ADVERTISEMENT

34-14 ?

Kbee3

Hall of Famer
Aug 23, 2002
They shot threes way better than RU did. Some would say wide open threes.
So why were they given 20 more attempts from the free throw line than the visiting team ?
They were in the bonus in the second half with 11 1/2 minutes left and a double digit lead. I thought RU had no chance to make a comeback. But they did. Just couldn't close the deal. And Iowa made some big threes down the stretch.
But since they were shooting threes so much more frequently than RU, how were they able to get so many more trips to the line for free throws ?

So why were they given 20 more attempts from the free throw line than the visiting team ?
They were in the bonus in the second half with 11 1/2 minutes left and a double digit lead. I thought RU had no chance to make a comeback. But they did. Just couldn't close the deal. And Iowa made some big threes down the stretch.
But since they were shooting threes so much more frequently than RU, how were they able to get so many more trips to the line for free throws ?
Because they were at home

Before the game they said Iowa has made 58 more free throws than their opponents. It’s the Fran whine strategy, works great for them. Won them the Big Ten last year. 20 more free throws today and beat us. To those who say coaches should not complain to the refs.

Primarily because they are so active in their offense, and we just can’t keep up, and it leads to reach in fouls etc. Yes the refs sucked in the 2nd half, but we didn’t lose this game because of the refs.

We lost this game because we simply couldn’t keep up with Iowa’s offense, ESPECIALLY in transition. Iowa was beating us down the floor repeatedly, even after we made a FG. Inexcusable.

Primarily because they are so active in their offense, and we just can’t keep up, and it leads to reach in fouls etc. Yes the refs sucked in the 2nd half, but we didn’t lose this game because of the refs.

We lost this game because we simply couldn’t keep up with Iowa’s offense, ESPECIALLY in transition. Iowa was beating us down the floor repeatedly, even after we made a FG. Inexcusable.
Disagree. Active passing perhaps, but Iowa does not drive to the basket where the bulk of fouls are called.

Refs were bad. They get continuation, we don't, we lost two points. Murray spins, hops, shoots and scores refs smile, Mulcahy spins hops shoots and scores they call a walk, we lost two points. Ridiculous offensive foul on Mulcahy loses us a possession. Mag fouls, they miss it, player travels they miss it, Mulcahy nearby so call a foul on him, refs 0 for 3 in 5 seconds. Reiber phantom foul a joke. Murray is real good but seems to get the star treatment from the refs.

Iowa is good and runs a great offense, I wish we could pick like they do. Some mentioned they were moving but if so it was minor and I don't think any were called so they are well coached. We should watch the video of the game and learn to pick.

We had 18 turnovers and allowed them enough good looks at 3's to go 12/24 from 3.
Blaming the refs is sour grapes.

Reactions: RU Mike73
We had 18 turnovers and allowed them enough good looks at 3's to go 12/24 from 3.
It looked like we intentionally decided to not defend the 3 pt line. I've seen this happen occasionally due to mixups on defense in prior games but this was something else. That and Iowa played waaay better defense the entire game.

Reactions: 1coastalknight
Disagree. Active passing perhaps, but Iowa does not drive to the basket where the bulk of fouls are called.

we were stopping their initial shot and then fouling on the rebound

we did well rebounding early but then they crashed the board at key moment and burned us

Reactions: Rutgers36
Fran got into the refs early, when they were down 4-0. He's been a fixture in this league for decades and has clout, as does Izzo. Pulled is working his way into that space, and when he did get angry it changed the ref behavior.

I think we'll see more of it coming from him now that he's becoming better known and respected

We fouled more

Reactions: MiloTalon13
It looked like we intentionally decided to not defend the 3 pt line. I've seen this happen occasionally due to mixups on defense in prior games but this was something else. That and Iowa played waaay better defense the entire game.
Exactly - part it was Cliff had to defend shooters and didn't make much effort to do it. Rebracha's foul trouble helped Iowa more than it hurt them because it forced us into bad matchups with Cliff on the floor.

Iowa kept Cam from getting looks at 3's. Do that, and make 12 3's and you probably beat us.

Mag fouls, they miss it, player travels they miss it, Mulcahy nearby so call a foul on him, refs 0 for 3 in 5 seconds.
That was easily the worst five seconds of officiating in the game. Almost like the ref may have realized late that Mag fouled Iowa, so rather than call the travel, let's just call a foul on the nearest Knight when he blew the whistle. Laughably bad.

You didn't mention Paul getting clipped by Ulis while inbounding the ball at the end of the first half. I thought that was a technical foul if you make contact with the inbounder. Very inconsistent officiating on screens too, with some quick whistles on Iowa and other moving picks called fouls on us when Caleb and Mag were trying to fight through then.

Oh well. Beat Minnesota!

Before the game the lead ref sits down with the other two refs and basically tells them how he wants the game officiated. He could say let them bang, call it close or These guys are overly aggressive so call it close on them. Today Rutgers did not help themselves with 18 turnovers. The main problem was in every sequence there are multiple fouls and ideally only the blatant ones should be called. It worked that way for Iowa but not Rutgers. Whatever the lead ref told them in the locker room was skewed against Rutgers. A 35 to 14 foul shot differential is an obvious failure or the crew to properly administer the game. This is OSU the SECOND. Believe me Fran is on a crying par with Jimmy Boeheim. Second game the refs screwed us over. Just my opinion.

That was easily the worst five seconds of officiating in the game. Almost like the ref may have realized late that Mag fouled Iowa, so rather than call the travel, let's just call a foul on the nearest Knight when he blew the whistle. Laughably bad.

You didn't mention Paul getting clipped by Ulis while inbounding the ball at the end of the first half. I thought that was a technical foul if you make contact with the inbounder. Very inconsistent officiating on screens too, with some quick whistles on Iowa and other moving picks called fouls on us when Caleb and Mag were trying to fight through then.

Oh well. Beat Minnesota!
To me that Mulcahy call was a classic indication how weak the refs were and how easily they were influenced by a moaning coach and crowd.

Reactions: Loyal-Son and Kbee3
play aggressive defense against us and we get exposed...
we need ace, gavin, dellquan

I dont like it when our offense starts with McConnell. Our PG is Paul and he has the highest offensive IQ on the team so our offense needs to run through him.

Reactions: robjknight

The refs sucked in the first half also. If the game had been called fairly by the refs, I really like our chances to win it.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
15:52 Score RU 8-2 Fouls RU 1-4
Cliff
10:22 Score RU 16-15(8-13) Fouls RU 4-4(3-0)
2 Woolf, Derek
5:59 Score RU 25-27(9-12) Fouls RU 5-5(1-1)
Caleb
3:32 Score RU 32-34(7-7) Fouls RU 7-7(2-2)
Hyatt, Reiber
0:00 Score RU 34-45(2-11) Fouls RU 8-7(1-0)
Reiber

2nd half
15:26 Score RU 42-51(8-6) Fouls RU 12-9(4-2)
11:22 Score RU 53-61(11-10) Fouls RU 16-10(8-3)
3 Caleb(4th), 2 Reiber(4th), 2 Mag, 1 Paul
8:26 Score RU 66-68(13-7) Fouls RU 17-10(9-3)
Hyatt
4:14 Score RU 71-80(5-12) Fouls RU 20-11(12-5)
Paul("offensive foul"), Cam, Cliff

Iowa fouled only 7 times in about 32 minutes of game clock to our 19 fouls after the first 4 minutes, finished 25-14.

FTs RU 4-6 1st 6-8 2nd
Iowa 9-10 1st 20-24 2nd

Murray 8-16, 1-4 FT 7-9
Ulis 5-9, 2-4 FT 4-5
Perkins 2-9, 1-1 FT 6-7
Rebraca 1-3, 0-0 FT 5-6
Sandfort 1-6, 1-3 FT 4-4
Total 17-43 39.5%, 2pt 12-31 38.7%, 3pt 5-12, FTs 26-31(16-21, 32 min span)
C. McCaffery had the other 3 FTs.

We were defending these guys well but were bailed out constantly with foul calls on shots or in the bonus in that 32 minute span. Uphill battle. All 5 hit 2 FTs in the last 4 minutes.

We got outplayed at home, this had a much different feel to the loss.

Caleb has fouled out 4 times(Nebraska, Houston, Purdue, Iowa) and 20 games(4 vs Iowa, 3 Ohio St, 2 Penn St) with 4 fouls in 130 career

29 PFs in 9 games(3.2) vs Iowa, 2nd, 20 PFs vs Nebraska in 7 games
Indiana 18 in 8(2.25), Maryland 14 in 7(2), NW 12 in 7(1.7), OSU 17 in 7(2.4), PSU 17 in 8(2.1)
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Last edited:
play aggressive defense against us and we get exposed...
we need ace, gavin, dellquan

I dont like it when our offense starts with McConnell. Our PG is Paul and he has the highest offensive IQ on the team so our offense needs to run through him.
We clearly made an effort to allow McConnell to bring the ball up. Especially the first half, I was wondering why?

We clearly made an effort to allow McConnell to bring the ball up. Especially the first half, I was wondering why?
Probably because they were pressing a lot and Caleb’s a little more dependable when it comes straight up ball handling when pressured / double teamed. Neither are great though - we definitely miss Geo in this area.

Yeah....we had 18 turnovers...most of them stupid and unforced.
And yes...they had too many good looks from three.
And we still could have won that damn game....unless it became a free throw shooting contest.
I don't know if it was the home crowd, the whining Iowa head coach, or the "home team advantage" that refs seem to give to most league members. But you can't watch that game and think that Rutgers' play warranted more than twice as many trips to the free throw line. And the home team being in the bonus with 11 and 1/2 minutes left in the game.
34-14 is ridiculous.

Yeah....we had 18 turnovers...most of them stupid and unforced.
And yes...they had too many good looks from three.
And we still could have won that damn game....unless it became a free throw shooting contest.
I don't know if it was the home crowd, the whining Iowa head coach, or the "home team advantage" that refs seem to give to most league members. But you can't watch that game and think that Rutgers' play warranted more than twice as many trips to the free throw line. And the home team being in the bonus with 11 and 1/2 minutes left in the game.
34-14 is ridiculous.
And magically when iowa loses in the ncaa tournament they don’t have a free throw advantage. Hmmmm

15:52 Score RU 8-2 Fouls RU 1-4
Cliff
10:22 Score RU 16-15(8-13) Fouls RU 4-4(3-0)
2 Woolf, Derek
5:59 Score RU 25-27(9-12) Fouls RU 5-5(1-1)
Caleb
3:32 Score RU 32-34(7-7) Fouls RU 7-7(2-2)
Hyatt, Reiber
0:00 Score RU 34-45(2-11) Fouls RU 8-7(1-0)
Reiber

2nd half
15:26 Score RU 42-51(8-6) Fouls RU 12-9(4-2)
11:22 Score RU 53-61(11-10) Fouls RU 16-10(8-3)
3 Caleb(4th), 2 Reiber(4th), 2 Mag, 1 Paul
8:26 Score RU 66-68(13-7) Fouls RU 17-10(9-3)
Hyatt
4:14 Score RU 71-80(5-12) Fouls RU 20-11(12-5)
Paul("offensive foul"), Cam, Cliff

Iowa fouled only 7 times in about 32 minutes of game clock to our 19 fouls after the first 4 minutes, finished 25-14.

FTs RU 4-6 1st 6-8 2nd
Iowa 9-10 1st 20-24 2nd

Murray 8-16, 1-4 FT 7-9
Ulis 5-9, 2-4 FT 4-5
Perkins 2-9, 1-1 FT 6-7
Rebraca 1-3, 0-0 FT 5-6
Sandfort 1-6, 1-3 FT 4-4
Total 17-43 39.5%, 2pt 12-31 38.7%, 3pt 5-12, FTs 26-31(16-21, 32 min span)
C. McCaffery had the other 3 FTs.

We were defending these guys well but were bailed out constantly with foul calls on shots or in the bonus in that 32 minute span. Uphill battle. All 5 hit 2 FTs in the last 4 minutes.

We got outplayed at home, this had a much different feel to the loss.

Caleb has fouled out 4 times(Nebraska, Houston, Purdue, Iowa) and 20 games(4 vs Iowa, 3 Ohio St, 2 Penn St) with 4 fouls in 130 career

29 PFs in 9 games(3.2) vs Iowa, 2nd, 20 PFs vs Nebraska in 7 games
Indiana 18 in 8(2.25), Maryland 14 in 7(2), NW 12 in 7(1.7), OSU 17 in 7(2.4), PSU 17 in 8(2.1)
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
It’s actually 6 one of the fouls was the technical foul on Rebreca

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
This year, in games where Iowa had a +7 FTA differential or greater, they are 11-1 (the sole loss was to Eastern Illinois, where they shot 7/33 from the arc). In games where the differential was +6 or lower, they are 3-7.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT