ADVERTISEMENT

Womens Soccer - RU-OSU; 0-0

Loyal-Son

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2016
I did not get to see the PSU game; but I saw most of this one.

We were outplayed. It ended up a tie only because of great goal-keeping and the officials keeping their whistles in their pockets for penalties in the box.

I am not sure what the issue was, but we looked tired and slow. Perhaps it was so many over-time games having an effect on the team. Maybe it was the fact that OSU has never beaten us, so we came in a little uninspired. Maybe it was a let-down after PSU.

Tiernan will be a big loss. She is relentless out there and loves contact. I really enjoyed the announcers comments about NJ girls having a reputation for playing physical.

I wonder where OSU gets their players. I don't think I have seen another team with so many big, solid girls - and most of them could move. We have lots of freshmen who are slim, so I am thinking it is harder for them too adapt to our physical style.

Does anyone know if freshman"hit the wall" like they do in some other sports? I think it will be difficult to do well in the tournaments with so many freshman, but I am still hopeful.

Loyal-Son, was just going to post & saw yours. Agree we were out played at OSU. Also watched the Penn State game & though closer, thought we were out played there some as well. Agree as well that Alana Jimenez saved the OSU tie. She also made two excellent saves to keep the PSU game a tie.

Our girls have had six of their last seven games go to OT, five to double OT, most of them on the road. I think our girls are exhausted, it especially showed in the OSU. Their legs were shot. It seemed like Kennie Wright, who is the quintessential energizer bunny, could hardly move. And yes, I wondered how the schedule of away games & traveling late in the season would affect our freshmen. And now, how the addition of all the OT,s will affect them or have affected them as well. I believe all of this has had an effect. It is really good that they have until Sat at home against Nebraska. We still have a real shot at finishing 4th in the BIG, but may need to win out to get there.

Jimenez has been great in goal all year. Can't think of a goal she should have had. Many great saves. One area she has to improve on is her goal kicks & free kicks. She will all to often hook them out of bounds, coughing the ball right back up. This unforced error ought to be able to be corrected. All in all our girls, especially with so many freshmen seeing so much time, are acquitting themselves very well. Madison Tiernan being left off the list of 100 best players list by the coaches is both small-minded & a disgrace. One last point, aside from the take down in the box which you correctly noted, we are getting consistently screwed by the refs. In the PSU game Ciarroca was mugged & taken down from behind outside the box in wide open spaces & plain view. No call. Late in the game we took it down the left side & crossed it & had two of our girls unmarked heading to the goal. Late whistle with some mysterious call gave the ball to them. Rutgers taking on the BIG establishment. Reflected in the call of the game as well, especially with OSU.

Last edited:
soccer strategies can appear to belie facts. After Michigan ties and losses were out of the questions to have a chance at multiple home games in the big 10 tournament. So more girls had to be put into the attack
Ergo three forwards and 3 mids. Doing this forces an area 15 yards by 50 yards to be split by the three remaining mids. Our mids are technically sould but dont have sprinter speed so you accept relinquishing midfield to try for a stronger attack
further note how often Erin Smith, and Kenie Wright moved up 70-80 yards from defense to attacking the goal. The problem is if the ball comes out the other way you need to sprint bank that 80 yards to defend. Until them Swaby, and Visco are caught defending a huge area.
To help understand. The british league manual suggests an outside mid will run 7miles 249 yards during the match. Also note the will make 110-150 ( in overtime )bursts of 20 yards or so. Ergo two outside mids and two outside defenders continue to be exhausted
You would need to trust me on this but when we enevitably switch back to 4 mids we will assume total control of midfield, the passes will be shorter crisper,instead of lunging at the ball ineffectively you will body up, you will have the energy to attack the ball rather than waiting for it to come to you
We were not outplayed but if we play those midfielders this is more a defensive team and we struggle for goals. We have played dead on with 6 top 25 teams in what most would have considered a rebuilding, reloading year
This will be the first six day off period , at home, in more than a month and I, for one, expect a huge effort saturday
)

Last edited:
Reactions: Loyal-Son
I did not get to see the PSU game; but I saw most of this one.

We were outplayed. It ended up a tie only because of great goal-keeping and the officials keeping their whistles in their pockets for penalties in the box.

I am not sure what the issue was, but we looked tired and slow. Perhaps it was so many over-time games having an effect on the team. Maybe it was the fact that OSU has never beaten us, so we came in a little uninspired. Maybe it was a let-down after PSU.

Tiernan will be a big loss. She is relentless out there and loves contact. I really enjoyed the announcers comments about NJ girls having a reputation for playing physical.

I wonder where OSU gets their players. I don't think I have seen another team with so many big, solid girls - and most of them could move. We have lots of freshmen who are slim, so I am thinking it is harder for them too adapt to our physical style.

Does anyone know if freshman"hit the wall" like they do in some other sports? I think it will be difficult to do well in the tournaments with so many freshman, but I am still hopeful.
their goalie and one defender, at least are from new jersey

when Madison leaves Amirah Ali is similar, Very fast and like Madison she is solid . Amirah is 2017 plays on the u18 national team and its a fair swap.Penn State hits new jersey very hard also. Ani Sarkisian of michigan played youth soccer with my daughter in New Jersey. the injured Osu goalie is from central jersey and two defenders are also. also read prior post about the ground they cover in a match plus the stress of every game being important

If they made the changes you are describing in order to generate more offense, it was definitely not working. I don't think we had one decent chance the whole game.

Are you thinking they are going to revert back to former strategy, or will they give this change more time? Or make more adjustments to prevent fatigue?

Is your daughter currently on the team?

ho26, saw that Alexa Ferreira is now listed on our 2017 commitment list. Is it your understanding that she is with us? Know you had a question earlier.

ho26, saw that Alexa Ferreira is now listed on our 2017 commitment list. Is it your understanding that she is with us? Know you had a question earlier.
yeah top drawer has her listed also. As an aside one of the things ilove about these boards is the willingness of people to share
A few months ago i asked, i guess rhetorically, about her. A poster came forward who knew the situation and detailed what would happen

If they made the changes you are describing in order to generate more offense, it was definitely not working. I don't think we had one decent chance the whole game.

Are you thinking they are going to revert back to former strategy, or will they give this change more time? Or make more adjustments to prevent fatigue?

Is your daughter currently on the team?

loyal son I am not close to the program so i can offer no opinion. Mike and meg are great coaches, to me, and will do what gives them the best chance of winning. But not unlike football you need to , sometimess, weaken one position to strengthen another.

no as with a lot of girls who play academy soccer she decided she wanted a life and playing 11 1/2 months a year, for 10 years, with three practices a week, games, or two day tournaments do not allow for that. The survivors of that are the truly gifted, or a fantastic will to succeed, and do but you sacarifice a great deal to get there. Ani would have played 7 days a week if allowed and thats why she is an all big ten player

About freshmen and the wall i dont know. i have never seen a program bring in this many girls ready to play and actually give them serious minutes. Most coaches do not like playing freshmen. Six months ago they were matching shoes, and gowns for the prom now we expect they compete for the big ten championship

Two weeks ago, michigan, the plane landed at 1am and the girls, if at all, got to sleep at ? Somewhere classes fit in, and homework, laundry, perhaps menstrual cycles, getting to your site for meals, texting friends. Have Friday off than on a plane for an 11am gameD(mst ) as against all games one hour from home, mom cooks, mom does laundry, your own bed, home support. its tough for 17-18 year olds away for the first time

Can't seem to post a new thread. Anyone else having trouble? Wanted to note that BTN will now be televising our Wed. 8pm game with Wisconsin.

Last edited:
We have now played to OT or Double OT in 7 of our last 8 games. This team has GOT to be exhausted right now. 6 TIES in conference play. Now...that being said...one would think this could be a HUGE "plus" come B1G and NCAA tournament time. Young team learns, rests, grows up.

ADVERTISEMENT