ADVERTISEMENT

Wtf Losses

biazza38

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Let me start off by saying I know the season is long, so obviously an occasional wtf loss is going to happen. But I think it’s fair to say the last few seasons we put ourselves playing for our tourney life’s when we shouldn’t. Below are our wtf losses by year

This year
Last nights at Minny
Home against Nebby
Temple
Seton Hall
Even OSU (should close it out)

Last year
Northwestern on the road. Losing is one thing. Falling behind by 20+ cant happen
Shorthanded Minnesota
Lafayette
Umass
DePaul (May give them a free pass since it was early)

2020-2021
Home against Maryland. Late in the season and we were lifeless
At Nebby. They dog walked us by 20
At PSU
Losing 5 straight early in the year shouldn’t happen
Houston in the tournament was a total collapse

This is a lot. On the flip side, we’ve picked off teams that we probably shouldn’t have, so I’ll give them credit for that. All of that being said, we shouldn’t be in the mess we’re in this year. Even without Mag, I thought for once we wouldn’t have to sweat it out. But here we are and it’s because of the games above

I think the concept of the WTF loss is real, but your net is too wide here. Some of these are in the "Games I wish we won" bucket...

Reactions: fluoxetine
I think the concept of the WTF loss is real, but your net is too wide here. Some of these are in the "Games I wish we won" bucket...
Agree my net is a little wide.
I considered NU last year a wtf loss not because we lost but because of course we go on the road a trail by 20+ in a winnable game.
Same thing with Nebraska the year before.
Was Maryland a wtf loss in 2021? Not really. But they dragged ass. Can’t do that at home. Same way they dragged ass against Nebraska this year.

Reactions: dconifer
I more view the WTF losses as the ones where we have a lead at the end and the only way we lose is if everything goes wrong and we look back and say "if we just made one play (out of a bunch of plays) we win." And now we have had 3 of these games in each of the past 3 years, late in the year in HUGE games....vs Houston in NCAA- season over, vs ND in NCAA- season over, and now vs Minnesota to clinch NCAA- ncaa hopes over?

Idk how Pike is supposed to "fix" or instill a killer mentality in his team, but it has ended our season the past two years and now may have killed our ncaa chances this year. And until it these late game meltdowns can somehow be fixed, it will be the thing that holds this program back from making the next step

Reactions: biazza38
I more view the WTF losses as the ones where we have a lead at the end and the only way we lose is if everything goes wrong and we look back and say "if we just made one play (out of a bunch of plays) we win." And now we have had 3 of these games in each of the past 3 years, late in the year in HUGE games....vs Houston in NCAA- season over, vs ND in NCAA- season over, and now vs Minnesota to clinch NCAA- ncaa hopes over?

Idk how Pike is supposed to "fix" or instill a killer mentality in his team, but it has ended our season the past two years and now may have killed our ncaa chances this year. And until it these late game meltdowns can somehow be fixed, it will be the thing that holds this program back from making the next step
I think better players. Houston, I can understand. First time we were in that big of a spot and Houston was a good team.
Yes, there are some plays we all remember but Houston also executed. It’s still a wtf loss, but at least Houston was also good.
ND game bothers me because of the failed inbound. Yesterday was a flat out train wreck. I don’t think coughing up last nights game has anything to do with the skill set of our players, but I think a better overall team wouldn’t be in that situation.
I think because of our lack of offensive prowess and how good our defense can be at times, we seem to have a lot of close games. The more close games you have, the more heart breaking losses or unbelievable wins you have.
I think once we improve offensively, we will have less games like the ones we had last night against Minny, ND, and Houston

Reactions: tfio
I wish I'd been more polite and inserted "in my opinion" in there somewhere...

ADVERTISEMENT