ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling - 2015 National Collegiate Open (NCO)

obrats

Senior
Mar 28, 2013
The NCO is this coming weekend, Sunday March 1 in Virginia. Looks like Rutgers has 14 registered to wrestle, here are our registered wrestlers. I didn't count all the teams entries but we do appear to have one of the most registered wrestlers (just eyeballing it).

125 - Josh Patrick
133 - Anthony Giraldo
133 - Nick Ottaviano
141 - Jalen Ramos
149 - Michael Underwood
149 - Tyson Dippery
157 - Dylan Painton
157 - John Van Brill
165 - Michael Simmons
184 - Anthony Messner
184 - Taylor Jackson
197 - Ralph Normandia
285 - Nick LaShell
285 - Wesley Bernard

This is one of the bigger end of year tournament for back-ups and redshirts. Anthony Ashnault and Scott Delvecchio took home the titles last year for Rutgers.

NCO Website

Originally posted by Ole Cabbagehead:

Hopefully at 97. It would be great to see him get out there.
Although it would be best for the team, I think that ship (197) has sailed.

My bet is 285. It will be interesting to see how he does there against the big boys. At least he has been getting his feet wet with Smitty in the room.

Which begs the question: how does camp currently do in the room against Smith?

Is taylor jackson someone RU should be excited about? He was a top 100 recruit I believe. Or is he a depth guy.

Camp is officially registered at 285.

Lips, I was exciting when we got Taylor, kid was a 3 time state champ (Florida) and his record was 218-10. I know he is still young but I haven't seen a whole lot to keep me excited that he is going to make an impact.

i'm excited to see how our guys do at NCO.

where is hunt? is he hurt?

we are loaded in 141 and 149. will theobold redshirt next season? and bulk up to 157 and take over perrotti's spot after he graduates?

Hunt blew his knee in one of the tourneys a moth or so ago and had surgery. Jackson has not been able to beat Backukas or Parfumi so that is where he stands.

Bill, whats the realistic chance giraldo staying at 133. He seems to big already for the weight. Because RU needs to find him a spot next year.

In an ideal world, most grow into the next weight class next year, so Giraldo 141, Ashnault 149, Dippery 157, Perrotti 165 (DelVecchio stay at 133) but I think that's unlikely.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Leonard23:
In an ideal world, most grow into the next weight class next year, so Giraldo 141, Ashnault 149, Dippery 157, Perrotti 165 (DelVecchio stay at 133) but I think that's unlikely.

Won't Delvecchio redshirt next year and Giraldo take his spot? $$$$

This post was edited on 2/25 12:32 PM by dollarbill

More on Camp from today's NJcom:

http://www.nj.com/rutgers/index.ssf/2015/02/rutgers_wrestler_andrew_campolattano_will_not_compete_at_big_ten_championships.html#incart_river

I honestly don't think Camp wants to wrestle competitively in Div I any longer.

I.E. he doesn't want to live the life style required to be a full-time DIV I wrestler. Nothing wrong with that, as it's a grueling way to spend your college years. God bless those who can.

Seems to be doing it because it's what others expect of him.

JMO.

Originally posted by belushijo:
I honestly don't think Camp wants to wrestle competitively in Div I any longer.

I.E. he doesn't want to live the life style required to be a full-time DIV I wrestler. Nothing wrong with that, as it's a grueling way to spend your college years. God bless those who can.

Seems to be doing it because it's what others expect of him.

JMO.
i've been a harsh critic of camp, and i'm done dissing camp. i'm interested in seeing how well he does at nco. it'll tell us a lot about camp's future in wrestling.

I didn't intend to 'dis' Camp with my post, for clarification. Although I can see how it would come across that way due to the bluntness of it.

Being a DI wrestler isn't an easy thing to do. I don't fault him in anyway if he decides to hang it up and focus on getting his degree.

Belush

I did not think you were dissing him by your statement. Camp is a 23 year old man and as you get older you tend to bulk up a bit. Blowing the ACL really hurt him in getting ready for the season for a January start. Making 197 seems to drain him physically and emotionally. If he can wrestle at 220-25, he won't be starving and could be a significant force. We could have a Lawson?D kind of situation last year like PSU had this year. Not a bad thing to have. Both could wrestle like every other match or space them out and the winner would be fairly fresh for the Big Tens and NCAAs.

Originally posted by wngarbarini:
Belush

I did not think you were dissing him by your statement. Camp is a 23 year old man and as you get older you tend to bulk up a bit. Blowing the ACL really hurt him in getting ready for the season for a January start. Making 197 seems to drain him physically and emotionally. If he can wrestle at 220-25, he won't be starving and could be a significant force. We could have a Lawson?D kind of situation last year like PSU had this year. Not a bad thing to have. Both could wrestle like every other match or space them out and the winner would be fairly fresh for the Big Tens and NCAAs.
Definitely a strong possibility of something like this happening. If Camp earns his spot by performing better than Smith, more power to him. At the very least, the competition will help them both.

If the articles about his weight issues were accurate, I could see Camp bulking up to around the 240ish range (but you would know better than I if that is possible). IIRC one of the articles mentioned that he had gotten up around 230 at one point.

If he can get to 240, that would make him a decently sized hvy. I'm sure he'd still be giving up some size on a consistent basis, but Dave Zabriskie (NJ native) was a somewhat smaller heavyweight the year he won NCAAs. I would think Camp would have a significant speed advantage over most of his opponents at heavyweight, too. Probably evens out in the end.

Originally posted by belushijo:
I didn't intend to 'dis' Camp with my post, for clarification. Although I can see how it would come across that way due to the bluntness of it.

Being a DI wrestler isn't an easy thing to do. I don't fault him in anyway if he decides to hang it up and focus on getting his degree.
No, you were not dissing Camp. I was dissing him in the past, and I just wrote that I plan on stopping. He's not quit the team, which I thought he'd do, and apparently he's working out with Smith and entering NCO...all good signs. Hope he does well.

I have a lot of respect for Campolattano. Look at what the obstacles were for him this year. If his normal fit body weight is say 235 pounds, he was cutting 38 pounds! That doesn't even strike me as healthy for a non-athlete, let alone trying to wrestle competitively after going through that process. And on top of that he had torn his ACL ligament only seven months before the season began. And on top of that, he hadn't wrestled at the college level for a year and a half coming in to the Spring semester. And on top of that, he was wrestling at his home state school after a legendary high school career, so the fan expectations were enormous.

I think Camp was around 220 + so he was cutting a fair amount of weight. Could he bulk up to 240? I doubt it and I would not want him to do that. A lot of heavyweights like Zabriskie and others were AAs at 2200-230.

Ya know, if Camp sticks with wrestling, has his personal life in order & is on track academically, then this was a success & I don't give a crap what weight he wrestles. Not many make good on a second chance.

The bottome line is, all of us here want the best for our RU wrestlers. Because we have high expectations of them, we get upset when they don't perform well (and write so on boards like this one). However, if a fan from a different university talks smack, we cannot tolerate that. Just like, you can yell at your own kids (it's part of tough love), but if someone else yells at them, that's crossing the line big time.

I know wrestlers and their parents/relatives read this board. Just want to make sure that we are clear about where we are coming from. There's nothing more we want than them to succeed in wrestling and in classroom. And our kids are good kids, and they truly appear as a one big family when I see them during matches. Kudos to the coaches for getting good kids to RU.

It appears Camp got pinned by the George Mason Heavy in the championship round. I may be reading that site wrong though
Originally posted by mandfense:
No Camp again?

This post was edited on 3/1 9:25 AM by Abro1975

looks like wrestling hasnt started yet but they have updated the brackets on track.

after a quick perusal it appears Ramos, Simmons and Camp aren't competing for whatever reason and their opponents receive a bye. saw quite a few FF though so looks like your typical open with more guy registering than wrestling. also saw at least one double forfeit so someone is going to win a match and then skip a round.

still a ton of wrestling to be done though. Excited to see how Giraldo and Dippery finish, along with the rest of the team.

Big fan of camp but fed up with all the hype everytime he is going to compete and drops out. Cant be a weight problem today.

How does RUWrestling post an hour ago good luck to our 15 wrestlers today at NCO and then 3 guys don't show up for weigh ins?

ADVERTISEMENT