ADVERTISEMENT

Wow......Boom! Dean Peterson flips from Princeton to RU!!!

FlashyEachAngora-max-1mb.gif

Haha now I'll root for the kid. Huge pick up though. He'll fit in and will be a solid pickup.

Awesome pickup at a weight class of need. Staff did a great job here, however it happened.

Last edited:
Losing Suriano could be blessing in disguise. Not saying by any means he isn’t great and wasn’t great at RU but maybe freed up $$ to be able to get a commit like this so late?? Also maybe Aguilar saw this coming thus the transfer. Who knows. Just projecting some thoughts.

Peterson was the best high school wrestler in NJ since the first day of his sophomore year. He’s also a beast in freestyle on the national level. Similar transfer timing to when Alvarez decommitted from NC State. This is a future multi-time AA with national champ potential we just landed. Absolutely stoked about this unexpected news.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Losing Suriano could be blessing in disguise. Not saying by any means he isn’t great and wasn’t great at RU but maybe freed up $$ to be able to get a commit like this so late?? Also maybe Aguilar saw this coming thus the transfer. Who knows. Just projecting some thoughts.
Agreed with all points but Aguilar couldn’t beat out Shawver and allegedly had academic issues. Don’t think the two are necessarily related but it’s possible

Great news. I wonder why the change. I wouldn't assume he will be immediately better than Shawver; I like what I've seen from him. Rutgers is solid from 125 through 141. There is some question until 174 but good from that point and up. I see that the depth chart has already been updated, thank you. The official team roster is outdated but It sure would be helpful if it at least had accurate weight class projections. Can't be that hard to keep current!

Reactions: plcoolg
Rutgers is solid from 125 through 141. There is some question until 174 but good from that point and up. I
You don’t like Kannaird? Obviously 165 is an enigma but I’ve been high on Kannaird ever since his redshirt open tourney year. He’s a scorer and not defensive. Those guys usually have a high upside.

Welcome to one of the Top 50 universities in the world and New Jersey’s Team !!!—-Congrats Coach Goodale !

Last edited:
Welcome to one of the Top 50 universities in the world and New Jersey’s Team !!!

You don’t like Kannaird? Obviously 165 is an enigma but I’ve been high on Kannaird ever since his redshirt open tourney year. He’s a scorer and not defensive. Those guys usually have a high upside.
Agree, think Rob Kannaird will be very solid. And Shawver had a solid year, but Dean Peterson was a much higher recruit than him. Will he turn out better? Time will tell, but coming into college he is the bigger recruit

Reactions: elvis7
Guys, help me out here. For a football comparison, is this like a Bellamy/Gould level recruit? Thanks

It's not of matter of liking or not. I have no problem with Kanniard but he is not yet a strong wrestler like I think we have at those other weights. And at 149, despite moments of brilliance from MVB last year, he has not yet been consistent or more than a .500 wrestler in all the years (now in 6th year?). I'd like to see Aragona reappear from the shadows and live up to his potential, possibly at 149.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
The Ivy League essentially cancelled all sports in 20-21. I wonder how much concern about the same thing happening in 21-22 played in this decision.

Reactions: Knight177lb
It's not of matter of liking or not. I have no problem with Kanniard but he is not yet a strong wrestler like I think we have at those other weights. And at 149, despite moments of brilliance from MVB last year, he has not yet been consistent or more than a .500 wrestler in all the years (now in 6th year?). I'd like to see Aragona reappear from the shadows and live up to his potential, possibly at 149.
If Aragona has been living in the weight room and actually has learned how to get an escape from on bottom, he might be in the mix at 149. He was so overpowered every time he was on bottom as a freshman that I wonder where his head is right now after a RS year. Ideally you'd want someone to take 149 by the horns over an inconsistent MVB.

If Aragona has been living in the weight room and actually has learned how to get an escape from on bottom, he might be in the mix at 149. He was so overpowered every time he was on bottom as a freshman that I wonder where his head is right now after a RS year. Ideally you'd want someone to take 149 by the horns over an inconsistent MVB.

Agree it would be great to see Jojo reach his potential.

Reactions: bigmatt718
I think it’s more ideal that MVB stays at 149 for the year shakes the stigma of losing to kids he’s clearly better than. He beat kids that appear better than him and hung with elites as well as anyone in the country. Just gotta cut the dumb losses.

Guys, help me out here. For a football comparison, is this like a Bellamy/Gould level recruit? Thanks
Better than that. Honestly this is like a Huggins/Hamilton/Davis type of high end recruit. Obviously all 3 of those guys panned out differently than the others but Peterson is the top in state recruit and one of the elites in the country.

I think it’s more ideal that MVB stays at 149 for the year shakes the stigma of losing to kids he’s clearly better than. He beat kids that appear better than him and hung with elites as well as anyone in the country. Just gotta cut the dumb losses.
Cutting the dumb losses are the key. He's a 6th year senior and Goody hasn't or won't hesitate to bench him for one of the young guys if he keeps underachieving/losing to scrubs like Grello last year.

So now at 125 we have Shawver who improved a ton last year, Raimo who hasn’t wrestled much (didn’t crack the lineup at asu) and Peterson who I think took last year off with an injury. Who takes 125 and can any (Raimo prob) beat Alvarez at 33

Who knows? What has anyone heard about him? He seemed to be cloaked in secrecy this past year, then an occasional mention of illness and injury. I have seen virtually nothing about his status or progression and I don't think there is any more information behind the $10 a month paywall. I've had big hope for him and even after his weak first year, I thought he would be a good test of the Rutgers wrestler-development potential. There are two ways of asking this question; is he developing, or, is he being developed?

So now at 125 we have Shawver who improved a ton last year, Raimo who hasn’t wrestled much (didn’t crack the lineup at asu) and Peterson who I think took last year off with an injury. Who takes 125 and can any (Raimo prob) beat Alvarez at 33
Is there any reason to expect Alvarez to have less of a weight issue this year? Has Seabass decided on which weight he'll compete? 133 and 141 will be unclear until we learn where these guys are going to wrestle. At 125, Shawver has had a year of experience and looked to have advanced last year. I think Peterson will be challenged but if he beats Shawver, that is a very good sign. That year off could have had an impact; he lost early in a recent freestyle tournament and I do not know how he did in the wrestleback.

ADVERTISEMENT