ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Yazeed Haynes decommits

I watch college sports because of it's connection to where I went to school. If I only want to watch the best athletes I'll watch the pros who are following the money and have little or no allegiance to the team (or school) for whom they play. Using that rationale, why would I watch the minor leagues, how many people follow A, AA, or AAA baseball? The level of competition is higher in the real pro leagues.

College football and basketball will be the minor leagues and it will only hurt non-blue bloods like Rutgers, especially our Olympic sports. Lower-level talent will also eventually be hurt once the money disappears and programs reduce budgets accordingly. If you think that is a good thing or it is "progress" then I won't argue with you.

CS Lewis on why protecting the "lawn" sometimes makes sense.

Thomas Sowell wrote a book or two about it as well.
College football and basketball have been the minor leagues for the NFL and NBA for years/ decades because why would both leagues organize their own minor leagues if they can get it for free with the NCAA? Why do you think coaches like Nick Saban and Caliparri were getting those BIG TIME contracts? Because they love their State U? Funny how no one has a problem with coaches making $10 million/ year and other coaches can leave at anytime they get a better offer from a bigger school.

If there were LEGIT minor leagues like MLB, MLB, or even those European Soccer organizations, college football today would highlight Bucknell vs Lafayette.

People who follow verbals too closely might need to take a few deep breaths. RU like many schools will lose some who have verbaled and will gain some who have "re-opened" their recruitment. While NIL is a factor, this happened prior to the NIL supreme court ruling. A verbal commitment should probably not be referred to as a commitment.

College football and basketball have been the minor leagues for the NFL and NBA for years/ decades because why would both leagues organize their own minor leagues if they can get it for free with the NCAA? Why do you think coaches like Nick Saban and Caliparri were getting those BIG TIME contracts? Because they love their State U? Funny how no one has a problem with coaches making $10 million/ year and other coaches can leave at anytime they get a better offer from a bigger school.

If there were LEGIT minor leagues like MLB, MLB, or even those European Soccer organizations, college football today would highlight Bucknell vs Lafayette.
FWIW I agree with you about college coaches and their salaries.

However, I view minor leagues as lower level professional leagues, that is NOT what NCAA has been in the past. Previously the NCAA acted as a feeder program for the pros but were not minor leagues. I'd much rather just go the same route as MLB and not have the pretense of college FB and BB (less so than FB) as THE alternative to the way MLB does it.

Let kids go right to the pro ranks if they want, force the NFL and NBA to develop their own talent. Let the other kids go the college route if they don't have the talent or if they want an education. The NIL ruling was essentially a restraint of trade issue. College kids had no alternative for monetizing their services.

In the above system, if kids want NIL they would go minor league pro. Otherwise they would enter into a legal contract, i.e. scholarship offer where they would wave NIL or maybe have a much more sane version of it. That would immediately cut the legs from out under the blue bloods.

Instead of transferring to OSU after having proven themselves at Rutgers, someone would need go to the pros. It levels the playing field. To where we are evolving now is untenable and teams like OSU will always have the $$ advantage and essentially treat schools like Rutgers as their feeder program. Just look at some of the recent portal/NIL deals. Something that can't go on forever, won't. Right now schools like Rutgers are bleeding money, the idea that the kids are the only ones taking the risk and the universities aren't but are making money hand over fist is nonsense. All but a few top programs will be hung out to dry. Trying to keep up with the Blue Bloods in todays Portal/NIL world is going to make it worse.

Last edited:
lol can’t find a way to get the guy paid. Either Hobbs has to start prospecting and greasing potential deals or it’s time to find someone with more charisma who can.

From now on official visits should be 75-90% compensation/NIL negotiations. All heads on deck to cut big league deals.

I just don’t see how coaches stick with this anymore. The constant movement and uncertainty is maddening.

Now if he goes to Georgia it will confirm to me that Fran Brown is working overtime to make Greg regret his decision to pass him over.

The accusation is presumably that the US Womens team - made up of grownups and (usually all) professionals - have been “corrupted by money” because they asked for equal compensation with the far-inferior mens team. It has triggered some.

You have mis presumed.

In response to "I will start to follow other Olympic Sports more closely now. There is not enough revenue available (yet) to corrupt those sports." from a poster, I pointed out that the US Women's Soccer team which plays in the O L Y M P I C S has already been corrupted by money. They didn't ask for equal compensation they asked for both a lesser guaranteed amount and then also the benefits of a revenue based deal they had previously rejected. And as so many "Political Victim Groups" they were granted what they wanted despite it's "fairness". In doing so they made a huge public stink about the whole thing, which would be the exact thing the poster seemed interested in.

If you think they're a better team then the Men's team please explain why Boy's High School teams have historically beaten your vaunted Women's team.

Try to be more direct if you have a criticism in the future. I don't get Triggered - that's for presumably folks like you.

You have mis presumed.

In response to "I will start to follow other Olympic Sports more closely now. There is not enough revenue available (yet) to corrupt those sports." from a poster, I pointed out that the US Women's Soccer team which plays in the O L Y M P I C S has already been corrupted by money. They didn't ask for equal compensation they asked for both a lesser guaranteed amount and then also the benefits of a revenue based deal they had previously rejected. And as so many "Political Victim Groups" they were granted what they wanted despite it's "fairness". In doing so they made a huge public stink about the whole thing, which would be the exact thing the poster seemed interested in.

If you think they're a better team then the Men's team please explain why Boy's High School teams have historically beaten your vaunted Women's team.

Try to be more direct if you have a criticism in the future. I don't get Triggered - that's for presumably folks like you.
Yes the men's team would beat the women's team every time they play. I'm sure even the ladies involved would readily admit that, unless they're being dishonest. The men's team will have a worse record, fewer titles, and less success than the women. I suppose it's how one measures better.
If the Rutgers women win the NCAA soccer title - and I've love to see RU claim a championship before I die - and the men finish, say, 5th in the Big Ten and go out in the first round, I'd call the women better even though I'm acutely aware they would lose if by some weird happenstance they ended up having a scrimmage against the men's team. But I suppose it's a semantics, and some might define "better" differently.

You have mis presumed.

And I was not incorrect in presuming that you felt they were "corrupted by money, as per your own admission. That's subjective. Some might disagree that asking for a revenue based deal is a sign of being corrupt, while others would agree.

And I was not incorrect in presuming that you felt they were "corrupted by money, as per your own admission. That's subjective. Some might disagree that asking for a revenue based deal is a sign of being corrupt, while others would agree.

You presumed I thought they were corrupted for wanting equal compensation when in reality they wanted it both ways after agreeing to the lower compensation plan.

You presumed I thought they were corrupted for wanting equal compensation when in reality they wanted it both ways after agreeing to the lower compensation plan.
Ok, fine. Semantics. You felt they were "corrupted" based on their beef over pay, however you want to define that beef.

Sure, in the pre-NIL days many top programs cheated... and when an SEC team was caught cheating you had to worry what would happen to the next Sun Belt team caught with a paperwork problem.

So NIL actually makes the lesser conferences safer.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Kids commitments these days are worthless. It’s all “look at me”

In the 80s.. the AIAW National Champions played the Frat League All-Stars.. and got destroyed. It is just a different game.

That said, I once stupidly got rejected by a womens team member in a pickup game. I played a lot of pickup games and I was shocked how that pass.. wasn't going to be a shot.. well, she must not have thought I could go around her.. most players there would have respected my jab-step.. she just stood there and got tall. No one wanted to guard her.. you know.. "a girl".. so I did it.

I used to follow recruiting faithfully, knowing almost the entire team roster, who was graduating, what the team would look like going into the next season, where they were from, what high schools they attended, etc. I remember actually clipping recruiting articles from the newspaper and keeping a folder of prospects, commitments, etc.

The fact that I don't even know who this is says a lot about what the state of the recruiting "game" has done to my enthusiasm.
And you couldn’t wait until Street and Smith, Lindy’s and Athlons came out in August!
The game was fun then!!
Do they still print those…lol.
Pay for play, portal free agency and opt out of bowl games leaves me with little to no interest.
For those who keep repeating “ get used to it”….enjoy our USFL size crowds and enthusiasm at home games….May as well close the upper deck.
FYI
Our staff is fighting like crazy to keep commitments with choices on board, and get prospects with choices interested…why?
These 17 year old all want bag $$$$$ and are being offered it from our competitors.
I wouldn’t pay a nickel to watch it…just me

I just don’t see how coaches stick with this anymore. The constant movement and uncertainty is maddening.

Now if he goes to Georgia it will confirm to me that Fran Brown is working overtime to make Greg regret his decision to pass him over.
We do not know what Greg offered to try to keep Fran here
Fran might have passed on an offer for co-defensive coach for all we know
What we do know is that Georgia was a huge opportunity

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
We do not know what Greg offered to try to keep Fran here
Fran might have passed on an offer for co-defensive coach for all we know
What we do know is that Georgia was a huge opportunity
Fran is a hyper aggressive recruiter, he doesn't need to use a grudge or a perceived slight to go after top recruits. Now that he has the clout of Georgia and its $s behind him I am sure he is even that much more effective.

Fran is a hyper aggressive recruiter, he doesn't need to use a grudge or a perceived slight to go after top recruits. Now that he has the clout of Georgia and its $s behind him I am sure he is even that much more effective.
Oh I agree with that
Just addressing the issue of trying to keep him and how hard it was due to the prestige of going to Georgia
Looks good on the resume

This is like the primary season. The voters will really speak when they have to renew their donations. Stay tuned. $$$$

I see he got bumped up to a 4 star as soon as Ped st got involved lol. I see this happen way too many times.

No surprise, recently HC Dr. Evil over there, was quoted saying he needed money to stay competitive with OSU. I guess the booster base came through.

I see he got bumped up to a 4 star as soon as Ped st got involved lol. I see this happen way too many times.

And yet you still don’t understand how it works. Haynes won MVP at the Rivals Philly camp. His performance there RESULTED in a higher rating and caught the attention of bigger programs.

You seem to understand the events that took place, but can’t figure out which one’s the cause and which one’s the effect.

Yazeed decided to go with a program that is considered a winning program instead of becoming a part of a program becoming a winner.
As for staying home , considering he's from Pennsylvanian , I can't complain about him saying that
But recognize it was a PR statement implying loyalty and ignoring he gave his word to another program then backed out of that commitment..

I'm going to withhold my reaction until NIL, if any, details come out.

Obviously that alone determines if this is a sign of the end of college football or not.
Because players never decommitted from Rutgers to PSU before dirty dirty NIL corrupted college football.

• Haha
Reactions: PSU_Nut
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT