ADVERTISEMENT

Yale FOGO TD Irelans In Transfer Portal

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ivy is still unsure if they will play spring sports, and as a result Irelans has decided to enter the portal. Not sure if we will pursue him after landing the St. John's FOGO but I'd at least inquire. Getting him would make us a legit contender.

Ivy is still unsure if they will play spring sports, and as a result Irelans has decided to enter the portal. Not sure if we will pursue him after landing the St. John's FOGO but I'd at least inquire. Getting him would make us a legit contender.

No it would not, we are still missing pieces

I think your being shortsighted. This is the most complete team RU has had in a long time and the offense will score - just need possession lol.

I think your being shortsighted. This is the most complete team RU has had in a long time and the offense will score - just need possession lol.
Ierlan....is a game changer x 10...

I think this team with a 45/50% face off guy will be very good

If you had one of the best in the game (Ierlan), this RU team would be very very good and a handful...

looks like he may end up in Denver with a couple of other Yale guys.

Men’s lacrosse is amazing the way you simply cannot gain momentum when you lose faceoffs at the rate we do.
It doesn’t even matter if to a man, you’re better than the opposition.
Without consistency at the level we play at, you can’t make a run

I still haven’t figured out why any good lacrosse player who loves to play the game would want that job.
Albeit, as important as the position is.

I still haven’t figured out why any good lacrosse player who loves to play the game would want that job.
Albeit, as important as the position is.

As a former FOGO (before the term was coined), the skill set is separate and apart from the rest of the middie requirements. And if you have those skills, and are not going to light up the scoreboard, it's a way to make a major contribution to the team and get significant playing time. My skills, outside of facing off, were perfect for a LSM, but the position didn't exist when I played.

As a former FOGO (before the term was coined), the skill set is separate and apart from the rest of the middie requirements. And if you have those skills, and are not going to light up the scoreboard, it's a way to make a major contribution to the team and get significant playing time. My skills, outside of facing off, were perfect for a LSM, but the position didn't exist when I played.
mdk
What if you have the skills necessary to light up the scoreboard, and play huge minutes.
But you’re also by far the best faceoff man on the squad.
I hear your importance to the team on faceoffs outweighs your ability to play significant minutes, because your so important you can’t get hurt or to tired

mdk
What if you have the skills necessary to light up the scoreboard, and play huge minutes.
But you’re also by far the best faceoff man on the squad.
I hear your importance to the team on faceoffs outweighs your ability to play significant minutes, because your so important you can’t get hurt or to tired

In today's game the best FOGO is virtually never the top offensive player because over the years it has become more and more specialized. In fact, the midfield position itself has become more and more specialized with SSDMs and LSMs, which didn't even begin to be introduced until well into the 80's. But even back in the day it was unusual for a top scorer to be a FOGO.

In the situation you described it would depend on how good the other offensive players and FOGOs were. If your #2 FOGO was good for 55% plus you'd limit the top guy's draws to utilize his offensive skills. Should the game go down to a key draw you'd use him. If you had a great group of scorers in addition to the top guy you'd face him off as much as necessary.

In today's game the best FOGO is virtually never the top offensive player because over the years it has become more and more specialized. In fact, the midfield position itself has become more and more specialized with SSDMs and LSMs, which didn't even begin to be introduced until well into the 80's. But even back in the day it was unusual for a top scorer to be a FOGO.

In the situation you described it would depend on how good the other offensive players and FOGOs were. If your #2 FOGO was good for 55% plus you'd limit the top guy's draws to utilize his offensive skills. Should the game go down to a key draw you'd use him. If you had a great group of scorers in addition to the top guy you'd face him off as much as necessary.
To much for me to digest, but thank you.
I’m breaking this down to the common denominator, playing the sport you love is the most important thing and you want to be on the field as much as possible.
But of course that fails to explain a starting pitcher, long snappers, kickers and FOGO’s lol.
Just having fun mdk01

Last edited:
Men’s lacrosse is amazing the way you simply cannot gain momentum when you lose faceoffs at the rate we do.
It doesn’t even matter if to a man, you’re better than the opposition.
Without consistency at the level we play at, you can’t make a run
Then never lose that ground ball.😉

After I find out who won or lost it’s the first thing I look for in the box score.

Last edited:
To much for me to digest, but thank you.
I’m breaking this down to the common denominator, playing the sport you love is the most important thing and you want to be on the field as much as possible.
But of course that fails to explain a starting pitcher, long snappers, kickers and FOGO’s lol.
Just having fun mdk01
Said more elementary you’d never find if someone could be the best offensive player and face off guy. You’d be forced over the years to choose one, hurting the other side.

That said, faceoffs are going to get back to close what they were. The ball is going to come out much faster and those guys are going to be playing a lot more in the field. Groundball scraps are going to be norm. You aren’t going to see guys clamp and pick it up nearly as much. Athletes who can pick up the ball and run with it after they do will be premium.

I think these new rules are very interesting. Because someone was great at facing off before doesn’t mean you will be now. Not saying Irelan won’t be as dominant as he was, but it wouldn’t shock me if he wasn’t.

Said more elementary you’d never find if someone could be the best offensive player and face off guy. You’d be forced over the years to choose one, hurting the other side.

That said, faceoffs are going to get back to close what they were. The ball is going to come out much faster and those guys are going to be playing a lot more in the field. Groundball scraps are going to be norm. You aren’t going to see guys clamp and pick it up nearly as much. Athletes who can pick up the ball and run with it after they do will be premium.

I think these new rules are very interesting. Because someone was great at facing off before doesn’t mean you will be now. Not saying Irelan won’t be as dominant as he was, but it wouldn’t shock me if he wasn’t.
It will be interesting to see the difference statistically....people talk about ground balls and effort...and that has to be there no doubt...but the last few years, the top ground ballers in the NCAA statistically were the FOGO's...so in most cases, if you didn't have a FOGO that could control the X and the ball, you weren't gonna win many face offs...no matter who was on the wing...looking at last years ground ball stats...18 of the top 20 were FOGO's....the good FOGO's win the face off AND control the GB....the data shows that the best FOGO's in the country, also show up at the top of the GB stats...that's no accident

Now, the changes coming can put more emphasis on better wing and LSM play...so no doubt that wing and LSM play needs to be much better and will continue to be important...But it all starts at the FOGO...if they can control the x, we can win more battles...if your getting cleaned at the x, it's tough for the wings to even get in there before the battle is over...hopefully the new rules change that and hopefully our new FOGO helps along with much improved wing play...

Nothing makes me happier than seeing my sons come out of a scrum with a tough fought GB...love it...but unless the x battle is tied up...the wings can't get in fast enough to impact...

Hope we get to see it this year...it will be a rocky year all year...covid will cause issues...it already is...

Last edited:

New rules or changes this year?

Found it:

To prohibit the use of the motorcycle grip during the faceoff.

Rationale: To address the clamping and the resulting long stalemates (thereby enhancing the pace of play), to provide more opportunities for the use of different techniques on the faceoff and to produce more 50/50 ground balls. This change to reduce the power clamp coupled with enforcing the crosse rules, will in turn, reduce the manipulation of the crosse before, during and after the faceoff.

Last edited:

A couple of things:

1. Maybe not "as dominant", but the top FOGO's all had lightning quick initial moves. That's not going to change.

2. As flexible as the sticks are these days the balls may not be coming out faster as often as it might first appear. More so than in the immediate past few years, but like in the past.

3. Wing play was an underemphasized part of the game. I criticized RU on that aspect over the past few seasons. It makes sense that teams will wake up to that fact.

In addition to prohibiting the motorcycle grip are there going to be changes to the kneeling position?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT