ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Recruits

Scarlet Knut

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2003
The SL had a report on NJ athletes and what schools they were expected to sign with. I didn't see any NJ signing with Rutgers. Is that accurate?

Absolutely not accurate. There's a thread pinned at the top of this board all about recruiting for wrestling if you're interested.

actually I believe it is accurate, as this a the late signing period that started april 1 and runs to aug 1...all our recruits signed in the earlier signing period....

Lipari signed 4/15:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=462509590568000&substory_index=0&id=278450008973960
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Top *100* c/o 2015 recruit Tyree Sutton (Keansburg, N.J.) signs with Nassau C.C. - projected 197.

This is good for Tyree, he has D1 talent but needs to work on his academics. Hopefully it works out for good for him and maybe we will see him at Rutgers a few years down the road.

Top *100* c/o 2015 recruit Tyree Sutton (Keansburg, N.J.) signs with Nassau C.C. - projected 197.

This is good for Tyree, he has D1 talent but needs to work on his academics. Hopefully it works out for good for him and maybe we will see him at Rutgers a few years down the road.

Sounds like it might be the plan in this article -
http://www.newjerseywrestlingnews.c.../news_article/show/516219?referrer_id=1467220
http://www.newjerseywrestlingnews.c.../news_article/show/516219?referrer_id=1467220

Sutton just wrestled Nat Rose from New York in the Beat The Streets event in Times Square. It's an exhibition but Tyree looked good, controlling the whole match for a 12-2 tech fall with about 1:30 left (Freestyle rules).

I don't know much about Rose. I tried googling. Think he's going to Buffalo but didn't find a whole lot.

Was impressed by Sutton's transitions when finishing his shots. he's worth keeping an eye on for sure.

Wngarbarini, You still around? I read something on the NJcom Wrestling about something at RU wrestling that I thought was garbage, but figured I'd check with you first. I thought I had an email or cell for you, but guess I don't. I'd rather not post this inflammatory stuff here without checking w you first.

Is there a way to send a private message on Rivals like there is on Scout?

Wngarbarini, You still around? I read something on the NJcom Wrestling about something at RU wrestling that I thought was garbage, but figured I'd check with you first. I thought I had an email or cell for you, but guess I don't. I'd rather not post this inflammatory stuff here without checking w you first.

Is there a way to send a private message on Rivals like there is on Scout?
Abro

I am still here. Going to practice early next week so you should have my email address of wngarbarini@verizon.net

Is this about billy smith maybe tranferring? Read some threads on nj.com but I don't put any belief in them.

Yeah, some of that and some other garbage as well. The poster, Cornell1766, thinks he is a big insider in the NJ wrestling community, and posts garbage about the RU program all the time. I usually lost my cool and get into it with and call him out for being a fraud, at least when it concerns RU. Bill emailed me back with the real going's on. I'll let Bill post the info when he feels like it and has time.

Is this about billy smith maybe tranferring? Read some threads on nj.com but I don't put any belief in them.

Yeah, some of that and some other garbage as well. The poster, Cornell1766, thinks he is a big insider in the NJ wrestling community, and posts garbage about the RU program all the time. I usually lost my cool and get into it with and call him out for being a fraud, at least when it concerns RU. Bill emailed me back with the real going's on. I'll let Bill post the info when he feels like it and has time.
Can't leave us hanging like this.

Abro

That stuff about Smith is bogus. I was in that room very often as you all know and Smith was hurt. That crap about Goodale being interviewed at MSG is so stupid because Campy was at 197 then and always going at 197. Campy and Smitty never tried out or had a match together. I had a long talk with Smitty at the banquet and he is going to take his Masters and most likely will teach and coach after graduating. He is enrolled in RU for the Masters so transferring is crazy. This clown likes to rip RU, Goodale and anything about RU wrestling and I do not dignify responding to him. Sorry Abro gets pissed at him and has to let him have it. If Campy wrestles for us it will be at 197 which is where he is going. Things are going well. Happy Memorial Day folks.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Appears Wesley Bernard is going to Indiana University? Got to imagine we are not in the mix for Blake Rypel? I hope our Ohio recruits work out better than our Indiana recruits did.

Last edited:
If Bernard is true, RU is in real big trouble at hwt for the immediate future. Maybe a 5th year transfer next year. But this isn't good if true.

2016 incoming recruit Brandon Paetzall, has a good friend in Heavy Nacho Nothnagle. Heard he had to transfer back to Pa. Due to personal reasons, but the kid could be very good. Might be at Wyoming Sem now, not sure .

2016 incoming recruit Brandon Paetzall, has a good friend in Heavy Nacho Nothnagle. Heard he had to transfer back to Pa. Due to personal reasons, but the kid could be very good. Might be at Wyoming Sem now, not sure .

Love the name, but I think we should aim higher. IIRC, Nothnagel DNP at states this past season. Not saying the kid isn't talented, as I remember he had some good wins, but we're in the Big Ten now. Unless he has a breakout year and wins some big tournaments, probably makes sense to focus on some higher ranked prospects.

You are probably right, he's had a turbulent HS career, being shuffled back and forth due to parental divorce issues, but he showed a lot of promise going against some very good heavys. If he has a big year, his recruiting could explode. I had heard Paetzall was his best friend on the Pburg team.
But Coach G needs someone at Heavy ready to go for the 2016/17 season. I guess a transfer might be in order.

Love the name, but I think we should aim higher. IIRC, Nothnagel DNP at states this past season. Not saying the kid isn't talented, as I remember he had some good wins, but we're in the Big Ten now. Unless he has a breakout year and wins some big tournaments, probably makes sense to focus on some higher ranked prospects.

You are probably right, he's had a turbulent HS career, being shuffled back and forth due to parental divorce issues, but he showed a lot of promise going against some very good heavys. If he has a big year, his recruiting could explode. I had heard Paetzall was his best friend on the Pburg team.
But Coach G needs someone at Heavy ready to go for the 2016/17 season. I guess a transfer might be in order.
No offense to the kid, and if he didn't have the name and go to PBurg 4 1 yr(Liners tend to get overated), but if RU is spending any time recruiting at this level of talent they are in B1G Trouble...
Bernard wasn't the answer after Smith anyway,nice kid but easily replaced.Knights got nothing between Perrotti and Smith and in a yr don't have them

Yeah, I hear what you are saying. What about Brick's Nick Riviera? He came in 3rd at Heavy as Soph, and 2nd was Brody Graham, anything on him? Thanks

No offense to the kid, and if he didn't have the name and go to PBurg 4 1 yr(Liners tend to get overated), but if RU is spending any time recruiting at this level of talent they are in B1G Trouble...
Bernard wasn't the answer after Smith anyway,nice kid but easily replaced.Knights got nothing between Perrotti and Smith and in a yr don't have them

Rivera was 2nd and Graham was 3rd.

Graham is going to Penn to play football.

I believe RU is recruiting Rivera, still a few years away if he comes.

Appears Mike Van Brill has committed to Rutgers. Junior last year finished 5th at 132 (same weight Sam Cali finished 3rd). Welcome to Rutgers Mike.

Just to let you know, Smitty is getting his Masters and going nowhere but on the mat at RU. Richie Lewis has been in the room and enrolled for September as is Luis Gonzalez from North Bergen. Lewis is killing it and will be a force this year. Campy going for 197.

what weights are gonzalez and lewis wrestling for

It looks like Lewis had a wild National JUCO tourney at 157. He was pinned in the opening round, then won seven wrestlebacks on his way to a third place finish. He majored the kid that beat him 14-1 along the way. $$$$

And when Lewis was pinned he was caught, was up big on the kid at the time.

Joe I am hoping Gonzalez will be in the 125 mix. But if not he is a good option at 133 if Girialdo needs a night off and we want to keep Scott D in a red shirt.

Lewis 157 and Gonzalez 125. Jordan Pagano is also here now transferring from Penn State.

Lewis 157 and Gonzalez 125. Jordan Pagano is also here now transferring from Penn State.

Bill, by my count I have 37 on the roster going into next season. Do you know if Julie has expanded our roster? I am sure there are a few guys that I have on the roster that are not coming back also.

Does that mean that Bakuckas is not going to make 165?

Can someone here who follows recruiting closely tell me if the Donnie P hire is paying off on the recruiting trail like it was expected or is it still too early to assess?

Can someone here who follows recruiting closely tell me if the Donnie P hire is paying off on the recruiting trail like it was expected or is it still too early to assess?
You've seen our recruits & can answer that. It's early & we don't have $ for all OOS tuition schollies & more assistants or club coaches to land some kids, so he's/we're at a disadvantage. I'd also be shocked if Suriano came here so there's that. Rutgers needs to open its wallet on 1 of the few revenue sports we have.

I second Leanard. Nice to see graff in the room but they need a full time SKWC/ROTC coach. Just give a look at who Ohis State has in its ROTC. I believe in time RU will be fully funded. Just need patience.

You've seen our recruits & can answer that. It's early & we don't have $ for all OOS tuition schollies & more assistants or club coaches to land some kids, so he's/we're at a disadvantage. I'd also be shocked if Suriano came here so there's that. Rutgers needs to open its wallet on 1 of the few revenue sports we have.
To be honest with you I dont follow closely enough to know much, if anything about our recruits hence the question. From coming to the wrestling board once in a blue moon all I can gather is that we are thin at the upper weights and it seems many of the comments regarding recruits seem to center on depth.

To be honest with you I dont follow closely enough to know much, if anything about our recruits hence the question. From coming to the wrestling board once in a blue moon all I can gather is that we are thin at the upper weights and it seems many of the comments regarding recruits seem to center on depth.
there are 2 returning all americans on the roster. thats 2 more than there has been in about 50 years, maybe ever.

program is headed in the right direction. Ohio State and their RTC showed how to get to top tier with Iowa Okie State, Penn State and Minnesota. AZ State is following a similar model. but it takes a lot of time and a lot of money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT