of shots, but she found a way to get in a position where she had great shots to take, and she made them.

We also have 2 frosh in the defensive middle, and I think that has cost us a couple of times - to be expected. They have played exceptionally well for 95% of the time, so I am delighted to have them contributing there. It is just the cost of introducing new girls to the college game. Next year we are going to have a dynamite defensive backfield. We have to replace one excellent player, but we have 3 very strong ones coming back. Wright is exceptional IMO.

Perhaps the coaches see it entirely different from how I see it, but I can't imagine they were very happy about letting that game slip away.

IMO you nailed it.You want your striker to have that kind of confidence, but she was taking many shots that had very little chance of going in. A striker has to be willing to share with her teammates when the good shot is not there.

We have dominated the defensive third and mid-field for a few years, but have struggled in the final 3rd. I thought we were getting over the hump last year, but the same issues seem to be rearing their ugly head again this year.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year when Tiernan is not there. Her work habits are a huge plus, but not being willing enough to share the ball is not.

I believe UM had a senior who scored 3 goals. She did not have a ton of shots, but she found a way to get in a position where she had great shots to take, and she made them.

We also have 2 frosh in the defensive middle, and I think that has cost us a couple of times - to be expected. They have played exceptionally well for 95% of the time, so I am delighted to have them contributing there. It is just the cost of introducing new girls to the college game. Next year we are going to have a dynamite defensive backfield. We have to replace one excellent player, but we have 3 very strong ones coming back. Wright is exceptional IMO.

Perhaps the coaches see it entirely different from how I see it, but I can't imagine they were very happy about letting that game slip away.
Loyal Son, agree with your analysis.

consider this opinion
If only predicated on selfishness Oneill would have sat her after 5 minutes. I think this a mandated strategy
! score on a hard high shot
2 blast a lasar into the box you get a defender block and a chance to redirect, or just treat it as a pass
3 a lasar can produce a hands ball
4 shot could go out of bounds awarding you a corner kick
6 things can happen and 5 are good. Sadly you are getting sailing balls rather than 3foot high blasts
Why this would become stategy was early om Erica, Colby, Jessica, Seddon do not have the foot skills, in the box, to create separation so this was the pancea
With Hendly, Laplant and sometime Wiltshire that may not be the case now, or soon
But trust if it was just being a ball hog she would sit

That may well be what the coaches were thinking. I thought I saw a few too many less-than-laser shots from 30+ yards out. On the other hand, it was a damp night - so the goalie is going to have much more trouble handling the ball,

I think coaches prefer a striker with enough confidence to appear "selfish". IMO she was too eager to shoot last night, but I do not see the game as our coaches do - and I have not taken a team to the National Championship game yet. They have..

I thought I only saw one defender for two UM players in the box when the last goal was scored; which I would interpret to mean someone missed an assignment. So I don't really know whose fault that score was.

It was eerily similar to the Georgetown game. An overtime period started, and we didn't seem to get our heads in the game immediately, allowing the other team to set up an excellent scoring chance. Gentlemen, what is your feeling as to why that appeared to be the case? Were we so confident we were going to quickly force the action down into their end that we forgot to think about defense? Or did they just catch us off-balance and score before we could gather ourselves?

As far as taking Tiernan out after 15 minutes if the coaches thought she was being too selfish, it seems a little simplistic. She was making a huge positive contribution through her energy and hustle, so the coaches have to balance that huge plus with any minuses.

Last edited:
Reactions: rudad02
That may well be what the coaches were thinking. I thought I saw a few too many less-than-laser shots from 30+ yards out. On the other hand, it was a damp night - so the goalie is going to have much more trouble handling the ball,

I think coaches prefer a striker with enough confidence to appear "selfish". IMO she was too eager to shoot last night, but I do not see the game as our coaches do - and I have not taken a team to the National Championship game yet. They have..

I thought I only saw one defender for two UM players in the box when the last goal was scored; which I would interpret to mean someone missed an assignment. So I don't really know whose fault that score was.

It was eerily similar to the Georgetown game. An overtime period started, and we didn't seem to get our heads in the game immediately, allowing the other team to set up an excellent scoring chance. Gentlemen, what is your feeling as to why that appeared to be the case? Were we so confident we were going to quickly force the action down into their end that we forgot to think about defense? Or did they just catch us off-balance and score before we could gather ourselves?
We seemed slow in the 2nd OT & on our heels a bit unlike in the 1st. Perhaps it was tired legs after a double OT with Illinois on Sun., but I don't think so. If memory serves me right, we did get called for some fouls right away, giving Michigan set pieces & the ball in our end taking away any momentum we might have created.

ADVERTISEMENT