ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling vs Basketball & Football

Its also nonsensical. There are like 300 D1 basketball schools, and like 60 wrestling schools. Top 100 should be the floor for a recruit committing to RU for wrestling, and in most cases, I believe it is. Top 100 in basketball indicates a player who will be a difference maker on 95% of teams.

Kinda douchey ...no need to put other programs down while being proud of the accomplishments in recruiting for another.
Oh stop! He wasn't putting the programs down. He was stating the obvious. While I will give Pikiell a lot of credit for what he has done, he is nowhere near where the program needs to be. I get it..give him time. We've been saying that about every coach that comes in for every sport. That says we ain't good! Ash, by the hand of God, still has a job. Never seen act guy so serious about a team that is going nowhere. It's almost like he is putting on a concerned coach act, to distract from pissed off fans.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Its also nonsensical. There are like 300 D1 basketball schools, and like 60 wrestling schools. Top 100 should be the floor for a recruit committing to RU for wrestling, and in most cases, I believe it is. Top 100 in basketball indicates a player who will be a difference maker on 95% of teams.
Not to mention a total of 9.9 scholarships which most schools don’t even offer the full amount. On top of that you have maybe two dozen school who actually invest in their wrestling program and have the resources to compete.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Not to mention a total of 9.9 scholarships which most schools don’t even offer the full amount. On top of that you have maybe two dozen school who actually invest in their wrestling program and have the resources to compete.

That is really the point. There are about 20 relevant wrestling programs, and probably 60-70 relevant programs in football and basketball.

That is really the point. There are about 20 relevant wrestling programs, and probably 60-70 relevant programs in football and basketball.
I don't think that the most ardent of wrestling fans-and I'm not even including myself in that-would disagree with what you two are saying, but why is it so important to discount the OP's point of bringing some accolades to the program?

I don't like swimming and diving as a sport, but when my team, Northern Iowa, gets some good recruits in the last thing on my mind is to discount it.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Did that have us ranked at 30 behind a bunch of teams we regularly destroy like mich st? What kind of shit ranking was that

Oh stop! He wasn't putting the programs down. He was stating the obvious. While I will give Pikiell a lot of credit for what he has done, he is nowhere near where the program needs to be. I get it..give him time. We've been saying that about every coach that comes in for every sport. That says we ain't good! Ash, by the hand of God, still has a job. Never seen act guy so serious about a team that is going nowhere. It's almost like he is putting on a concerned coach act, to distract from pissed off fans.

He absolutely used football and hoops to prop up wrestling...there was ZERO need to even mention them...and I’m a big wrestling fan, so it’s GREAT to hear, but why bother throwing 2 other programs under the bus (and between here and twitter I’m not the only one who felt this way).

He absolutely used football and hoops to prop up wrestling...there was ZERO need to even mention them...and I’m a big wrestling fan, so it’s GREAT to hear, but why bother throwing 2 other programs under the bus (and between here and twitter I’m not the only one who felt this way).
I hear what you're saying Nuts, but at this point our football program is one long running joke and I'm a season ticket holder. I have no hope for this season and see none on the horizon. Frankly we suck. Basketball on the other hand I see a light of hope and each year Pike has shown that light brighter. Football, Ash and Hobbs deserve all the criticism and backlash they get.

Reactions: zazoo2002
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT