ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling commit?

I know I'm not on the kool-aid, but I don't see where he possibly fits in on the Rutgers roster. On a realistic level, is there any chance he will wrestle a match? A 113 pound high school senior could possibly have a hard time getting to 125. I watched McHenry yesterday in person and have the same question about him - and McHenry has a much stronger resume than does Aguilar.

I think back to Bob Weaver, who had a very successful international career, but did not do nearly as well at the collegiate level because he was so small. And then you have the question of other wrestlers already at 125 on the Rutgers roster. Finally, to have an impact, you have to assume that he is grossly under-ranked by all wrestling ranking services (not in the Flo top 100 and at 90 on Intermat). Don't know if it qualifies as a "BOOM". On other hand, depth at the first weight class never hurts.

I know I'm not on the kool-aid, but I don't see where he possibly fits in on the Rutgers roster. On a realistic level, is there any chance he will wrestle a match? A 113 pound high school senior could possibly have a hard time getting to 125. I watched McHenry yesterday in person and have the same question about him - and McHenry has a much stronger resume than does Aguilar.

I think back to Bob Weaver, who had a very successful international career, but did not do nearly as well at the collegiate level because he was so small. And then you have the question of other wrestlers already at 125 on the Rutgers roster. Finally, to have an impact, you have to assume that he is grossly under-ranked by all wrestling ranking services (not in the Flo top 100 and at 90 on Intermat). Don't know if it qualifies as a "BOOM". On other hand, depth at the first weight class never hurts.
He is ranked #9 at 120 by Flo so 125 is not much of a weight jump. I assume he will red-shirt his first year and then back up Suriano when Nick is a senior. Hopefully, when he is a red-shirt soph, he will be able to battle for the 125 spot.

He is ranked #9 at 120 by Flo so 125 is not much of a weight jump. I assume he will red-shirt his first year and then back up Suriano when Nick is a senior. Hopefully, when he is a red-shirt soph, he will be able to battle for the 125 spot.

That's probably realistic. I kind of wonder what he really weighs, though.

To Parrot this.

Redshirt his Frosh Year. (Suriano's Jr)

His RS Frosh Year maybe Suriano goes up to 133 and he wrestles there his senior season, or he comes for 3 full year and wrestles with one of the best there ever was for 2 years before doing his own thing.

This is a little bit of that Suriano effect people are talking about.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
That's the first Bobby Weaver (Easton, Pa) reference I've heard in a long time, lol

A P'burg - Easton wrestling match is one of the best sporting events I've been to at any level, and I've been to plenty.

Last edited:
Nick A weighs 130 now and will wrestle at 120 this year. 2nd twice in CA and multiple Yesr Fargo champ so I think he is a legit recruit. Nice kid. Met him and the folks on his official. Happy to have him and develop him when he gets here. To me it’s a BOOM.

Nick A weighs 130 now and will wrestle at 120 this year. 2nd twice in CA and multiple Yesr Fargo champ so I think he is a legit recruit. Nice kid. Met him and the folks on his official. Happy to have him and develop him when he gets here. To me it’s a BOOM.
Nice out of state pickup. I feel like Goody BOOMS every recruit we get though lol..

Reactions: obrats

Shoot, if that kind of growth continues, he may be a 141 in three years.

To Parrot this.

Redshirt his Frosh Year. (Suriano's Jr)

His RS Frosh Year maybe Suriano goes up to 133 and he wrestles there his senior season, or he comes for 3 full year and wrestles with one of the best there ever was for 2 years before doing his own thing.

This is a little bit of that Suriano effect people are talking about.
Maybe the Ohio wrestler has some input on all of this. Stay tuned. $$$$

Reactions: IsItLuck
Maybe the Ohio wrestler has some input on all of this. Stay tuned. $$$$
Everyone is always quick to insert freshman into future lineups.

Then, if they aren't a started on day 1, they are immediately relegated behind any incoming commits.

I agree dollarbill, give the kid (Mackall) a chance to develop!

Wonder if we have any scholarship money left for 2018 or if it's full steam ahead for 2019. I'm very happy with this recruiting class.

Everyone is always quick to insert freshman into future lineups.

Then, if they aren't a started on day 1, they are immediately relegated behind any incoming commits.

I agree dollarbill, give the kid (Mackall) a chance to develop!

I don't know, Clearscreen lays out a realistic scenario which doesn't relegate Mackall. On the other hand, Iowa went through this recently with having a lot of 125s committed and losing a bunch of them before they even got to the program.

That's the first Bobby Weaver (Easton, Pa) reference I've heard in a long time, lol

A P'burg - Easton wrestling match is one of the best sporting events I've been to at any level, and I've been to plenty.

My brother wrestled him; I guess around 40 years ago. I believe it was the 101 weight class. We used to wrestle both Easton and P’burg; and we would wrestle in the Easton holiday tournament; it was brutal. The highest I placed was 3rd, and was very happy about it.

RU held a meeting of SKWC tonight and the 4 SKWC Resident coaches, Montel Marion, John DiJulius, Taylor Walsh and Harry Turner all were introduced and spoke for awhile. Very interesting. Coach Goodale spoke about the program, where we are and where we have to go. Brian Paich, SKWC spoke about the organization and what we have to do to raise money to support SKWC and close a deficit of $87,000 to fund all that we want. The other major Big Ten programs spend over $400,000 a year and we are only around $200,000 so we have a ways to go. Joining SKWC even at the $25 level helps as does the pin pool or outright donation. Coach spoke about the team and how there will be wrestle offs on October 29 closed to public. Matt Correnti is going 285 now for some info for you. Scott D and Mike VB have improved a lot over the summer as has Mr Gross.

RU held a meeting of SKWC tonight and the 4 SKWC Resident coaches, Montel Marion, John DiJulius, Taylor Walsh and Harry Turner all were introduced and spoke for awhile. Very interesting. Coach Goodale spoke about the program, where we are and where we have to go. Brian Paich, SKWC spoke about the organization and what we have to do to raise money to support SKWC and close a deficit of $87,000 to fund all that we want. The other major Big Ten programs spend over $400,000 a year and we are only around $200,000 so we have a ways to go. Joining SKWC even at the $25 level helps as does the pin pool or outright donation. Coach spoke about the team and how there will be wrestle offs on October 29 closed to public. Matt Correnti is going 285 now for some info for you. Scott D and Mike VB have improved a lot over the summer as has Mr Gross.
Getting more and more excited for the season...

Bill can you clarify one thing about Correnti? Is he going 285 and wrestling off Gross for the starting spot this season? Or is he using this year as a redshirt while bulking up for the next three years?

Reactions: IsItLuck
Bill can you clarify one thing about Correnti? Is he going 285 and wrestling off Gross for the starting spot this season? Or is he using this year as a redshirt while bulking up for the next three years?

Good to hear, one look at Correnti's older brother who wrestled 285 at Rider, knew this decision would be made at some point. Guess it's sooner, rather than later.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Also, was the Correnti move made recently? Or did he start to bulk up at the end of March?

I'm hoping RS for Correnti. Gross can and will hold the fort down at Heavy as he was only 1 win from making the tourney last year. Correnti then would have 3 years to be the starter at Heavy.

Move was made recently. Correnti never wanted to go 285 because he never wanted to wrestle his brother. But now he says if he has to he has to do it and resigned to that. He will probably red shirt.

Reactions: PSUPOWER
Move was made recently. Correnti never wanted to go 285 because he never wanted to wrestle his brother. But now he says if he has to he has to do it and resigned to that. He will probably red shirt.

He won't have to wrestle his brother in college. He cannot beat out Gross this year, and that's b/c Gross will be stronger and more focused this year (last year he was again distracted with football), which means he'll redshirt. His brother Mauro is redshirt senior at Rider.

He won't have to wrestle his brother in college. He cannot beat out Gross this year, and that's b/c Gross will be stronger and more focused this year (last year he was again distracted with football), which means he'll redshirt. His brother Mauro is redshirt senior at Rider.

I'm sure that it is very difficult for Matt to keep making weight at 197. He would be ideal for a 220lb weight class if there was one in college.

Matt would be better at 285 weighing over 220 than he would weighing under 220 so he'll need a year to bulk up. I could see Matt reach a good 240 by his 5th year.

ADVERTISEMENT