ADVERTISEMENT

Wouldn't it be great if we went on a hot streak to finish out the season 7-5?

2aeFbra.jpg

As much as I hate to admit this, the best of the remaining teams is penn state and I don't think we have much of a chance in that one. I'm confident in two more wins though, and all things considered, that's not so bad.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Yes, Penn State is the toughest game left on the schedule, but this same Minnesota team had them beat in Happy Valley late in the 4th quarter. Penn State ended up winning it 29-26. We have the Lions at home. Just saying.

Yes, Penn State is the toughest game left on the schedule, but this same Minnesota team had them beat in Happy Valley late in the 4th quarter. Penn State ended up winning it 29-26. We have the Lions at home. Just saying.
This same Ohio State team Penn state actually beat not just came close to beating beat Rutgers 58-0 l. Just saying.

Reactions: Howie'81
Football doesn't work that way. Each game is different. Weather, injuries, momentum , good or bad coaching on game day are different for each game.

Reactions: jorand and Howie'81
Of course, I want us to win every remaining game, but at this point, I'd be happy with 2 more wins, especially as we'll be underdogs in every game.

Our home game against PS will actually feel like their home game. We go 1-3 down the stretch, but if we are competitive each week on out, I'll take it.

This same Ohio State team Penn state actually beat not just came close to beating beat Rutgers 58-0 l. Just saying.

The transitive property doesn't apply in sports. Just saying.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Many if not most predicted 3 or 4 wins on the season. If we can match that, so be it. If we can beat it, then I'd be really happy. 5 wins with our APR should be enough to go to a bowl game, which would be huge for our players and for next season with the extra practices. Say what you want about 5-win teams in bowls (which I hate), but hey if it's gonna happen might as well take advantage of it for ourselves. The team I saw play Saturday can do it.

Reactions: redking
The transitive property doesn't apply in sports. Just saying.

No, the transitive property doesn't work in sports. Just trying to show some type of parallel. Each team progresses or digresses during the course of the year and when factoring in weather and more injuries, sure change the complexion of the game. Penn State is getting a bit better. I' would say with Gio, we are getting a bit better. Now if we ever beat Penn State does that mean we could beat Ohio State. No, we have already proven we can't. But by this same argument that doesn't mean we can't beat Penn State.

Last edited:
Penn State was playing walk on linebackers in that game. The starters came back on Saturday night. They made a big difference.

Penn State was playing walk on linebackers in that game. The starters came back on Saturday night. They made a big difference.
Yep. Cabinda and Bell combined for 31 tackles and neither played in the Minny game. Brandon Bell was named Big Ten defensive player of the week in fact.

To be fair, PSU played only one walk-on linebacker in that game. But your general point is valid, as is illustrated by the snap counts from Minnesota compared with OSU:

Minnesota
Cam Brown: 81 (true freshman)
Manny Bowen: 73
Brandon Smith: 65 (walk-on)
Jake Cooper: 23
Koa Farmer: 18

Ohio State
Brandon Bell: 69
Jason Cabinda: 64
Manny Bowen: 63
Brandon Smith: 17
Koa Farmer: 12

Penn State released the depth chart for their first Big Ten home game of the season against Minnesota.
Will Linebacker
31 Cam Brown (6-5, 215, Fr./Fr.)
43 Manny Bowen (6-1, 220, So./So.)
33 Jake Cooper (6-1, 230, So./So.)

Middle Linebacker
47 Brandon Smith (6-0, 220, Sr./Jr.)

Sam Linebacker
7 Koa Farmer (6-1, 222, Jr./So.)
25 Von Walker (5-11, 213, Sr./Sr.)
http://victorybellrings.com/2016/09/27/analyzing-the-penn-state-depth-chart-for-the-minnesota-game/

Penn State Depth Chart for the Ohio State Game
Will Linebacker
20 Johnathan Thomas (5-11, 220, Jr./So.)

Middle Linebacker

Sam Linebacker
http://victorybellrings.com/2016/10/18/analyzing-the-penn-state-depth-chart-for-the-ohio-state-game/

If there's one thing you should know about PSU depth charts it's this: They are meaningless. Brown didn't see the field defensively versus OSU, and Bell and Cabinda obviously returned from injury despite not being listed. See my previous post with actual snap counts comparing the two games.

Penn State released the depth chart for their first Big Ten home game of the season against Minnesota.
Will Linebacker

Middle Linebacker

Sam Linebacker
http://victorybellrings.com/2016/09/27/analyzing-the-penn-state-depth-chart-for-the-minnesota-game/

Penn State Depth Chart for the Ohio State Game
Will Linebacker
20 Johnathan Thomas (5-11, 220, Jr./So.)

Middle Linebacker

Sam Linebacker
http://victorybellrings.com/2016/10/18/analyzing-the-penn-state-depth-chart-for-the-ohio-state-game/
Uh, do you see Brandon Bell or Jason Cabinda on that chart for the OSU game? I hate to break it to you, but both those guys started, so you can ditch your prop. And as I said above, Bell was BIG defensive player of the week.

Sure, missing starters is going to hurt any team with lack of depth and change the complexion of that game. We were missing our leading rusher in Martin for the Minnesota game and starting a first time quarterback and no grant for weeks. We needed to replace our injured players also. We still played them toe to toe on the road.

To be fair, PSU played only one walk-on linebacker in that game. But your general point is valid, as is illustrated by the snap counts from Minnesota compared with OSU:

Minnesota
Cam Brown: 81 (true freshman)
Manny Bowen: 73
Brandon Smith: 65 (walk-on)
Jake Cooper: 23
Koa Farmer: 18

Ohio State
Brandon Bell: 69
Jason Cabinda: 64
Manny Bowen: 63
Brandon Smith: 17
Koa Farmer: 12

I deleted my post because I did a quick check finding out Bell and Cabinda did start the OSU GAME but weren't on the depth charts I found and posted
So that made what I had implied wrong and needed to be corrected

I thank you for the respectful way you replied , even though we go at it at times.[cheers]

Reactions: Cheesesteak Vegas
Uh, do you see Brandon Bell or Jason Cabinda on that chart for the OSU game? I hate to break it to you, but both those guys started, so you can ditch your prop. And as I said above, Bell was BIG defensive player of the week.
Since they weren't on the charts I posted, so didn't see them listed.
But did you bother to click the link I supplied to show where my info was from or just decide to do your usual whine about anything you don't like posted about PSU without
knowing where the information was coming from..

This thread begs the question: who would win in a fight, a monkey or a dog?

This Rutgers team has talent, we just need a little momentum. Our spirited play in the Minnesota game gave us hope, now it's up to the coaches to not only prepare the kids but make them believe we can win. Can we beat Indiana? Yes we can because our offense knows we can move the ball. The question is, can our defense stop or at least slow down their offense? I think beating a Michigan State led Mark Dantonio TEAM even in a down year like this one is a long shot. The PSU game is the most threatening to our program. A victory here would be to keep the game inside of 3 TD's and make the argument that in a transition year we played them tough. One last thing about the PSU vs. Rutgers game "DON'T SELL YOUR TICKETS AND GO TO THE GAME!! STUDENTS GO TO THE GAME AND STAY!!". Make the Maryland game our bowl game. The winner of this game will have momentum going into next game. JMHO

ADVERTISEMENT