ADVERTISEMENT

11/22/1963

I was in Dallas this summer, and visited Dealey Plaza. The first questions that occurred to me, why didn’t Oswald fire when JFK was coming toward him on the street that was directly in front of the window? Why wait until the motorcade turned onto Elm and was moving away from him?

This link takes you to a live feed from that window:
Maybe because shooting at the car as it moves away provides more secrecy? Shooting from the front would cause people to look straight ahead at the direction of the building he was shooting from. Oswald very much wanted to get away with the crime.

Maybe because shooting at the car as it moves away provides more secrecy? Shooting from the front would cause people to look straight ahead at the direction of the building he was shooting from. Oswald very much wanted to get away with the crime.
Or, maybe it was a coordinated strike with someone he knew would be positioned on or near the grassy knoll.

The ballistics and forensics do not support any shots from the side or front. All shots that hit Kennedy came from the rear. He had two entrance wounds, in the upper back near his neck and in the upper right side of the back of his head which caused the massive exit wound on the right front side of his head.

Reactions: SBP
It is clear by documented evidence that JFK intended to withdraw 1,000 US troops from Vietnam by the end of 1963 & to withdraw all US troops from Vietnam by 1965. The CIA & Military were extremely opposed to this action. Always suspected the CIA.
There is an issue with the CIA idea. It's already November of 1963, and the election is just a year away. The risk/reward of killing Kennedy is extremely low. Kennedy already had a close election in 1960. Plus J. Edgar Hoover had a bunch of dirt on Kennedy. It would make a lot more sense to just run some ops campaign against Kennedy during the election. Same reward with a ton less risk.
I was in Dallas this summer, and visited Dealey Plaza. The first questions that occurred to me, why didn’t Oswald fire when JFK was coming toward him on the street that was directly in front of the window? Why wait until the motorcade turned onto Elm and was moving away from him?

It's easier to lead a target moving away from you than coming toward toward you.

Reactions: ashokan

FWIW I always heard the thought about that was the limo had to slow down to make the left turn in front of the window. Also as others have stated the area around Dealy plaza and the Texas School Book Depository is really quite compact. When you visit the museum you can look out from Oswald’s perspective… it’s remarkably close. Likewise looking up from the red ❌ on the street towards the window you can see it is certainly possible to hit a moving target from that distance. It was an eerie experience.

There is an issue with the CIA idea. It's already November of 1963, and the election is just a year away. The risk/reward of killing Kennedy is extremely low. Kennedy already had a close election in 1960. Plus J. Edgar Hoover had a bunch of dirt on Kennedy. It would make a lot more sense to just run some ops campaign against Kennedy during the election. Same reward with a ton less risk.

It's easier to lead a target moving away from you than coming toward toward you.

Another sniper technique is to place the gun scope on one spot and wait for the subject to move into it. That way you aren't moving the gun trying to track a target.

I learned that in a PC game on my own and then saw a documentary about Iraq war where a SEAL sniper talked about doing the same thing.

The car had actually passed closer to the front of the book building, but when car was down the street it was easier to stabilize rifle and target JFK cleanly.

Book building view from window - lock the rifle on mid road spot and wait - bang

jXr3cng.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
Nixon wanted CIA chief's help and used CIA's Bay of pigs/JFK shooting as bargaining chip.
Nixon was ousted a few months later.
Nixon and JFK both wanted to cut toxic CIA down
"Splinter the CIA into a thousand pieces and scatter it into the winds" - JFK

Reactions: WasatRutgers
The ballistics and forensics do not support any shots from the side or front. All shots that hit Kennedy came from the rear. He had two entrance wounds, in the upper back near his neck and in the upper right side of the back of his head which caused the massive exit wound on the right front side of his head.
Correct. But different type bullets. The neck wound was a small exit wound whereas the headshot exploded.

I was 21 at the time. Kennedy was extremely popular. There was a great positive spirit all over the Country. We haven't experienced anything like it since. JFK would have won in a landslide.

I was 21 at the time. Kennedy was extremely popular. There was a great positive spirit all over the Country. We haven't experienced anything like it since. JFK would have won in a landslide.

Not that clear cut. And he was not as universally popular as you state, though perhaps among college students. I was 11. But remember, the voting age was 21, so most couldn't vote

Reactions: redking
Not that clear cut. And he was not as universally popular as you state, though perhaps among college students. I was 11. But remember, the voting age was 21, so most couldn't vote
Beg to disagree. He was very, very popular & the spirit in the country extremely upbeat. Hasn't been anywhere like that since.

Beg to disagree. He was very, very popular & the spirit in the country extremely upbeat. Hasn't been anywhere like that since.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Particularly on a '64 landslide.

JFK was like a "far right conservative" by today's Dems/media.
JFK and RFK were both anti-communist with professional and personal ties to Joe McCarthy
RFK moved away from McCarthy's tactics but not the mission
RFK wanted Roy Cohn's job

To follow up JFK's popularity during his presidency according to Gallop was 70%.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT