• No, as a whole, RU is better off in the BiG

Votes: 157 78.9%
  • Yes, RU would be better off in the ACC

Votes: 42 21.1%

• Total voters

Morrischiano

All American
Dec 3, 2019
While some RU sports have been able to compete and win in the BiG, it is becoming increasingly apparent that Rutgers football will not be able to have sustained competitive success in the conference (I’ll define that with a low bar of averaging 6 wins over a 5 year period).

After 9 years, things are not improving for RU football. Without NIL money in the pipeline, the future for Rutgers football looks bleak.

So here’s the question, would Rutgers be better off competitively, culturally and financially (relative to what net costs are to be competitive in each conference) if the university was part off the ACC? Not just for football (which drives the bus for Athletic programs), but for all sports.

This is 15 years premature.

All sports are on an upward trajectory with many ranked. Just because football has the largest hill to climb shouldn’t hide the tremendous progress made throughout the athletic department.

Last edited:
ACC may not exist as we know it in 15 some odd years. No it wouldn’t be a good spot.

If GS doesn’t work keep trying and look for coaches who find ways to do more with less and find ways to make things work with what they have. They are out there and I’ve given examples from WSU, WF, Oregon St, Kansas, ISU, IU, Duke, Vandy, Miss St etc..who have shown anything from some flashes of respectability (6 win threshold) to some consistency.

Last edited:
University as a whole, yes. Football specifically? If Schiano hadn't left we would have been fine. We would have been able to capitalize on the down years of Michigan and Penn State and maybe even have kept Barkley or Taylor from decommitting? (still cannot believe 2 of the top 5 RBs in the NFL were both committed here)

I hate these f-int stupid questions.

Forget about football and all the money we bring in 100% because of our football team,?but as a University- being a part of the B1G for a University like Rutgers can only be behind IVY.

What does piss me off- is the school itself and as much benefit it is enjoying by being a part of the conference- is that they give no credit to the football program.

But these questions are just stupid.

University as a whole, yes. Football specifically? If Schiano hadn't left we would have been fine. We would have been able to capitalize on the down years of Michigan and Penn State and maybe even have kept Barkley or Taylor from decommitting? (still cannot believe 2 of the top 5 RBs in the NFL were both committed here)
If, he is back and we are t fine

Our buy-in for our share of the BTN was in the hundreds of millions of dollars, which is almost paid off. I'm sure NJ.com, the B1G and the fan base would walk away from that without a problem.

While some RU sports have been able to compete and win in the BiG, it is becoming increasingly apparent that Rutgers football will not be able to have sustained competitive success in the conference (I’ll define that with a low bar of averaging 6 wins over a 5 year period).

After 9 years, things are not improving for RU football. Without NIL money in the pipeline, the future for Rutgers football looks bleak.

So here’s the question, would Rutgers be better off competitively, culturally and financially (relative to what net costs are to be competitive in each conference) if the university was part off the ACC? Not just for football (which drives the bus for Athletic programs), but for all sports.
It’s a fair question knowing where we are right now in football, but we have improved in almost every other sport, notwithstanding the financial aspect. So we are in the right conference, even if we only ever become a middle of the road football team in the Big Ten. We have far more opportunities where we are.

Reactions: Morrischiano
We need to re-think football fundraising, offensive tactics, and roster building and management. Think outside the box. We can’t compete in football using the conventional Big Ten approach. We can’t beat the other teams at their own game.

Our buy-in for our share of the BTN was in the hundreds of millions of dollars, which is almost paid off. I'm sure NJ.com, the B1G and the fan base would walk away from that without a problem.
And give it to Cal and Stanford so they can join. God. Some people with these thread should be banned for stupidity

The fact that the RU sports program , as a whole, is light years better than it used to be is important to me . Imho That’s all about being in the Big10 (I really don’t think being in the ACC moves that needle nearly as much).

Also, and more importantly, considering the long term volatility of conference alignment I wouldn’t give up that safety for anything.

Although it is unfortunate that the most visible program (by far) happens to be a laughing stock

ACC will not exist in its current structure in a few years

The football is atrocious
Bad teams and terrible fan support

TV contract is terrible
We’d be miserable there

Would a competitive football team bring in more money?

I think absolutely
It would bring in increased donations, but not more money

Clemson won the ACC 50 straight years and we make more than them due to tv

Once the big teams in ACC get poached the league will be a shell of itself

what next a poll asking if RU should have stayed in the AAC ???
If one can't understand competing against the top level of competition is better than settling for less , I don;t know what to say to them.
Except that's the attitude the Rutgers administration had when RU went from a D-1AA type of program into a D-1A schedule without the support to help make that move successful.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Before we got accepted to the B1G i was always hoping for the ACC to bring us in. Just felt it was better with R location going down I95 along with more fertile recruiting grounds but $$$ talks...

We would be REALLY competitive in the Sun Belt Conference.

Forget ACC.
In all honesty, football would be best placed in AAC.

Starting next year. Win the AAC and you’re likely a Playoff team.
Think about how crazy that would be.

Can’t tell me we couldn’t win AAC with our biggest competition being Temple and Tulane.
Just be the best of the rest (G5) and make the playoff. Ranking doesn’t matter.

No going through OSU, UM, PSU, USC.

Before we got accepted to the B1G i was always hoping for the ACC to bring us in. Just felt it was better with R location going down I95 along with more fertile recruiting grounds but $$$ talks...
From a complete sports and academic point the Big Ten was always the place to go. The ACC is a basketball conference. Why would we want to join that? We had enough of that crap in the Big East

Reactions: MADHAT1
From a complete sports and academic point the Big Ten was always the place to go. The ACC is a basketball conference. Why would we want to join that? We had enough of that crap in the Big East
At the time not 1 of us on these boards believed the B1G was interested in saving us..

At the time not 1 of us on these boards believed the B1G was interested in saving us..
Totally disagree. We were looked at by the Big Ten before the ACC and the ACC was just a glance. I know everyone hates Jo PA on here but he wanted Rutgers to be in the Big Ten. We were seriously looked at by the Big Ten before Nebraska suddenly wanted to leave the Big 12. Big Ten did research. ACC avoided RU and took BC, Syracuse and Pitt never considered RU

Reactions: BLewis1968
Forget ACC.
In all honesty, football would be best placed in AAC.

Starting next year. Win the AAC and you’re likely a Playoff team.
Think about how crazy that would be.

Can’t tell me we couldn’t win AAC with our biggest competition being Temple and Tulane.
Just be the best of the rest (G5) and make the playoff. Ranking doesn’t matter.

No going through OSU, UM, PSU, USC.
So- the 100 mil or so difference a year plus being in the most prestigious research conference on America doesn’t mean anything.
You would much rather get that 10 mil or so a year in a crappy conference to get a couple more wins..,
Just can’t make this shit up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT