ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Recruits Kanniard and Lightner at Junior Freestyle Nationals

Clearscreen25

All American
Mar 9, 2016
Kanniard wins his first match 11-0 in 1:24 and second match by fall in 23 seconds.

EDIT: Changed title to include Lightner

Last edited:
Lightner got taken down in the last 10 seconds to lose in the round of 64 just now. Looked like the typical dancing bear heavyweight in that match. Stark contrast to how he looked at 195 a couple years ago.

Edit: Lightner won his first wrestle-back match against fellow NJ guy ( Jayvon Davidson) in what was a pretty competitive bout. Could be the case freestyle isn't his best style, but looks to me Lightner would benefit from a red-shirt year. Hopefully he can reel off some Ws on the backside and place.

Last edited:
I watched Lightner's quick pin. He came out very aggressive with a quick takedown and strong turn. Nice to see.

Reactions: PSUPOWER
Kinniard lost in the quarterfinals to a legit kid, Danny Braunagel, University of Illinois commit (will be a freshman this year). The score was 20-10.

Lightner lost 3-0 in the round of 16 consolation bracket to Keaton Kleuver, who is going to UNC.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Already teched him earlier in the tournament.

I must be missing something in the brackets because I don’t think they wrestled yet. They both lost to Braunagel in championship bracket and neither could have lost in consolation bracket in order to wrestle for 3rd.

I must be missing something in the brackets because I don’t think they wrestled yet. They both lost to Braunagel in championship bracket and neither could have lost in consolation bracket in order to wrestle for 3rd.

You are correct. Brain squeeze on my part.

Just watched the match Kanniard lost. He was up 10-6 with 2 min left and just hit a bit of a wall. Other guy was superior in the Par Terre position and had a great motor. Kanniard had the edge on their feet but let himself lose positioning at the end. Good match.

Watched Kanniard vs Brands. Ended on a weird call. Throw out of bounds seemed to be initiated by Kanniard but awarded 4pts plus 1 for lost challenge to Brands. Brands was already up 6-0. Kanniard showed vulnerable head and hands defense in neutral. Bigger issue I think is the difference between graduating senior vs true senior (not staying back a year in middle school either I bet). Kanniard less physically mature than both guys he lost to. It was more evident in previous loss but seemed evident with Brands too. Kanniard’s best wrestling is ahead of him. Excited to watch his development.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT