ADVERTISEMENT

World-class athletic fields for Rutgers University in Camden

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
"Unfortunately, the state, in its lack of wisdom, built a baseball stadium for an unaffiliated, independent league (team) that folded and $35 million disappeared," Norcross said, according to the Courier-Post. "You're going to see, in the not-too-distant future, that stadium demolished and in its place will be world-class athletic fields for Rutgers University in Camden and the public schools system and the renaissance schools in Camden."

http://www.nj.com/camden/index.ssf/2017/11/sj_powerbroker_calls_for_demolition_of_16-year-old.html

Norcross is such a hypocrite. No way "the State" builds anything in Camden County or South Jersey without his approval.

Reactions: GORU2014
This is the first sign I've seen that the Norcross machine has the slightest interest in helping any part of Rutgers. I'm not holding my breath on this one.

The city must be starting to look different. Earlier this Summer, I read the demolition of vacated/condemned buildings passed the 700 mark.

The city must be starting to look different. Earlier this Summer, I read the demolition of vacated/condemned buildings passed the 700 mark.

Hmmm. . . I wouldn't go as far as to say the city is looking different. There are an awful lot of bad buildings in Camden.

Only in NJ would the state pay millions of dollars to build a minor league ballpark only to pay millions of dollars 15 years later to demolish and build athletic fields over it.

Norcross has some type of vested interest/agenda behind all of this. Don't let him fool you.

Rutgers Camden (D3 school) needs plenty of things before world class athletic facilities.

Reactions: CaptainJersey1989
In their mind Rowan is the prize and Rutgers-Camden an afterthought. Crazy building going on in Glassboro.

As I said above...we’ll see.

George Norcross announced the stadium would be razed for athletic fields for Rutgers and Camden City schools. Camden County, owner of the property, says it's still trying to negotiate a sale, but won't say with whom — it could be Rutgers.

"At this point in time, the Camden County Improvement Authority is still involved with confidential and deliberative negotiations about prospective uses of the Waterfront Stadium," Dan Keashen, a county spokesman said. "Based on these negotiations we cannot comment on the future of the facility in order to preserve our current negotiating position."

Michael Sepanic, a spokesman for Rutgers-Camden, said he could not say what the future of the stadium will look like because the situation is "fluid," but he confirmed the university is "active" in negotiations regarding the field.

"Rutgers is negotiating and working for Rutgers to be a partner in the project," he said recently. "We need a place for our men's baseball team to play. Right now, they play at Campbell's Field and, we're looking to add lacrosse and field hockey to our roster."

The school needs a place for those new teams to play, he said.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2017/11/whoosh_how_35_million_from_taxpayer_flushed_with_d.html

Did I read the Rutgers pays over $80,000 a year to rent the statium for baseball? How many people attend these games?

Norcross wants to knock down a world-class athletic facility to build a world-class athletic facility. Right.....

So long, Campbell's Field: Rutgers unveils new plan for doomed stadium

The stadium will be replaced by a multi-purpose athletics facility with fields, modest bleachers and locker rooms for Rutgers-Camden's NCAA Division III baseball team, as well as softball, soccer, lacrosse and field hockey teams, university officials said. The fields, which would be owned by the city, would also be used by Camden students and residents.

http://www.nj.com/education/2017/12/rutgers_signs_off_on_deal_to_build_new_stadium_in.html

ADVERTISEMENT