ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Championship Brackets

now the fun really starts!

the permutations are endless but here are some potential roads to the podium:

DelVecchio - beats 7 Guilbon and 10 Beckman, L to 2 Taylor, then W vs either 13 Brewer or 12 DiCam. or a loss to Guilbon and wins over 9 Devoy and 6 Hall (among others). This weight is stacked (Beckman was 6th last year) and odds are slim.

7 Ashnault - predicted to go through - Longo, 10 Horan, Lose to 2 Port, then beat 12 Ward or 13 Cruz, then lose to 3 Mayes, then beat 8 Martinez for 7th. Ash has a win over 5 Dziewa and 8 Martinez among others but also a loss to unseeded Rodrigues and 2 loses to 9 Abidin. tho not a lock, 7/8 looks doable, would be huge for a freshman.

Theobold - I know nothing of 10 Pagdilao, as is the case with most western guys. i think a win over him and 7 Mastriani are not impossible though. A loss to Tsirtsis would then mean a win over 12 Beitz or 13 Cobb for a medal. 4 upsets, slim odds but better than zero. i doubt the weight class will play to seed, last year's 2nd Kindig is unseeded and drew 3 Habat first round.

13 Perrotti - must upset 4 Green (ouch) and 5 Pack in champy rounds or 12 Minotti and 7 Miller in the consis to climb back on the medal stand. Super tough, but Perrotti has wins over 2 Realbuto (last year) 6 Demas among other quality wins so it's definitely possible, and his odds are better than they were last year. R12 is more likely than AA tho.

Bakuckas - no at large bid. bummer. next year is his year. he is close.

Smith - upset over returning champ 1 Gwizdowski? probably not. so, then wins over 15 Larson, 10 Walz, 8 Lawson. Smitty's got his work cut out for him. already a 3 time NQ tho, so he's been here before.

thats just at first glance. im sure i'm overlooking some unseeded but super tough bracket busting lurkers.

realistically 1 AA at this tournament would be fantastic.

a little over a week from first whistle. can't wait!

I can't wait to see if Ash steps up his intensity even more now that it's tourny time. I hope he wrestles a bit more aggresive, although this tourny tends to be more defensive. AP has a rough road but he is capable of exceeding expectations just like last year. We won't have to worry about him (AP) being aggressive. Hope Theo is healthy, the Big10 tourny was a bit of a downer for him, now it's his chance for redemption. Anything from Smith or Del Vecchio is gravy.Del Vech is capable of a first round win with his matchup, Smith getting the number 1 seed Gwad is crazy, lol. Does the whole coaching staff travel out to this?

I'll be watching a lot on my work IPAD on ESPN3 w the sound off, lol. The WatchESPN App is great. Replays stay up for about a month.

They all have very tough roads. Even Ash will have to swing 3 top 10 guys ib a row. Going to be very tough. But i have faith in them

ADVERTISEMENT