ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling @ THE RAC Thoughts

AreYouNUTS

Legend
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Unfortunately just my first match of the year, however, SO glad I made it down there today:

- phenomenal environment

- great crowd despite the fact that 1) we had a match Friday night 2) NFL championship games later in the day and 3) it was an unranked opponent

- you're in-and-out quickly

- very knowledgeable crowd for the most part

- the team now feeds off the RAC crowds. There is NO question. It took a while to get this way, IMHO, and there was probably 1 match we lost very, very late, but due to a GREAT move by the Purdue kid, despite the crowd going nuts. These kids love to knowledge the crowd, as well, without being arrogant or douchey about it in front of their opponents.

- person running the clock/scoreboard needs to practice. A lot.

- it's an event you can definitely bring "new" RU fans to, or old ones (hoops/football only), and they WILL enjoy the event even if it's a match RU loses (badly, at that...)

- RAZOHNN!!!

....can't thank my dear old friend, and college housemate, Josh1728 enough for today's matside seats AND everything he has done, and continues to do, to help turn this into one of the nation's premier programs. Bullmoose!

p.s. - thanks for the VIP parking, as well, even though we were late (her fault...) and nobody was out there hahahah! [cheers]

Nuts: Thanks for a great recap of your experience. This is just a taste of what following a competitive, Top 20, B1G program is like. I can only dream of a ranked football, men's basketball, men's soccer, and women's volleyball team. Maybe someday. $$$$

Saw it on btn2go and I can see exactly how good the environment was yesterday. Our kids are awesome wrestlers from top to bottom, and the coaching staff has done a wonderful job in creating our program. Isn't wrestling the highest ranked team in all RU sports for the past few years?

Our coaches should get a BIG raise, and the athletics dept needs to accommodate all their requests to continue the growth!

I may be in minority on this, but I really love the fact that all our starters are NJ kids. Can any top 20 program say this? It truly is NJ vs the world. I know we need national blue chippers, and I love Dip and Mc and any out of staters coming to RU, but it is so easy to cheer hard for our NJ kids staying home to represent their home state university in Rutgers.

Nuts: Thanks for a great recap of your experience. This is just a taste of what following a competitive, Top 20, B1G program is like. I can only dream of a ranked football, men's basketball, men's soccer, and women's volleyball team. Maybe someday. $$$$
I would kill to see RU really start to focus on doing a full fledged investment into volleyball at some point soon as it's the B1G fall niche sport. Who knows, maybe the RAC will become the full time home for volleyball, wrestling and gymnastics as we get a new basketball/ice hockey arena after being fully funded by the B1G.

Reactions: elvis7 and RUpop
As you guys know I am probably very biased but wrestling is a true man to man sport where it is you against the other guy and let's see who is best. The price of watching this action is very economical for your entertainment dollar. My man Josh is the best!

Unfortunately just my first match of the year, however, SO glad I made it down there today:

- phenomenal environment

- great crowd despite the fact that 1) we had a match Friday night 2) NFL championship games later in the day and 3) it was an unranked opponent

- you're in-and-out quickly

- very knowledgeable crowd for the most part

- the team now feeds off the RAC crowds. There is NO question. It took a while to get this way, IMHO, and there was probably 1 match we lost very, very late, but due to a GREAT move by the Purdue kid, despite the crowd going nuts. These kids love to knowledge the crowd, as well, without being arrogant or douchey about it in front of their opponents.

- person running the clock/scoreboard needs to practice. A lot.

- it's an event you can definitely bring "new" RU fans to, or old ones (hoops/football only), and they WILL enjoy the event even if it's a match RU loses (badly, at that...)

- RAZOHNN!!!

....can't thank my dear old friend, and college housemate, Josh1728 enough for today's matside seats AND everything he has done, and continues to do, to help turn this into one of the nation's premier programs. Bullmoose!

p.s. - thanks for the VIP parking, as well, even though we were late (her fault...) and nobody was out there hahahah! [cheers]

Btw.. good to meet you again Nuts. We need to grab a beer at next year's tailgate.

Bill, now that it is official that RU is fully funded OOS scholatships, have they extended any studs out of state?. Not looking for names just wondering how RU approaches kids from across the country.

Nuts

I had a similar experience last year when I attended my first RU match. A friend invited me and I sat on the floor and attended the pre- match hospitality. I did not wrestle in high school (a regret) but my son did and I became a fan of the sport.

I enjoyed the first match (Maryland) so much that I attended a couple more.This year I bought a pair of season tickets and have been at every home match including Princeton. The tickets are a great bargain and the atmosphere is very fan friendly. I highly recommend it to any RU sports fan.

ADVERTISEMENT