ADVERTISEMENT

Year Four of the Steve Pikiell era begins NOW

Big fan of Rothstein. Good exposure.

Interesting to hear he sees Harper Jr as more of a glue guy than having star potential.

I doubt Mathis will be happy as a non starter based on the number of games starting as a freshmen and his status as a 4 star recruit out of high school.Playing time will be a ongoing issue throughout the season for the small forward and guard positions.

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
I doubt Mathis will be happy as a non starter based on the number of games starting as a freshmen and his status as a 4 star recruit out of high school.Playing time will be a ongoing issue throughout the season for the small forward and guard positions.

Let's wait and see on who's happy and who's not and how line-ups change as the season goes on, maybe? Just looking for negatives.

Young as a slasher would be great. Needs to be more than a chucker like he was at Texas.

The depth we have at the 1,2,3 should really help us on both ends of the court. I love the idea of playing some small ball at times. I also think Caleb will find his way playing some significant minutes.

Reactions: Scangg
Let's wait and see on who's happy and who's not and how line-ups change as the season goes on, maybe? Just looking for negatives.
I'm stating a opinion which has relevance with the great number of players transferring this season.I guess you forgot that Eugene surprised everyone by transferring after the season was over.

Does Jon Rothstein have a connection to Rutgers ? He seems to be a BIG fan of New Jersey’s Team.

Does Jon Rothstein have a connection to Rutgers ? He seems to be a BIG fan of New Jersey’s Team.
He truly is a junkie of College BB. No connection at all to RU to the best of my knowledge. He reports on many teams like he did for us just now and may be a bit more intimate with RU since he lives in NYC and probably knows Pikell though Pike's work at CBS Sports.

Thanks Phil. Can not wait until the practice center opens. And REALLY looking forward to next season.

It's only a prediction from Rothstein and I'm more interested about who ends the game than starts the game. Pike is really good - maybe some times too unselfish - in his distribution of minutes throughout the season.

Big fan of Rothstein. Good exposure.

Interesting to hear he sees Harper Jr as more of a glue guy than having star potential.
Think he misused the term or at least hope he did. Harper's gonna be way more than a "glue guy" he'll be our #1 or #2 scorer imo and may lead the team in mpg

Reactions: Scangg
I'm stating a opinion which has relevance with the great number of players transferring this season.I guess you forgot that Eugene surprised everyone by transferring after the season was over.

That is true.

It is also true that your response to a slew of very positive comments from a CBB expert was straight up negative.

Conversely, my reaction to those tweets was this season is going to be interesting and fun! We are going to compete for the top half of B1G!

Last edited:
I didn't forget. But you are searching for chemistry problems based off one tweet.[/QUOT
I didn't forget. But you are searching for chemistry problems based off one tweet.
I disagree.Athletes are interested in three things, namely starting games, playing time and winning.Rutgers is now attracting more talented players which means less playing time for all concerned.Its the same situation at schools throughout the country.How players and coaching staffs cope with this issue changes year to year.I am not searching for chemistry problems but rather stating a opinion on what happens when teams attract more talented players .For Rutgers its a good thing because competition for playing time causes all players to work harder .

I think its only natural with the current status of the transfer portal to wonder, in the back of our minds, how playing time will affect possible transfers. Knowing Rutgers fans, any transfer out will be a doomsday scenario.

Reactions: Scarlet83
We arent used to seeing more than 5 capable starters.

I suspect that defense will be the carrot that determines who starts
Agree on this.

Also, I do recall there have been teams on the basketball landscape that used combos such as 4 guards and a center, 4 guards and a center, 3 guards and 2 forwards, 3 forwards and 2 guards, etc. Bottom line is lots of kids that can play in different ways allows Pikiell to have flexibility for matchups and mismatches. I do think defensive play will dictate heavily for playing time.

Agree on this.

Also, I do recall there have been teams on the basketball landscape that used combos such as 4 guards and a center, 4 guards and a center, 3 guards and 2 forwards, 3 forwards and 2 guards, etc. Bottom line is lots of kids that can play in different ways allows Pikiell to have flexibility for matchups and mismatches. I do think defensive play will dictate heavily for playing time.

These are very good problems to have. StoneyBrook was an excellent example of how Pikiell operates. He just keeps keeps filling spots with guys that want to perform and gel into his system. Defense, hard work, Buy in, Etc.
Color me “very excited “!!!

Even with Omoruyi gone people are worried about more players transferring out because of playing time. This is a new problem to have but a good one. Some people hypocritical tho lol

Reactions: Scarlet83
Even with Omoruyi gone people are worried about more players transferring out because of playing time. This is a new problem to have but a good one. Some people hypocritical tho lol

A lot depends on getting Tillman and/or a good 2020 class. If we had one or two top-200 recruits committed then there'd be less fretting about players transferring out.

Reactions: Local Shill
I doubt Mathis will be happy as a non starter based on the number of games starting as a freshmen and his status as a 4 star recruit out of high school. Playing time will be a ongoing issue throughout the season for the small forward and guard positions.

Part of Pike's job is to clearly define each player's role within his system. As long as he's recruiting the right student athletes and the messaging is clear, playing time - even for heralded 4-star recruits - shouldn't be an ongoing concern. I'm sure Pike will have to occasionally massage an ego here and there, and transfers will happen, but the depth that he is building is a great 'program building' problem for Rutgers Basketball. Bottom-line: Mathis is extremely talented...as long as he buys in and comes to compete every day, he'll get his minutes.

I like the starting lineup he predicted. I just want Young and Mulcahy running the point. Exciting to think we would have Mulcahy, Mathis and Caleb to come off the bench

Reactions: RUDieHard
An interesting conversation is whether Geo at the 1 and Young at the 2 or vice versa is the better role for each player / the team since neither is really a 100% PG

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Or if positions even matter when both are on the court, since either should be able to run the point or play off ball - getting toward Pike's "positionless" comment.
This is more likely the scenario anyway. My only concern with Young is that he seems more like a scorer than a distributor. If he's running the one maybe too many possessions where he just dribbbles up and chucks a 3 or tries to take it to the hoop himself when he could kick it out or dump it off. All speculation on my part though. We shall see

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think its only natural with the current status of the transfer portal to wonder, in the back of our minds, how playing time will affect possible transfers. Knowing Rutgers fans, any transfer out will be a doomsday scenario.

Yup. As Pike says, he plays the best and is fair to the rest.

Small-ball is almost a misnomer with the length of our guards.

I expect the rebounding stats will be more widely distributed this season.

All I know is many were doom & gloom RE having so many freshman last season:chairshot:
and
we stepped up, the freshmen matured and we did pretty well
:okay:we have a great coach:okay:
.....................and...................
[thumb2]improved talent overall[thumb2]

..................:smiley:IMO:smiley:..................

...... :boxing:THIS year will be :boxing:........

[banana][cheers]exciting ![cheers][banana]

ADVERTISEMENT