ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Post Match Press Conference - Northwestern

Bottom line... We got beat by a better team... Coach may take the blame for "not preparing" better... But thats BS... We had the opportunity to win at least 5-6 matches at the end.... At the end of the day... The coaching doesn't get you the win... Good coaching puts you in the opportunity to win the match... The guys didnt get it done... What does that mean?? Some of the blame goes to R guys... But at the same time... Credit goes to their guys for getting the W.... Just as "the credit goes to the man in the arena". So does the blame....

165 and 174 were terrible loses based on how they started which would have made it a much more tolerable result
If you add in 125, this could have been an exciting match. I am a little concerned about Coach's press conference. He sounded a little bit like a defeated guy himself, I'm afraid...I sure hope not. He has had a lot of success here and it has NOT always gone as scripted. He came here, I think, with a HS All-American in tow and that did not go as well as expected. Believe the kid was hurt a lot and he never had the success that was anticipated. But Goodale persevered. I hope he rights the ship again. GO RU

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
165 and 174 were terrible loses based on how they started which would have made it a much more tolerable result
Soldano should go 174, even if he cut weight he's just average D1 size for 174. If he cut weight like Ryan Deakin did he can even go 165. Maybe he had a deal with Goodale when he committed, he gets to choose which weight.

• Haha
Reactions: mikemessner
Soldano should go 174, even if he cut weight he's just average D1 size for 174. If he cut weight like Ryan Deakin did he can even go 165. Maybe he had a deal with Goodale when he committed, he gets to choose which weight.
I don't understand why this keeps coming up. Every wrestler chooses their weight. Coaches aren't stupid and forcing someone to go a weight they don't want to go, as it's too easy to transfer and hurt future recruiting. If a kid tells the coach he wants to go a certain weight, he gets the opportunity to compete for that spot. Coaches may try to persuade wrestlers to go a different weight, but if they win the wrestle-offs or other competitions, then they go that weight.

I agree that Soldano would be best suited for 174 and Poz at 184 next year, but not sure if that will happen. He needs to have the desire to go there otherwise he absolutely will not be forced. If not, hopefully Poz can bulk up to 197 as he seems to live in the weight room so it seems possible but we absolutely need both of them in the lineup assuming everyone is healthy. Having Soldano redshirt unless he absolutely needs it (injury) or wants it (development, etc.) will just weaken the potential lineup.

I agree that Soldano would be best suited for 174 and Poz at 184 next year, but not sure if that will happen. He needs to have the desire to go there otherwise he absolutely will not be forced. If not, hopefully Poz can bulk up to 197 as he seems to live in the weight room so it seems possible but we absolutely need both of them in the lineup assuming everyone is healthy. Having Soldano redshirt unless he absolutely needs it (injury) or wants it (development, etc.) will just weaken the potential lineup.
Whatever happens with those two next year better start with planning today.

100% and that's why the coaches get paid the big bucks. They need to maximize the talent on the roster and having arguably 1 of your top 3 wrestlers out of the lineup for 2 straight years isn't going to cut it, especially when they both have a lot of eligibility remaining.

I thought i heard that Shawver is trying for a medical redshirt this year (during the last match), is that true?

I am very pleased to know (if accurate) that Poz is spending time in the weight room. That is something they all need to do with the appropriate balance and with goals in mind.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
I am very pleased to know (if accurate) that Poz is spending time in the weight room. That is something they all need to do with the appropriate balance and with goals in mind.
This is comical and shows your lack of understanding. Everyone on the roster spends considerable time in the weight room. This isn't some local youth wrestling program... 🙄

The commentator said that. I didn't know or remember hearing that he had been injured. But the same situation is there at 125. If we're going to have both talented guys in the line-up, planning needs to start now.
This act is getting old, and continues to show your lack of understanding or that you're just trying to rag on the program. Roster management is discussed and planned all the time, as it factors into recruiting. What makes you think they haven't been discussing plans for the entire roster? Again, this isn't some group of dads with no wrestling experience coaching their kids at the local youth wrestling program... 🙄

This act is getting old, and continues to show your lack of understanding or that you're just trying to rag on the program. Roster management is discussed and planned all the time, as it factors into recruiting. What makes you think they haven't been discussing plans for the entire roster? Again, this isn't some group of dads with no wrestling experience coaching their kids at the local youth wrestling program... 🙄
How do you know they are? Tell us the plan.

You're absolutely correct. Discussions and planning already started.

ADVERTISEMENT