ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Roster Size

obrats

Senior
Mar 28, 2013
If you were at the Princeton Skull session coach Pollard spoke about roster limits that the school puts on the program. I am guessing this is due to title IX (again this is a guess). I was always under the impression that you can have as many as you want on the team just can't give more than 9.9 scholarships. I see other teams in D1 wrestling with bigger rosters and some with smaller rosters. This would seem to put a real handicap on recruiting?

Start of this season RU had 31 wrestlers listed on their site, Lex Knapp is listed but hasn't wrestled in 2 years so is that how we got to 30?

We lost (that I know of) Vinny Corsaro and Ethan Orr during the season and will lose Nick Visicaro to graduation. And are adding Billy Ward and Richie Lewis (before we talk about recruits). So by my calculations we are back at 29-30 before the next season recruits come in.

At this point we are bringing in (from what I have heard), 5 recruits - Lipari, Gentile, Povalac, Scott, and Kremiller. How do we fit these guys in to the 30 man roster? Do we have to ask some kids to leave the program? Can the coaches not bring in anymore recruits for next year (there are a couple upper weights that would be nice).

This has been in my head since the skull session and I figured I would ask.

From what I have heard, Lex Knapp had a career ending shoulder injury, but still sticks around with the team and helps out when he can. As far as the recruits go, I cannot see how you bring in the 5 newcomers, +Ward and Lewis, and still fit into the so called "30 man roster limit".

So then what's the move? Do they cut kids or find a way to expand the roster limit? I've seen plenty of rosters with over 30 kids, so what is our restriction?

ADVERTISEMENT