ADVERTISEMENT

Would you want this Job?

rufeelinit

Heisman Winner
May 16, 2010
"A Referee at Big Ten Conference earns an average of $62,265, ranging from $57,794 at the 25th percentile to $66,378 at the 75th percentile, with top earners (the top 10%) earning more than $70,647. Compensation is derived from fewer than 20 profiles, including base salary, equity and bonus." Source is www.paysa.com.

Do you think its worth it for a couple hours of abuse pretty much every night for five months of the year? Probably work and are on the road 5/6 nights a week. You do get your travel expenses covered as well. I used to think it would be a good way to stay in shape but you really need to be able to block out a lot of crap. And then last night when an official wants someone removed from our game and nothing happens it just perpetuates worse behavior. I wonder if RU heard about that today?

Do you think its worth it for a couple hours of abuse pretty much every night for five months of the year? Probably work and are on the road 5/6 nights a week. You do get your travel expenses covered as well. I used to think it would be a good way to stay in shape but you really need to be able to block out a lot of crap. And then last night when an official wants someone removed from our game and nothing happens it just perpetuates worse behavior. I wonder if RU heard about that today?
Tell me more about this.

Tell me more about this.

There was guy sitting courtside at center court who was wearing a white baseball cap of some sort. I am sitting on that side but up in the 200s. There was a call against us that the crowd did not like and the ball was to be inbounded right near wear the guy was sitting. I don’t recall if he got up or said what he did while sitting but he said something the ref thought was over the line and he pointed to a yellow jacket to remove him. The yellow jacket started walking toward home but the guy had no intention of leaving so the yellow jacket walked back to the baseline. They guy had a great seat so could be a significant donor but I was a little surprised the ref did not stop the game until he left. I think others mentioned it another thread.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Well 1) im shocked how poorly theyre paid. 2) no wonder the refs arent that good. Who the hell would wanna berated and kept from family bouncing around the country for 5 straight months for only $65k? Frankly, i really couldnt blame these guys if they were betting on the games

There was guy sitting courtside at center court who was wearing a white baseball cap of some sort. I am sitting on that side but up in the 200s. There was a call against us that the crowd did not like and the ball was to be inbounded right near wear the guy was sitting. I don’t recall if he got up or said what he did while sitting but he said something the ref thought was over the line and he pointed to a yellow jacket to remove him. The yellow jacket started walking toward home but the guy had no intention of leaving so the yellow jacket walked back to the baseline. They guy had a great seat so could be a significant donor but I was a little surprised the ref did not stop the game until he left. I think others mentioned it another thread.
Haha i saw that too. Courtside is only super big donors for the most part. Loved that the guy gave it to the ref

Well 1) im shocked how poorly theyre paid. 2) no wonder the refs arent that good. Who the hell would wanna berated and kept from family bouncing around the country for 5 straight months for only $65k? Frankly, i really couldnt blame these guys if they were betting on the games
I wonder how much they make refereeing scrimmages and tourneys.. is this just for conference games? Or if the Big Ten has to bring refs to a tourney is that included?

Which side/section? I'm in row B in 102 and didn't hear anyone crazy near us. Everyone yells at the refs, so it must have been something really bad...

You do realize that for most of these guys this is a part time job.

I officiated HS basketball for many years in NJ. It is a difficult job but most officials do it because they love the game. It's been a few years since I've worked but last I remember a HS varsity official was getting paid about $75 a game.
If you want to see terrible officiating these FIBA guys are horrible.

Reffed some 5th/6th grade girls games - not fun job (actually wasn’t a real job since I wasn’t paid). Would never do it at high level

You do realize that for most of these guys this is a part time job.

I officiated HS basketball for many years in NJ. It is a difficult job but most officials do it because they love the game. It's been a few years since I've worked but last I remember a HS varsity official was getting paid about $75 a game.
If you want to see terrible officiating these FIBA guys are horrible.
I was going to say that I bet most are either retired or do this as a professional hobby of sorts....it also might be a way for some to get their resumes built up to get to the NBA....gotta start somewhere...

Can't a ref T up an event against the home team for an off-court incident? I thought I recalled that happening before....hell, I think we got a Technical once on the band when I was in it for overplaying a time out. I know we were always told to NOT play during the game if the ball was in play, too.

EDIT: https://deadspin.com/byu-students-earned-the-vaunted-crowd-technical-foul-5880255

Do the same refs do Baseball umpiring or football games?

Also, do they freelance in the off season for Summer league games or tournaments? For those who were varsity players that went to celebrity camps (ie. ABCD) do they hire college refs to ref the scrimmage games?

Those guy are required to pay for camps (I usually attend 3, HS 125, basic 250, college 500) while some attend DI and D2 and/or the developmental leagues, attend 15 hours of clinics in the off season for each association, take one HS and two tests (rules and mechanics) plus any pro league, arrive a day before the game to review film, and the stay after the game to review game film, their travel and hotel is apart of the fees. DI usually gets about 3000 per game. D2 (they don't have the film requirements) about 500 per game, and D3 about 250 per game, HS is about 100 for boys and girls game. We don't do this for the money but the love of the sport. Now you have to add uniforms (each group use different shirts) and sneakers. Next time you get frustrated with a call, remember they are human trying to do their best.

I went to Linkedin and looked up NCAA refs

1 actually is a Rutgers grad who works with a recreational company full time

I saw another who's full time job was with an employee recruitment company (probably allowed to work remote a lot).

A few others had jobs in the sports and rec industry

Did the guy touch him?

the guy did not touch him. he was arguing a call with the ref. he was pretty loud about it but so was the rest of the RAC.. and being so close to the refs that ref probably had enough.... I think the refs were taking a lot of heat from our fans because they made so many ticky tac calls or "wrong" calls in RU fan's eyes. I don't know what he said exactly to make the ref snap though. we were a couple rows behind.

Last edited:
I know a guy in my town who refs Division 1 lacrosse. He's a NYPD captain but has a large family and does this for some side money. Worked his way up from lower divisions. Great guy who also coaches a number of his kids' teams. Forgot what he told me got paid per game, something like $1,000 for a couple hours work, plus expenses if he has to stay over. But most are drives for him and on the weekends.

I know a guy in my town who refs Division 1 lacrosse. He's a NYPD captain but has a large family and does this for some side money. Worked his way up from lower divisions. Great guy who also coaches a number of his kids' teams. Forgot what he told me got paid per game, something like $1,000 for a couple hours work, plus expenses if he has to stay over. But most are drives for him and on the weekends.

plus unlike most conferences the Ivy league only plays on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays so refs for them can have a midweek job.

"A Referee at Big Ten Conference earns an average of $62,265, ranging from $57,794 at the 25th percentile to $66,378 at the 75th percentile, with top earners (the top 10%) earning more than $70,647. Compensation is derived from fewer than 20 profiles, including base salary, equity and bonus." Source is www.paysa.com.

I think the $62,000 average is very low for a B1G Mens Hoops ref. Your only source is some generic on-line career site? Nope, not buying this at all.

the guy did not touch him. he was arguing a call with the ref. he was pretty loud about it but so was the rest of the RAC.. and being so close to the refs that ref probably had enough.... I think the refs were taking a lot of heat from our fans because they made so many ticky tac calls or "wrong" calls in RU fan's eyes. I don't know what he said exactly to make the ref snap though. we were a couple rows behind.

If he didn't he was pretty darn close. The official had to move to get out of the way and the fan was standing. If he didn't touch him he was no more than 6 inches away standing next to him.

There is no salary for officials except in the pros. You get paid per game. Around 3000 per D1 big conference game and 1500 for the other D1 conferences. ACC pays the most, than PAC 10, B1G, and B12. Some guys work more than others, that based on the assignor. Most officials works several conferences, due to assignors have different conferences. Teddy Valentine used to work in all conferences because Ed Rush trusted him until his blowout s couple years ago.

If he didn't he was pretty darn close. The official had to move to get out of the way and the fan was standing. If he didn't touch him he was no more than 6 inches away standing next to him.

yeah the ref stopped to give it back to the guy and that's when he called over to the vest and the fan backed down. no harm no foul if you ask me... like i said before, a lot of our fans scream obscenities at the refs... some are just close enough to be heard.

so if you average $2500 a game and work 2 games a week that is 5k a week

consider you work from mid November to mid March (4 months) that is about 65-80k for 8 weeks of work. maybe some squeeze in a 3rd game a week or work extra games with tourneys / NCAAs

I am not immune from yelling at refs, but these guys are human and actually do a pretty good job given how hard it is.

One thing to boo in unison with the crowd. It is another thing to one on one yell at an official in a personal way.

Reactions: red sail
Refs also get paid to do scrimmages so it is a nice part time job. Most love the sport that they ref and like seeing the players and being part of the action. The downside is the abuse from home fans.

I am not immune from yelling at refs, but these guys are human and actually do a pretty good job given how hard it is.

One thing to boo in unison with the crowd. It is another thing to one on one yell at an official in a personal way.

yeah it was definitely a little over the top in terms of 'booing" ... i dont know what he said but the ref didnt like it.

my kids play several travel sports and one of the coaches sat down all the parents after a game where parents were screaming at a ref. he said that yelling at a ref a lot of times - the calls start influencing that ref's decisions against the home team ... it doesnt help. he said cheer your kids in a positive way and not to yell at the refs so they don't make vindicitive calls against the home team. i always thought refs were supposed to be impartial... but if you are getting yelled at by both sides eventually you gotta choose one side to make the call against. and yes refs are human. they make mistakes too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Gene Steratore used to work NCAA Basketball and NFL Games.

I know this because a friend who used to work for Rutgers would defend him as the "greatest guy in the whole wide world if you ever talk to him" when I'd curse his very existence after denying Dez Bryant the OBVIOUS catch in the playoffs against Green Bay.

FWIW (not much here in Giants fan Gooberville) he still defends that piss poor call even though he's been proven wrong and reversed by the league.

There is no salary for officials except in the pros. You get paid per game. Around 3000 per D1 big conference game and 1500 for the other D1 conferences. ACC pays the most, than PAC 10, B1G, and B12. Some guys work more than others, that based on the assignor. Most officials works several conferences, due to assignors have different conferences. Teddy Valentine used to work in all conferences because Ed Rush trusted him until his blowout s couple years ago.

Yeah, that’s what I thought. A ref can easily do 3 games per week for $9,000/week x 19 weeks or so and he is making around $170,000. I think some refs are doing 4 games in some weeks.

My one criticism of the student section is when they chant "Ref, you suck" at the refs. I think it's completely immature and we should be above it.

I don't know when this became an accepted part of fandom but I wish it would stop. I realize it won't ever stop while I'm typing this and is unfortunately just accepted behavior.

Reactions: red sail
My one criticism of the student section is when they chant "Ref, you suck" at the refs. I think it's completely immature and we should be above it.

I don't know when this became an accepted part of fandom but I wish it would stop. I realize it won't ever stop while I'm typing this and is unfortunately just accepted behavior.
One thing we did in the ‘80s was help them count to five. :Devil

Reactions: Scarlet83
Most refs work a lot more than two games per week, my friend .
Not really. Plus each conference also pays different. Good friend is well known ref in area and has done RU games. Each ref has contract with a conference

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT