ADVERTISEMENT

Young reminds me of

Rutgers had a guard eons ago, I think the last name was Jones.... I think we only had him for one year and he must have gotten into academic trouble and resurfaced at LIU, I believe.....there, he put up big numbers, and got some national recognition

anyway, he would drive to the basket with big moves and half of the time the ball would roll out.... I think he must have gotten better at that, with LIU

I used to call him "our almost all-american", because he was so close to being really good, for us

this is the guy he reminds me of, but further along than Jones year here

One of the quickest and fastest players I've ever seen on a court, which is why I was pretty sure he'd figure things out and become a key cog on this team, since speed kills, both on defense and offense, when used properly. He's really cookin' now! He has the kind of speed and change-on-a-dime elusivness that makes me wonder what he could do on a football field, where height isn't as important (which could limit him professionally in hoops).

Rutgers had a guard eons ago, I think the last name was Jones.... I think we only had him for one year and he must have gotten into academic trouble and resurfaced at LIU, I believe.....there, he put up big numbers, and got some national recognition

anyway, he would drive to the basket with big moves and half of the time the ball would roll out.... I think he must have gotten better at that, with LIU

I used to call him "our almost all-american", because he was so close to being really good, for us

Charles Jones. But he was an outside shot maker. Don't think he went to class and led the country in scoring for the blackbirds.

Last edited:
I kinda remember the similar moves to the hoop also. Was a long time ago
Well to score the avg. Points he did he must have do that too lol but I just mostly recall his rising up on springs for the outside shot kinda "Q like".

I was going to say John Battle. Battle was a better jump shooter. But they both played quick and have hops

Charles Jones. Played 2 years at RU where he was an on again off again offensive weapon. I believe he had academic/personal issues and transferred to LIU where he LED THE NATION in scoring twice. He also finished in the top 10 in assists. I believe he had a short career in the NBA.

oops. Just saw someone else answered. Consider this confirmation.

Last edited:
I don’t see the Battle comparison. He had the most ridiculous mid-range pull up jumper I’ve ever seen at RU. Young is more os a slasher to the rim.
It’s the quickness and the hops. Yes Battles ability to shoot was a total difference between the two.

Not the same type of player, but the energy level he plays at constantly reminds me of Latrell Sprewell, who, no matter what you thought of him, was always the most active player on the court.

I was in school during the Charles Jones era. He was really smooth but don’t think he had Young’s jets.

Reactions: satnom
Young is super quick and can get to the basket but he needs to work on the finish. The elite ones can finish in traffic.

Charles Jones was the most explosive player I’ve seen at RU. I remembered this one baseline dunk where he was almost parallel to the floor.

Young is super quick and can get to the basket but he needs to work on the finish. The elite ones can finish in traffic.

Charles Jones was the most explosive player I’ve seen at RU. I remembered this one baseline dunk where he was almost parallel to the floor.

What about Sam Sanders or Dhantay for explosiveness?

Reactions: brookdale-soda
I was in school during the Charles Jones era. He was really smooth but don’t think he had Young’s jets.
This and Charlie as I recall was longer in the 6'3" - 6'5" range with great handle but not the level of quicks of Young.

GO RU

The water bug!

giphy.gif

Griffin was the only guy I can think of as possibly being as fast as Jacob Young over the last 49 years of watching RU basketball but he could not score like Young does. Battle was a good jump shooter but was not nearly as fast as Young. Charles Jones was not nearly as fast as well. He did lead the nation in scoring at LIU and I think he played a few games in the NBA but I could be wrong.

Stylistically ...the player that Jacob young plays like most is Allan iverson ...just an fast explosion to the hoop.

Nate “Tiny” Archibald.Obviously not a hall of famer who could score at will,but that sort of quickness

Posted that the other day. But Young is more like a faster Earl Johnson (lefty point for Bannon).

Earl Johnson wasn’t lefty, but Al Karner was. EJ wasn’t really a high energy guy on either end or nearly as athletic. He only had one dunk that I recall - on a breakaway against Gtown- and the RAC went nuts because I don’t think anyone thought he could do it. We played mostly below the rim in those days.

Earl Johnson wasn’t lefty, but Al Karner was. EJ wasn’t really a high energy guy on either end or nearly as athletic. He only had one dunk that I recall - on a breakaway against Gtown- and the RAC went nuts because I don’t think anyone thought he could do it. We played mostly below the rim in those days.
EJ dunk was against G’Town or ‘Cuse?

ok, ya know things start to go at 61. Thanks. I could have sworn he was though lol. I remember Al as well.

EJ dunk was against G’Town or ‘Cuse?

I’m fairly certain it was vs Gtown at home in 98-99. That was the year where we were 17-7 with four games to go, including two at home. After we beat BC to go 17-7 someone in the media (Izenberg?) said - that’s it, I can finally confidently say Rutgers has broken the streak! They’re virtually assured of going to the NCAA at this point. (back then 18 wins from the Big East was close to a lock).
Of course, we went on to lose (unsurprisingly) to UConn who was #2. We lost a heartbreaker @SHU by 2 pts but still had Gtown at home to “clinch” before a road game at a tough Miami (#11). We had already beaten Gtown at their place earlier in the year and the RAC was electric. Possibly the loudest since PSU-RU A-10 final. Toward the end of the game my memory was EJ had a breakaway dunk and I thought the place might explode. Sadly, we came up short in the end and subsequently lost at Miami; finishing the regular season 0-4.

EJ transferred to Iona after the season and later was part of the FT lawsuit/scandal that took down Bannon. An amazing season turned incredibly sour in ways that still seem impossible to comprehend.

ADVERTISEMENT