ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer RU vs Navy

While preseason comparisons don't say much, last year Rutgers beat Navy 5-0 in the opening scrimmage in Piscataway. Rutgers also beat Monmouth 6-0 at home in the regular season. I am guessing that if the starters played more on Sunday the final score would have been greater than 3-0. At this point anything that shows the team on par with last year's team is a very good sign. By the way the US U 20 team beat Ghana 3-0 in the opener of group play in the World Cup. Emily Mason started and played the entire game.

Reactions: ScarletDave
While preseason comparisons don't say much, last year Rutgers beat Navy 5-0 in the opening scrimmage in Piscataway. Rutgers also beat Monmouth 6-0 at home in the regular season. I am guessing that if the starters played more on Sunday the final score would have been greater than 3-0. At this point anything that shows the team on par with last year's team is a very good sign. By the way the US U 20 team beat Ghana 3-0 in the opener of group play in the World Cup. Emily Mason started and played the entire game.
Can't abide by players leaving their College teams to play in international matches. It's either your team or it's not. If they're that good they will be recognized as so in their collegiate careers & will be drafted & play pro.

Can't abide by players leaving their College teams to play in international matches. It's either your team or it's not. If they're that good they will be recognized as so in their collegiate careers & will be drafted & play pro.
Couldn't disagree more. The experience she'll gain by playing in the tourney will help get immensely and thus help Rutgers when she gets back.

Couldn't disagree more. The experience she'll gain by playing in the tourney will help get immensely and thus help Rutgers when she gets back.
Agreed we have and every team has players leaving to play on that team
Mia Justus of FSU is the goalie

Re: Players leaving their teams to play in tourneys. Know I'm in a minority of one but IMO it's Bulls%it. It's your team or it's not. Stay with it.
Great to see Tiernan with 4 assists. She is a great feeder who will find her mates. She can find the back of the net as well.

Last edited:
Re: Players leaving their teams to play in tourneys. Know I'm in a minority of one but IMO it's Bulls%it. It's your team or it's not. Stay with it.
Great to see Tiernan with 4 assists.
We have had girls leaving to play on their country’s teams for years and as I stated before it was BS that Riley didn’t make the as I think she was easily one of the top freshman in the country last year so we could have been without both of them now

We have had girls leaving to play on their country’s teams for years and as I stated before it was BS that Riley didn’t make the as I think she was easily one of the top freshman in the country last year so we could have been without both of them now
Was going to say the same about Riley. Yes we should be without both of them now. And I have disagreed with the practice for years.

Was going to say the same about Riley. Yes we should be without both of them now. And I have disagreed with the practice for years.
Ok I don’t think Riley was ever going to be considered. This was, rather, a chance to see her and how she fits At this level for the future.
Emily has been national team for 5-6 years now and most of the team has similar backgrounds. Riley doesn’t .
I understand we all like Riley but if unaware Olivia Moultrie at 16 plays in the NWSL and 17 year old Jaeden Shaw just signed with San Diego. Her chance will come

Ok I don’t think Riley was ever going to be considered. This was, rather, a chance to see her and how she fits At this level for the future.
Emily has been national team for 5-6 years now and most of the team has similar backgrounds. Riley doesn’t .
I understand we all like Riley but if unaware Olivia Moultrie at 16 plays in the NWSL and 17 year old Jaeden Shaw just signed with San Diego. Her chance will come
To go off this, forward depth in the US is much, much deeper than defending depth. It doesn’t hurt Emily that there aren’t too many stand out defenders in her age group whereas there’s a plethora of outstanding forwards around Riley’s age. And in those cases, sometimes experience trumps it all.

That said, there’s plenty of stories of players getting cut at youth levels before making their national team debut, most notably Rutgers’ own Carli Lloyd and defender and captain of the USWNT Becky Sauerbrunn. Sauerbrunn even said one of the reasons she got cut was because the coach claimed she didn’t have the energy of a CB, which isn’t really something she felt that she could control. National team is weird sometimes. Players have just gotta work hard and see what happens most of the time.

To go off this, forward depth in the US is much, much deeper than defending depth. It doesn’t hurt Emily that there aren’t too many stand out defenders in her age group whereas there’s a plethora of outstanding forwards around Riley’s age. And in those cases, sometimes experience trumps it all.

That said, there’s plenty of stories of players getting cut at youth levels before making their national team debut, most notably Rutgers’ own Carli Lloyd and defender and captain of the USWNT Becky Sauerbrunn. Sauerbrunn even said one of the reasons she got cut was because the coach claimed she didn’t have the energy of a CB, which isn’t really something she felt that she could control. National team is weird sometimes. Players have just gotta work hard and see what happens most of the time.
Interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT