ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer

WV beat La Salle 1-0, though they really out played them, & Penn State 2-1.

It is in fact free. Production quality is surprisingly good too. Of course you'll have to put up with our announcers. Even they though aren't as bad as many other team's announcers I've endured.

Anyone willing to give me a quick primer on your team?

Goalie is a future USWNT player. Team built on very solid D. Lots of skilled talent up front. Problem with the team is it’s very young, and finding the back of the net can be tough sometimes. Often low scoring games (1-0, 0-0 shootout).

How about you guys?

Goalie is a future USWNT player. Team built on very solid D. Lots of skilled talent up front. Problem with the team is it’s very young, and finding the back of the net can be tough sometimes. Often low scoring games (1-0, 0-0 shootout).

How about you guys?
Ditto. We pack it in between 18 and 30 yards. Casey Murphy is the real deal in goal. Amirah Ali is a freshman who will be a leading scorer in the B1G for he next few years. They're very young and run like deer. The last time hey lost it was penalty kicks. No one should EVER miss a PK but that's your best chance. Try to take them into deep water and hope they can't settle down enough to push the goals across.

How about you guys?

Damn, six feet tall, rJr. with a .288 GAA (#1 Nationally) and .918 Save % (#2 Nationally) sounds formidable indeed. Actually she sounds like a wall.

For comparison our goalie is Rylee Foster, So. with .56 GAA (#22 Nationally) and a .744 Save % (#174 Nationally).

Whelp, that settles whose got the edge in goal.

As for your young team, I think you'll agree we've got the edge in experience.

We returned 9 starters off last years College Cup runner up team. Unfortunately the two we lost were all world Kadeisha Buchannon who won the MAC Hermann Trophy and was awarded the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup Best Young Player Award; and Ashley Lawrence who finished 9th on the TDS list of the best female soccer players last year. Point is we're experienced but that's a lotta talent to lose.

Also coach Niki Izzo-Brown is notorious for her brutal scheduling, five ranked OOC matches in a five week span. She must believe in it because she does it every year.

#5 Georgetown W 1-0
#10 Virginia L 1-2 (2OT)
#1 Penn St W 2-1
#6 Duke L 0-4 (ugh, hurts to type that)
#14 Princeton W 1-0
#17 TX L 0-1
#19 OK St W 1-0

We too have pretty good speed. I suspect any school in the top 25 is going to have good speed.

On offense we aren't afraid to let it rip. Michaela Abam is the player you need to worry about. With 10 goals she's accounted for 25% of our total goals (39). However, Alli Magaletta, Heather Kaleiohi and Amandine Pierre-Louis, all seniors, have 5 goals apiece.

Here is what I mean by let it rip.

Shots per Game
WVU 21.19 (#2 Nationally)
Rutgers 11.45 (#231 Nationally)

Shots on Goal
WVU 7.67 (#32 Nationally)
Rutgers 5.50 (#210 Nationally)

Corners
WVU 7.62 (#4 Nationally)
Rutgers 3.65 (#243 Nationally)

Letting it rip doesn't necessarily mean goals though. Looks like you all get more production per shot.

Goals
WVU 1.86 (#50 Nationally)
Rutgers 1.65 (#81Nationally)

Not sure if we can glean anything about aggressiveness given a single foul difference but I was looking up stats anyway.

Fouls
WVU 8.76 (#147 Nationally)
Rutgers 7.65 (#68 Nationally)

Saves per Game (For the life of me I don't know why they rank it this way.)
Rutgers 3.35 (#283)
WVU 2.10 (#329 Nationally)

So it looks like your defense allows more work for your keeper but with her stats she's obviously up to the challenge.

Lastly, a young up and comer is Fr. Lauren Segalla (3 goals).

What do you think? Seems like it will be a frenzied offense against your entrenched defense and "wall" of a goalie. I'm also going to guess that means strategic counter attacks by your Scarlet Knights.

All stats http://www.ncaa.com/stats/soccer-women/d1

Last edited:
Ditto. We pack it in between 18 and 30 yards. Casey Murphy is the real deal in goal. Amirah Ali is a freshman who will be a leading scorer in the B1G for he next few years. They're very young and run like deer. The last time hey lost it was penalty kicks. No one should EVER miss a PK but that's your best chance. Try to take them into deep water and hope they can't settle down enough to push the goals across.

For the sake of fairness, we made the Final Four because Virginia collapsed a couple years ago in PKs. (What an exciting shootout that was! And it was Casey that started the comeback, or close to, with her PK, I believe.)

For the sake of fairness, we made the Final Four because Virginia collapsed a couple years ago in PKs. (What an exciting shootout that was! And it was Casey that started the comeback, or close to, with her PK, I believe.)
What does that mean? The teams were tied after regulation. We beat them in PK's. They didn't collapse. We won.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Jab at the quality of soccer in the Big 12? My counter punch would be let's not get distracted by conference rankings. Massey's SOS will factor in conference as well as OOC...

WVU #30
Rutgers #33

:boxing:

Was just an honest question. I did not look closely at your OOC matches but now see they include Texas and OK State so I assume they do sponsor the sport and had a couple of other ranked teams. For some reason I thought maybe they did not. I don't know enough about our program no less WVU's to be throwing stones. Having said that, I think we have a shot this weekend. Are we playing on grass in Morgantown?

Mountaineer, watched the final last year. Thought you out played Stanford & were the better team. We will have our hands full with your speed, if it equals last years.

Last edited:
Was just an honest question. I did not look closely at your OOC matches but now see they include Texas and OK State so I assume they do sponsor the sport and had a couple of other ranked teams. For some reason I thought maybe they did not. I don't know enough about our program no less WVU's to be throwing stones. Having said that, I think we have a shot this weekend. Are we playing on grass in Morgantown?

The B12 doesn't sponsor men's soccer, only women's (but perhaps not all 10 schools participate?). On the men's side, WVU has had to play soccer in the MAC since leaving the Big East.

Feelinit, I didn't take it as throwing stones. I took it as educated banter because the Big 12 in fact looks a little weak in some statistical categories compared to the other P5 conferences. So, I thought it was just friendly ribbing which I enjoy so long as it stays friendly, thus my "counter punch".

The Big 12 did finish with 3 top 25 teams depending on the author of the list, #17 TX, #19 OK St and WVU at #8. In addition we played...

#5 Georgetown W 1-0
#10 Virginia L 1-2 (2OT)
#1 Penn St W 2-1
#6 Duke L 0-4 (ugh, hurts to type that)
#14 Princeton W 1-0

Hell yes I think you have a shot. Your defensive stats are for real and if I had no loyalty I would trade you goalies right now. Of course I bleed Gold and Blue so Rylee is going to step it up and meet the challenge with a great game.

Yup grass, pretty nice facility, not elite but very nice.

Mountaineer, watched the final last year. Thought you out played Stanford & were the better team. We will have our hands full with your speed, if it equals last years.

dad02, Ya, I hate to even think about that game. USC scored in something like 45 seconds and it just haunted us the rest of the game. Minus that goal I think we outplayed them. IIRC the stats support that.

We're still pretty quick but as I said in an earlier post we lost two of the best players in college last year and Buchannon was literally all world.

Last edited:
The B12 doesn't sponsor men's soccer, only women's (but perhaps not all 10 schools participate?). On the men's side, WVU has had to play soccer in the MAC since leaving the Big East.

nTex, Yep, no men's soccer in Big 12, sucks. All ten schools now play women's soccer but this was KState's first year.

Last edited:
dad02, Ya, I hate to even think about that game. USC scored in something like 45 seconds and it just haunted us the rest of the game. Minus that goal I think we outplayed them. IIRC the stats support that.

We're still pretty quick but as I said in an earlier post we lost two of the best players in college last year and Buchannon was literally all world.
Mountaineer, my mistake it obviously was USC. I knew that--senior moment.

Making excuses for Rutgers success. A common story 'round here.

I watched the game. I followed the PKs. I'm a very big RU fan. My point was ... pretend you're the Virginia coach for 5 seconds. You're in an Elite 8 game vs. a team that you're better offensively than, albeit a great advantage in goal for RU. Your team has, what, a 2-0? 3-1? lead. Tell me you aren't disappointed when, two rounds later, things are all tied up and you go on to lose. I coached and played soccer for a number of years (at the HS level, but still). Having a lead like that and not winning would be considered choking. Even the best goalie in the country (ours) can't stop a perfectly struck/placed PK.

I'm not downplaying anything we did. I was thrilled to death and on the edge of my seat the entire time. Nobody can take away from the fact that Rutgers won. There is no asterick next to our Final Four College Cup appearance. I'm just saying that when you're down like that in PKs, you have to have the next 5-7 (or however many it was) be perfect and hope that the other team messes up. Thankfully that happened. We couldn't be stopped, and they missed their placements.

In the end you're going to disagree with me, and it's fine. But I'm not here to knock or belittle or make excuses for RU winning. I was here for discussion.

Reactions: HeyHuey
Almost time to get it on folks. Thanks for the exchanges. Anyone want to get in a last minute prediction?

WVU 1
Rutgers 0

Edit: Noticed you all are also picking goal scorer so Michaela Abam redirects a corner.

Last edited:
It is in fact free. Production quality is surprisingly good too. Of course you'll have to put up with our announcers. Even they though aren't as bad as many other team's announcers I've endured.

Anyone willing to give me a quick primer on your team?
Early on, but I've really enjoyed these announcers so far.

Also, yes, make sure your Ad-Blocker is off in order to watch the game.

jesus someone help me please lol I don't see a choice to turn it "off" temporarily

WV getting the better of it so far. They are winning the head-to-head battles. Ali keeps getting dispossessed.

Big12 defensive player of the year for WV came out with an injury. Kenie Wright is in, maybe for the first time.

ADVERTISEMENT