ADVERTISEMENT

2008- Chris Paul Etienne Should Be QB

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
The poll results will not display, but during the 2008 early season slide, people were clamoring for Chris Paul Etienne to replace Teel.

What was Schiano's problem sticking with a Don Bosco QB for so long?

Etienne transferred out to Rhode Island for the 2009 season.

CPE for QB

Nice find. If we made a list of every backup QB that Rutgers fans have wanted in place of the starter, it would be laughable. Lucas, McMahon, Hart, Teel, Savage, and Nova have all not only had their jobs called for, but have also been boo'ed aggressively. Hopefully that changes some day soon.

Nots sure why you need multiple threads on this but I will say one thing about our staff past and current. They played our best players. That much is clear. Anyone who disagrees or argues that just likes to be a naysayer.

Teel and Nova were by far the best QB's while here. That was proven.

There have been a few guys who developed further at the next level but it's not like they sat the bench here. So the best players played. That will continue. Fans complaining about our Coach and QB will also continue. Trust me on that.

Originally posted by Yeah Baby:
Nots sure why you need multiple threads on this but I will say one thing about our staff past and current. They played our best players. That much is clear. Anyone who disagrees or argues that just likes to be a naysayer.

There have been a few guys who developed further at the next level but it's not like they sat the bench here. So the best players played. That will continue. Fans complaining about our Coach and QB will also continue. Trust me on that.I'm done with historical threads for today. It was fun looking back 7 or 8 years ago to see what the mindset of this board was. Just wanted some perspective. Thought the these threads would get us onto some football discussions?

What was surprising with this thread was I thought Greg was remembered as a guy who changed QBs too frequently, and Flood was blamed as being too loyal to Nova. At least in 2008, Greg stuck with Teel.

Teel finished the year 61.4%, 3418 yds, 25 TDs, and 13 Ints. Yeah, a backup would have put up those #s lol.

As they say, the most popular player on any team is the back up QB.

I can honestly remember calling for Robert Higgins to replace Ray Lucas back in the day.
It's what fans do when a quarterback of your team throws too many balls to the guys on the other team.

Originally posted by Kbee3:
I can honestly remember calling for Robert Higgins to replace Ray Lucas back in the day.
It's what fans do when a quarterback of your team throws too many balls to the guys on the other team.
Higgins played well, when he played. I was a big fan.

Amazing find. Don't recall many calling for Chad Schwenk over Mike M. I do remember Ted Trump over Cubit ( yikes.)

There have been a few guys who developed further at the next level but it's not like they sat the bench here. So the best players played. That will continue. Fans complaining about our Coach and QB will also continue. Trust me on that.
Dodd was better than Nova at times.

Originally posted by cyrock3:

Dodd was better than Nova at times.
Dodd was better than Nova at MOST times.

Fixed it.

Hart was better than Teel in 05 as well.

Mostly we've been so thin at QB there has only been 1 guy who even qualified as a legitimate threat to throw a forward pass so it hasn't been much of an issue.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I dont know what you are trying to accomplish by bringing back archives of threads but if you intend to prove that:

1) There are the usual people who complain on this board and cry all the time.
2) There have been QB controversies in the past.
3) This board is irrational during games and especially after losses.

Everyone already knows this.

You are decreasing the quality of the forum by brining the crap back. The replies will only be more arguing about who was right and who was wrong.

Please stop!

Complete stupidity CEROO...Chase had many games where it was proven he was not better...If Nova had a guy like Fridge from year 1 we would not be having this banter...I loved Chase Dodd and met him several times in the off season in and around Edison ...Chase had an instinctual understanding of football...had flair for pulling off a play but his size hurt him in the long run...As with Nova ...if our line couldn't block the opposition then we could have had a Brady or Manning back there and it wouldn't have mattered.

Sorry you don't like my posts, Jay. Why don't you start a post instead of crapping on others? I had no intent to start trouble. Other posters were complaining about lack of football threads. Some folks are just insufferable. I'll post another OT thread so someone else can complain.

Originally posted by Knight Shift:
I had no intent to start trouble.
except, you did.

Posting football threads doesn't have to mean bumping threads from 7 years ago.

This post was edited on 3/14 1:16 PM by jay_hq

In your opinion Jay. Are you board police? I have no problem with you. Thought some of the historical posts were interesting. Others seem to agree. Have a nice day.

In your opinion Jay. Are you board police? I have no problem with you. Thought some of the historical posts were interesting. Others seem to agree. Have a nice day.
Dont have any problems with you either. You dont have a history of staring anything and actively post good stuff.

You may not intend to start anything but posting really old treads is a slippery slope and I cant see it end well. Just my opinion I guess.

I'll stay out of them then. Didnt mean to personally offend you.

Its been a very long time but I don't remember ever anyone calling for McMahons back up. Especially when Mike was the entire offense

I don't remember anyone calling for McMahon's back - up either. But he did have a decent juco back-up named Brendan Edmonds one year. He helped bring us back in a Pitt game when McMahon got hurt. We lost in OT but it was a great game. Does anyone remember the campaigns for Terrence Shawell?

Originally posted by jay_hq:

You are decreasing the quality of the forum by brining the crap back. The replies will only be more arguing about who was right and who was wrong.

Please stop!
Hey, it's the BOARD POLICE!!!

I had no intent to start trouble.
except, you did.

Posting football threads doesn't have to mean bumping threads from 7 years ago.

This post was edited on 3/14 1:16 PM by jay_hq
While I am not against the OT on the Free Board. I find what Knift Shift did here a heckava lot more interesting than most of the OT's on here.

How the hell is anyone not finding these threads by KS a wonderful look back? I could read those all day long. I honestly feel it is like finding and old stack of photos or an old yearbook. I seriously can't believe anyone has a problem with these and I only hope KS shares more with us

I think the last 6 games of the 2008 season was the best 6-game span I've ever seen a Rutgers QB have and that's a testament to Teel and the offense at the time. I also think that after the PSU game Nova had a very good senior year and his play made the difference against Michigan. That being said, if anyone truly thinks that in 2005 Teel was better than Hart (that year) or that Dodd shouldn't have played in the RA Bowl or when he did in 2013, then someone is slipping acid or K2/ Spice into your food/drinks.

Joe P.

I also generally think that our staffs have played the best players, but certain things do gnaw at me...what if Leonte Carroo played some WR vs Louisville in 2012? What if Schiano had played Andres Morales more at FB in 2007?

Joe P.

Originally posted by JoeRU0304:
I think the last 6 games of the 2008 season was the best 6-game span I've ever seen a Rutgers QB have and that's a testament to Teel and the offense at the time. I also think that after the PSU game Nova had a very good senior year and his play made the difference against Michigan. That being said, if anyone truly thinks that in 2005 Teel was better than Hart (that year) or that Dodd shouldn't have played in the RA Bowl or when he did in 2013, then someone is slipping acid or K2/ Spice into your food/drinks.

Joe P.
Did you see Dodd play against ND?

Yes; he was still IMO our best option at the time. After the SMU game Nova was a complete mess and after Carroo went down forget about it. Dodd at least tried to make it work with what we had.

Joe P.

Originally posted by JoeRU0304:
Yes; he was still IMO our best option at the time. After the SMU game Nova was a complete mess and after Carroo went down forget about it. Dodd at least tried to make it work with what we had.

Joe P.
Dodd was also a complete mess. You don't finish the year with a 1:2 TD/Int ratio by being awesome.

Nova should have sat, and should have sat earlier IMO, but we simply had nobody to back him up.

Dodd's "trying to make it work with what we had" meant that he played poorly against a bad UConn team, mediocre against USF and poorly against ND.

We went 1-2 when nearly anyone with a pulse would have gotten 2 wins. Uconn and USF were 2 of the worst teams we faced that season.

(I know, "moxie", "warrior", "2010", etc. etc.)

I still think Dodd was the best option we had at the end of 2013. That doesn't mean he was playing lights-out; it just means his head was in a better place than Nova's at the time (IMO). I know he didn't come in and light it up, but I think some people forget about the UL, Houston and Cincy games (not even counting UCF). We didn't exactly light it up vs Temple either.

Joe P.

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:

Please stop!
Hey, it's the BOARD POLICE!!!
+1 I can't stand when people find it necessary on a freaking message board to tell others to stop. How silly.

Like I said you guys will never stop blaming the Head Coach and the better QB. It's ok be.cause most fans do this. Have fun.

Teel and Nova were our best options. No doubt.
This post was edited on 3/15 10:32 AM by Yeah Baby

Pulling up old threads is interesting but it can lead to some embarrassment for those that made the wrong call and could lead to paybacks. Did Knight Shift predict Savon Huggins stardom? Me, I don't take this board too seriously but some do.

In 2008 the team started 1-5 with its only win against Morgan St. Teel was a 5th year senior but in the first 6 games he completied about 55% of his passes and had thrown 3 touchdowns and 7 ints. It was not unreasonable to ask for a change during the first six games. Even in game 7 Teel was not good or bad but we lucked out with bad FG kicking by UConn. Teel played as well as any qb at RU the last 6 games so he did salvage the season but we probably go 11-1 if he played that way all year.

I was good with putting in Dodd in 2013 as Nova was really playing poorly. UConn he was not good but the equipment manager gets some blame as the team was slip sliding on the frozen turf. USF he was great. ND not good, I would have subbed in Nova at some point. ND was a winnable game and it would have been huge to beat them for perception and to have a winning record for the season.

Pils- excellent post and great summary/ synopsis of the discussion. I still think the old posts are great food for thought at a time like this (offseason).

Joe P.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT