ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling vs P'ton/Football vs PSU day/night doubleheader in works

Thoughts:

- cool, love both sports, but...

- could be a parking/logistics nightmare and it...

- could be 38 and freezing rain with gusting winds

...not so sure if this works out well but VERY interesting!
If the weather is bad, then I'd guess it'd be moved to the RAC. Iowa had an indoor contingency plan for the OKST match.

Parking logistics could be an issue as many FB fans will want to tailgate early for TTFP, so I'd be very curious to see how they handle that.

Reactions: jerzey devil
Will only happen if the PS game is a night game. Unlikely for November.

Great idea I love it. It would have been better wrestling PSU think they could get like 25-30k. Princeton maybe 10K still a good crowd

Reactions: rubigtimenow
To me this means the PSU game will definitely be a BTN primetime game, it just hasn't been announced yet. Assuming an announcement is coming very soon.

I wouldn't assume anything yet.

I just don't think the athletic department would make this idea public if they didn't have an inkling that PSU would be a night game. Historically the ESPN primetime announcements have only come shortly before the BTN announcements, as well... And of course the school knows the selections before they're announced publicly.

Reactions: vkj91
Never been to a wrestling match and don't really know anything about the sport but I would double dip.

Wrestling in the cold doesn't sound fun.

If the weather is bad, then I'd guess it'd be moved to the RAC. Iowa had an indoor contingency plan for the OKST match.

Parking logistics could be an issue as many FB fans will want to tailgate early for TTFP, so I'd be very curious to see how they handle that.
Don't think they will have an issue with logistics. Bus the wrestling fans that do not have football priority parking over from the RAC or College Ave and back. Think there is considerate overlap in season tix holders for football/wrestling so there won't be tremendous need for additional parking.

It would be a great way to make a quick million not including the expenses
Won't come close to a million. Do you really think you would be able to get 50,000 to buy tickets at $20 for a wrestling match? Iowa priced their outdoor tickets at $10 a piece and didn't even get 50,000 yet you think Rutgers is going to be able to double the price and sell more tickets?

Won't come close to a million. Do you really think you would be able to get 50,000 to buy tickets at $20 for a wrestling match? Iowa priced their outdoor tickets at $10 a piece and didn't even get 50,000 yet you think Rutgers is going to be able to double the price and sell more tickets?
YES. Don't see the problem.

This is less of a logistical issue as you may think.

If the match is at 12pm it will be over by 2pm. I am in the Blue lot every game at 7am.

Maybe by 2pm there is 2 rows of people if you are lucky regardless of the opponent for night games, even less in the scarlet lot and blue lots.

They could separate the non parking pass people and the back of the scarlet lot in a cordened off area.
Plenty of time to clear those people out before they would need the remainder if the lot.
Maybe non parking pass people who are attending both games can pay for parking for wrestling and get a voucher for RAC parking.

10K maybe - 50K, no way, sorry. I'm very happy to see the wrestling team doing well, but I only have a mild interest in wrestling and am pretty sure our group would rather tailgate.

Realistically........ Considering we average 5k+ a match already and the fact the outdoor wrestling is an event. Couple that with curious onlookers, 2 Top 25 team, a state that loves Wrestling, and a Rutgers vs. Princeton Rivalry.

15K to 20K

Reactions: ruready07
5-10k would be the range here and I would think closer to 5k..on such a big day with a big game..its a long day so dont just think people are rushing to watch a wrestling match with tailgate prep to take care of plus a long day of tailgating ahead

Bac We average more than 5k at the indoor matches.
Pretty sure there was more than 5k at Jadwin Gym for the match this year.

I think you are severely underplaying the draw of this match.
You can't say the cold because 80% of the crowd will be going to the football game anyway.

There are some Penn State Fans who would go as well.

10K maybe - 50K, no way, sorry. I'm very happy to see the wrestling team doing well, but I only have a mild interest in wrestling and am pretty sure our group would rather tailgate.
Wonder twins power's ACTIVATE! Form of a sarcasm meter.

Last edited:
I'm very happy to see the wrestling team doing well, but I only have a mild interest in wrestling and am pretty sure our group would rather tailgate.

Pretty much this.

I can't watch a man grapple with another man.

Reactions: RUwoz
Any wrestling match I ever attended (see high school) the gym was always 90 degrees. I can't imagine these guys being happy wrestling in 50 degree weather. I guess they could put heaters down on the field around the mats, assuming they would still use mats of course. It would be kind of cool to see them wrestle in the turf. [roll]

Bac We average more than 5k at the indoor matches.
Pretty sure there was more than 5k at Jadwin Gym for the match this year.

I think you are severely underplaying the draw of this match.
You can't say the cold because 80% of the crowd will be going to the football game anyway.

There are some Penn State Fans who would go as well.

We don't average close to 5,000 fans for home meets. And there was not more than 5k at Jadwin this season. RU draws well for college wrestling(compared to other college wrestling programs). I do think this will draw about 15k---20k if a great weather day. It is before NJ High School wrestling starts, so plenty of High School teams can make the trip.

FYI-attendance this season

1,238-Quad meet at College Ave Gym
2,652-Nebraska-RAC
3,360 Mich St RAC
2,407-Maryland RAC
2,861 Wisc-RAC
3,091 Mich RAC
1,855-Lehigh RAC

We should also do a double header with Football and Soccer sometime in the future.

We don't average close to 5,000 fans for home meets. And there was not more than 5k at Jadwin this season. RU draws well for college wrestling(compared to other college wrestling programs). I do think this will draw about 15k---20k if a great weather day. It is before NJ High School wrestling starts, so plenty of High School teams can make the trip.

FYI-attendance this season

1,238-Quad meet at College Ave Gym
2,652-Nebraska-RAC
3,360 Mich St RAC
2,407-Maryland RAC
2,861 Wisc-RAC
3,091 Mich RAC
1,855-Lehigh RAC

Well it sounds like 5k :)

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
This will be cool. Put the mat in the endzone by the scoreboard and all that. Use the recruiting lounge as the press box or as premium seating. Iowa put it in the endzone, like how Syracuse does with basketball. That would give you 10k seats in the endzone, plus a good 10-15k good sightline seats on the sidelines. We wouldn't get more than that as a crowd anyway. Put the TV cameras on the field facing the endzone, crowd would look really good.

joecstrib_1447539747_Iowawresling.jpg

ive had wrestling friends hitting me up this morning about this. The casual jersey wrestling fan is definitely interested in this event. 20k easily.

ive had wrestling friends hitting me up this morning about this. The casual jersey wrestling fan is definitely interested in this event. 20k easily.

good luck with 15-20K.....we average under 3K I believe, Now suddenly because the match is outdoors we will sextuple our fanbase on a big tailgating day. I think some are overestimating things. I think the wrestling program is a growing program and is getting lots of interest but RU had 14K for the spring game, its not getting over 15K for a wrestling match outdoors, if that match was against Penn State you can generate buzz but Princeton not so much

I heard and I'm not a 100% sure Big Ten rule visiting team has to agree for a night game In November ..

good luck with 15-20K.....we average under 3K I believe, Now suddenly because the match is outdoors we will sextuple our fanbase on a big tailgating day. I think some are overestimating things. I think the wrestling program is a growing program and is getting lots of interest but RU had 14K for the spring game, its not getting over 15K for a wrestling match outdoors, if that match was against Penn State you can generate buzz but Princeton not so much

BAC Honestly ..... I think you are underestimating the draw of Wrestling in NJ. Especially for an "EVENT" like this. Outdoor Wrestling is s unique thing which will bring out many casual fans including HS School Wrestling fans.

I think 15k to 20K is not out of the realm of possibility.

.... amd Princeton will be a top 15 team in the country next year.

I agree with this but hope to be proven wrong & we have 15k-20k+.
BAC Honestly ..... I think you are underestimating the draw of Wrestling in NJ. Especially for an "EVENT" like this. Outdoor Wrestling is s unique thing which will bring out many casual fans including HS School Wrestling fans.

I think 15k to 20K is not out of the realm of possibility.

.... amd Princeton will be a top 15 team in the country next year.
The biggest wrestling event in NJ, the HS state championships, draws on avg a little under 11k for the semis & finals & a little over 9k for other rounds, which is 4k-5k below capacity IIRC. I don't see us doubling that but hope I'm wrong. I see 5k-10k max with the higher number looking like a tremendous reach.

ADVERTISEMENT