ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer Scrimmage Vs Monmouth On Sunday

Based on IG, it looked pretty well attended despite the heat. I thought Yurcak was getting a new scoreboard though...I'm disappointed to see the HS level scoreboard that has always been there and was hoping for a video scoreboard.

If you go, let us know how the team looks. It's hot as hell out though so I understand if you opt out.
I ended up going to the game! Not as hot as I had feared and the game was well attended, though I think quite a few of them were Monmouth fans.

Everyone from the starting 11 last year were in the starting 11 in the exhibition except for Emily Mason for obvious reasons. Looked like maybe Adriana Kuryla was playing CB with Kassidy Banks but it was hard to tell without numbers. And Daigle and Lowrey were also starting. Looked like Brocious was playing attacking mid which I found a little surprising but she made some great runs to get the ball in the first period. Everyone else played more or less where you'd expect them to.

First impression was that it took a while for the team to settle in, though that was to be expected. First goal came in the last 5 mins or so of the first third from Riley, who's really improved her ability to send through balls in btw, and then the coaches switched out the entire starting 11 for mostly freshmen and transfers to play the second. Romano impressed me in the second "flight" so to speak, probably the best on the field in the second period. Of the new players, who I'm guessing was Hailey Gutowski based on the cheering was the only one who really stood out to me in a good way, as she was really going after the ball on defense and played pretty well with Girman. She's coming from the AAC, which is a solid wsoc conference, so I wouldn't be surprised if she earns some minutes down the line.

The other two goals came in literally the first two minutes of the final third when the starting 11 was put back in (minus McClelland, as the coaches gave all four goalkeepers time). They looked far more settled and the passes were more crisp at that point. The other two goals, from my eye, were from Brocious and Lowrey but the people behind me said the one I attributed to Brocious was scored by Daigle. So not really sure on that one. Then coaches put the bench back in shortly afterwards.

Overall impression I'd say is that the starting 11 is very good, and Girman and Romano should be first off the bench (and maybe Kuryla once Mason gets back). The new players looked very nervous and didn't pass particularly well but I had to remind myself that it's only their 6th day in the program officially so it'll probably be an adjustment period not only acclimating to the increased competition but also to each other. GK depth chart I'd say is McClelland-Kennet-Bodmer-Walter, based on what I saw from each. That's about it. :)

I ended up going to the game! Not as hot as I had feared and the game was well attended, though I think quite a few of them were Monmouth fans.

Everyone from the starting 11 last year were in the starting 11 in the exhibition except for Emily Mason for obvious reasons. Looked like maybe Adriana Kuryla was playing CB with Kassidy Banks but it was hard to tell without numbers. And Daigle and Lowrey were also starting. Looked like Brocious was playing attacking mid which I found a little surprising but she made some great runs to get the ball in the first period. Everyone else played more or less where you'd expect them to.

First impression was that it took a while for the team to settle in, though that was to be expected. First goal came in the last 5 mins or so of the first third from Riley, who's really improved her ability to send through balls in btw, and then the coaches switched out the entire starting 11 for mostly freshmen and transfers to play the second. Romano impressed me in the second "flight" so to speak, probably the best on the field in the second period. Of the new players, who I'm guessing was Hailey Gutowski based on the cheering was the only one who really stood out to me in a good way, as she was really going after the ball on defense and played pretty well with Girman. She's coming from the AAC, which is a solid wsoc conference, so I wouldn't be surprised if she earns some minutes down the line.

The other two goals came in literally the first two minutes of the final third when the starting 11 was put back in (minus McClelland, as the coaches gave all four goalkeepers time). They looked far more settled and the passes were more crisp at that point. The other two goals, from my eye, were from Brocious and Lowrey but the people behind me said the one I attributed to Brocious was scored by Daigle. So not really sure on that one. Then coaches put the bench back in shortly afterwards.

Overall impression I'd say is that the starting 11 is very good, and Girman and Romano should be first off the bench (and maybe Kuryla once Mason gets back). The new players looked very nervous and didn't pass particularly well but I had to remind myself that it's only their 6th day in the program officially so it'll probably be an adjustment period not only acclimating to the increased competition but also to each other. GK depth chart I'd say is McClelland-Kennet-Bodmer-Walter, based on what I saw from each. That's about it. :)
Good to hear re: Riley. Hope her much improved through balls indicate that she is not hanging on to the ball too long & trying to beat several defenders--only short coming I could see with her game. Her crosses are excellent & she can find the back of the net. She is fast & tough as well. Just an outstanding talent.
Did you notice Daigle holding on to the ball & dribbling too much? If she cleans that up from last year & moves the ball she will be very good.
Glad to hear about Brocius. IMO she really made strides last year on top of a good frosh year. Played with more confidence & strength on the ball. And she can find that loose ball around the box & deposit it.
Good to hear that Lowrey got one--great foot & a warrior.
Also glad to see your take on Romano. She also developed last year, playing with more confidence & strength. Ditto re: Girman.
Also good to hear about Gutowski & Kuryla. Going to need the depth that they will give us.
Once again Jules thanks for run down.

Good to hear re: Riley. Hope her much improved through balls indicate that she is not hanging on to the ball too long & trying to beat several defenders--only short coming I could see with her game. Her crosses are excellent & she can find the back of the net. She is fast & tough as well. Just an outstanding talent.
Did you notice Daigle holding on to the ball & dribbling too much? If she cleans that up from last year & moves the ball she will be very good.
Glad to hear about Brocius. IMO she really made strides last year on top of a good frosh year. Played with more confidence & strength on the ball. And she can find that loose ball around the box & deposit it.
Good to hear that Lowrey got one--great foot & a warrior.
Also glad to see your take on Romano. She also developed last year, playing with more confidence & strength. Ditto re: Girman.
Also good to hear about Gutowski & Kuryla. Going to need the depth that they will give us.
Once again Jules thanks for run down.
Re:dribbling too much/hanging onto the ball too long from Riley and Kylie, looks like the coaches are really emphasizing one-to-two touch passing so far. Coaches Ancin and Tiernan were yelling the whole time to turn and look to pass. You can tell some of them are a little nervous about doing that (defenders and Fluchel seemed fine, mixed results from everyone else to start) but no one held onto the ball overly long because of it so….Give and take. Looked like they needed to settle into a rhythm before it started to click. Not to say no one ever dribbled up the field but no one ran into two defenders more than once (except the freshmen but they’ll learn).

Riley actually came in closer to the middle at times to feed Brocious and Lowrey so she wasn’t always on the wing, which was interesting. Her defense has really improved as well. One of her tackles led to the third goal. Also think one of her feeds for Brocious was what led to what should’ve been a PK but wasn’t called (to Brocious’s very visible frustration). I think Riley’s going to be even better than last year by a considerable amount.

Re:dribbling too much/hanging onto the ball too long from Riley and Kylie, looks like the coaches are really emphasizing one-to-two touch passing so far. Coaches Ancin and Tiernan were yelling the whole time to turn and look to pass. You can tell some of them are a little nervous about doing that (defenders and Fluchel seemed fine, mixed results from everyone else to start) but no one held onto the ball overly long because of it so….Give and take. Looked like they needed to settle into a rhythm before it started to click. Not to say no one ever dribbled up the field but no one ran into two defenders more than once (except the freshmen but they’ll learn).

Riley actually came in closer to the middle at times to feed Brocious and Lowrey so she wasn’t always on the wing, which was interesting. Her defense has really improved as well. One of her tackles led to the third goal. Also think one of her feeds for Brocious was what led to what should’ve been a PK but wasn’t called (to Brocious’s very visible frustration). I think Riley’s going to be even better than last year by a considerable amount.
Really good to hear about the emphasis from Ancin & Tiernan re: turning & passing & that for the most part it was being heard. Also good to hear about Riley.

Yeah I think Riley is going to be even more outstanding this year and was very surprised she did not also make the U20 team as even against FSU in the NCAA semifinal she was very difficult for FSU to defend but as you said I would like to see not only her but all of the team with quicker one touch passes and I think adding Madison as an assistant coach is really going to pay big dividends

Yeah I think Riley is going to be even more outstanding this year and was very surprised she did not also make the U20 team as even against FSU in the NCAA semifinal she was very difficult for FSU to defend but as you said I would like to see not only her but all of the team with quicker one touch passes and I think adding Madison as an assistant coach is really going to pay big dividends
I think Ancin with an elevated & expanded role will have a huge impact.

How'd the little pistol look? Kroeger?
So it’s been a few days now so it’s a little vaguer in my memory. Grain of salt here lol. That said, I remember Kroeger playing well. Her defense led to her picking a ball off, running down the field with it to break the defense down and passing it off to Lowrey who shot the ball that rebounded and led to Riley’s first goal. (Not sure if you pictured all that but basically, Kroeger got a good key pass lol) The rest of her game was kinda just being a key cog in the machine so to speak. When you’re making accurate passes, often your performance gets overshadowed for who gets the ball, if that makes sense (similar to how Brocious played last year imo). Played good defense, kept the offense building. And I think that’s what’s needed for the team this year.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
So it’s been a few days now so it’s a little vaguer in my memory. Grain of salt here lol. That said, I remember Kroeger playing well. Her defense led to her picking a ball off, running down the field with it to break the defense down and passing it off to Lowrey who shot the ball that rebounded and led to Riley’s first goal. (Not sure if you pictured all that but basically, Kroeger got a good key pass lol) The rest of her game was kinda just being a key cog in the machine so to speak. When you’re making accurate passes, often your performance gets overshadowed for who gets the ball, if that makes sense (similar to how Brocious played last year imo). Played good defense, kept the offense building. And I think that’s what’s needed for the team this year.
That's her game. She plays a HUGE rule on this team, as such, in which I believe she'll just keep getting better at quite honestly. Total "spark plug" out there and you can see it when the team puts out videos, pre-season, that she has the perfect personality for that kind of a role.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jules99b
Good to hear about Kroeger. Assume she played the same game vs Navy. She has excellent skills & instincts. She is also relentless & a fierce competitor. Would like to see her find the back of the net soon. Last year she missed several excellent looks & sent her shots either wide or over the crossbar. A goal for her would break the ice & probably help her confidence.
And yes Nuts, she sure is a sparkplug.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Good to hear about Kroeger. Assume she played the same game vs Navy. She has excellent skills & instincts. She is also relentless & a fierce competitor. Would like to see her find the back of the net soon. Last year she missed several excellent looks & sent her shots either wide or over the crossbar. A goal for her would break the ice & probably help her confidence.
And yes Nuts, she sure is a sparkplug.
She is going to take the place of Gabby this year not on defense but as you say that spark plug player that every team needs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT