ADVERTISEMENT

Trigger Warning!!! This is a Politi article!!

I listened to the podcast on my way home from work yesterday. Politi basically was assigning blame to our coaches for not developing him. Francesca, to his credit, pointed to some of the point blank misfires under zero pressure (he game the running back slot incompletion from the spring game as an example) and argued that he didnt think inaccuracy and inability to make reads and adjustments were necessarily teachable skills.

To me, Brian’s point is a good one and where I see AK being a very big upgrade for us. AK is very reliable in the pass game when protection holds up well. You can see this in both the spring game as well as his Minny film. If the design play is well covered, he’s consistently able to adjust and find something else - caveat being, when a defender isn’t running at him. He’s not great (average at best) when the play breaks down if he’s pressured (even modestly - as in defender running at him but not there yet). Not always, but at times he panics and throws the ball into harms way. Gavin does this less. But he’s basically programmed to run the design play or throw the ball away under pressure - he’s shown very little ability even when unguarded to complete unscripted bunnies. And his ball placement is extremely poor except when a dart with a ton of zip is called for on a design play into space (see his first throw ever as a frosh). People see those throws and see massive upside potential but it’s likely fools gold because of his shortcomings in so many other areas of pass play.

Football Athan Kaliakmanis Named QB1, Gavin Entering Portal

I don’t see much “bitterness”.

Honestly - for all we know, Gavin and Schiano agreed together that he should explore options where he has a clear path to being a starter. If he doesn’t find something that fits this script maybe the plan is for him to return to RU. That’s still allowed, right? I actually don’t see much chance of him leaving to be the back up for another major conference team unless the starter graduates this year and he sees a clearer path for the following year.

Read Page 6

Spending $ for wr's have to use them, can't risk having to depend on the read option again next year

If Shepard is being given a "shot", the season is already heading south.
Yeah that's why I said "if anything", meaning worst case scenario for AK...season doesn't have to be going south, this team is good, could be the coaches want more from the QB spot than what they are getting from AK...but I doubt it, he should be able to hold the spot down as Gavin did last year and they will reassess at the end of the season again.

Football Athan Kaliakmanis Named QB1, Gavin Entering Portal

Lot of unnecessary bitterness towards GW here. Rutgers has played transfers. It's part of the process. GW wants to start. That's wrong?
I don’t see much “bitterness”.

Honestly - for all we know, Gavin and Schiano agreed together that he should explore options where he has a clear path to being a starter. If he doesn’t find something that fits this script maybe the plan is for him to return to RU. That’s still allowed, right? I actually don’t see much chance of him leaving to be the back up for another major conference team unless the starter graduates this year and he sees a clearer path for the following year.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT