ADVERTISEMENT

5 Keys to Beating Wisconsin !!

Gavin playing within himself as he has so far this year.
Sure sounds like a winning game plan to me.

I know UW is not exactly Playoff bound this year but this would be a program-defining win. Traditional good to sometimes great program, hostile environment, and would absolutely send a message. Beating MSU at home…would be fine but we’ve been there/done that.

🫣

7. Pooch kick NOTHING. Put it through the freak'n end zone. Don't shorten the field. Makem work for every yard they get
Agree HOWEVER…. Greg specifically talked about how good their special teams are, top to bottom, and his press conference on Monday. So I have a feeling we may very well be seeing “pooch kicks” if there is any kind of wind whatsoever blowing into the kicker’s face.

Agree HOWEVER…. Greg specifically talked about how good their special teams are, top to bottom, and his press conference on Monday. So I have a feeling we may very well be seeing “pooch kicks” if there is any kind of wind whatsoever blowing into the kicker’s face.
I know it's Greg's style, but I would rather kick it to the end zone or 5 yard line vs the 30. Even on pooch kicks seems like we don't get to them to force the fair catch anyway.

I know it's Greg's style, but I would rather kick it to the end zone or 5 yard line vs the 30. Even on pooch kicks seems like we don't get to them to force the fair catch anyway.

Exactly.
This is the same backwards logic as the "Our defense is good. We need play conservative offense to protect the defense."

If our ST is as good as HC Schiano believes - then force them to make an amazing play from the end one.
If they beat you then they beat you.

How likely are they to make an amazing play from 5 yards deep in the endzone.
This overly risk-adverse style to even highly unlikely things is a major ceiling.

Don't let their QB extend drives with his feet. This absolutely killed us against Michigan. Michigan needed their QB to run in order to move the ball against us.

If he only gets 1 1st down with his feet, I think we have a solid chance at a win as long as we don't turn the ball over in bad spots (not all turnovers are equal).

Reactions: zebnatto
Also, Rutgers needs to take timely shots at the CB of Wisconsin. They are the weak link on defense for the Badgers. They have been referred to as the "Toast Brothers."
If this is the case then I sure as hell hope we look either at:

1) Jackson down the sidelines deep early and/or
2) Washington up the seem
3) Stroud to the corners of the End Zone inside the 30

Somewhat tangential, but I’m waiting for a glimpse into GS 1.0 special teams play. Punt and/FG block. That’s been missing from the 2.0 version.

<insert doug marrone gif here>

Reactions: DontGetAngry
Just lurking and checking in. We still don't know really what we have at UW. The defense was really elite under the previous regime and it no longer is. That's the red flag for us fans - it's a scheme change and maybe the personnel haven't quite adjusted, or maybe the talent is just not what it was. I see RU being able to score. It's just whether UW can score more.

I did see a mention about a key for RU being to limit QB runs - with our co-#1 RB out for the season, I expect UW will try to use the QB runs more when not passing. He's pretty good at it, unlike UW QBs post-Russell Wilson. There's a chasm of talent down to our #3 RB.

Somewhat tangential, but I’m waiting for a glimpse into GS 1.0 special teams play. Punt and/FG block. That’s been missing from the 2.0 version.

<insert doug marrone gif here>
We're getting closer and closer. Didn't really try to punt block last week, think we tipped one FG, BUT it's about time for a "block-6" from this crew!!!

Just lurking and checking in. We still don't know really what we have at UW. The defense was really elite under the previous regime and it no longer is. That's the red flag for us fans - it's a scheme change and maybe the personnel haven't quite adjusted, or maybe the talent is just not what it was. I see RU being able to score. It's just whether UW can score more.

I did see a mention about a key for RU being to limit QB runs - with our co-#1 RB out for the season, I expect UW will try to use the QB runs more when not passing. He's pretty good at it, unlike UW QBs post-Russell Wilson. There's a chasm of talent down to our #3 RB.
Thanks for stopping by. We think we have a chance because we’ve significantly improved our line play. Looking forward to a great game.

Since you in Spartyland (assuming MSU area), I had a nice long chat with a knowledgeable alum of the other Michigan school UofM at the Duluth Trading Company headquarters store. He was at the RU v. UM game, and he came away quite impressed with RU, and he has been unimpressed with UW so far this season. As our discussion progressed, we both agreed that it is still a little early to draw any conclusions on any teams, as most of our teams have had only one B1G game.

RU has not done well with running QBs, and maybe that's not 100% fair, but VT's Drones got 74 yards on us, and McCarthy from UM got 51 yards on us. Hopefully, our defense has learned its lesson.

Back to the Duluth dude, he thought it was going to be close game, and he wasn't just being nice to the guy wearing the Block R.

Reactions: rutgersal
Al- you are getting really good at this- aways appreciated. Hopefully, it will also give some of our fans a better idea of who the real RutgersAl is...

Since you in Spartyland (assuming MSU area), I had a nice long chat with a knowledgeable alum of the other Michigan school UofM at the Duluth Trading Company headquarters store. He was at the RU v. UM game, and he came away quite impressed with RU, and he has been unimpressed with UW so far this season. As our discussion progressed, we both agreed that it is still a little early to draw any conclusions on any teams, as most of our teams have had only one B1G game.

RU has not done well with running QBs, and maybe that's not 100% fair, but VT's Drones got 74 yards on us, and McCarthy from UM got 51 yards on us. Hopefully, our defense has learned its lesson.

Back to the Duluth dude, he thought it was going to be close game, and he wasn't just being nice to the guy wearing the Block R.
I lived by MSU for a decade when I first registered my username, but haven’t been there for almost 20 years. Now in the Twin Cities.

Yeah, I think even Badger fans are unimpressed with UW so far, but the one loss at Wazzu is looking less and less bad with what they’ve been doing. As you said, hard to say really where they’re really at. The B1G west is just horrible, so UW still might be the favorite (or least bad) of that collection.

A lot of fans are picking us to win. Hope they're right. A lot of things have to go R way. Can we avoid costly TOs while forcing Wisconsin into committing some? Remains to be seen.

I know UW is not exactly Playoff bound this year but this would be a program-defining win. Traditional good to sometimes great program, hostile environment, and would absolutely send a message. Beating MSU at home…would be fine but we’ve been there/done that.

🫣
I agree . Let’s win

7. Pooch kick NOTHING. Put it through the freak'n end zone. Don't shorten the field. Makem work for every yard they get
Speaking of special teams. Enough with the Windmill Willie shit on punts. Set up a return and unleash all of this speed you've been recruiting. Or sell out and try to block some kicks.

Curious to see what we do with our safeties. I want to see some single high safety to snuff out the QB run. Hoping we don't see a ton of prevent with 2 deep safeties. I will say that I think we've seen 11 defenders in the TV screen more this year than we have in a long time (within 10-11 yards of the LOS).

TRUE running QB's have ALWAYS done well against Greg.....HOWEVER.....

....Tanner Mordecai has rushed for a TOTAL of 104 yards on the season (2.9 YPC). He rushed for 118 (2.2 ypc) last year. A whopping 202 (2.7 ypc) the prior season. Let's not call Tanner a "running QB" just yet lol! (GW is currently @ 187 yards, 4.7 YPC and 4 TD's, on the other hand).

Reactions: Knight Shift
Videos getting better Al. Need some intro music to get the full production quality of RutgersAl studios. Didn’t seem like the ring lights were working this time. Looking forward to the next one for Michigan St.

TRUE running QB's have ALWAYS done well against Greg.....HOWEVER.....

....Tanner Mordecai has rushed for a TOTAL of 104 yards on the season (2.9 YPC). He rushed for 118 (2.2 ypc) last year. A whopping 202 (2.7 ypc) the prior season. Let's not call Tanner a "running QB" just yet lol! (GW is currently @ 187 yards, 4.7 YPC and 4 TD's, on the other hand).
Couple of things about Mordecai. He does have 4 rushing TDs and there have been multiple designed QB runs in each of the 4 games. I saw that 103 net yardage includes 44 yards of losses, so I suspect those might be sacks. An intentional UW QB run is very different from the past. And, again, with Mellusi out for the year, he is now the second best option for running. He may not be a true dual threat like your guy, but it’s part of the new offense.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
The game will be decided at the LOS as usual. Hopefully RU can stand up. It should not be difficult to see, Let’s go RU!

Also, Rutgers needs to take timely shots at the CB of Wisconsin. They are the weak link on defense for the Badgers. They have been referred to as the "Toast Brothers."

Match-ups are a better key than the usual "no turnovers, run to pass, pressure passer" etc.
Sometimes good teams lose to bad teams because a few match-ups are all wrong and not the teams overall

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
This upset would be a good first step to getting College Gameday to P-Way.

All they would have to do is handle Mich St and @ Indiana next.

Undefeated Ohio St @ 7-1 Rutgers, Nov 4.

It would be kind of cool to see, even though probably not happening.

This upset would be a good first step to getting College Gameday to P-Way.

All they would have to do is handle Mich St and @ Indiana next.

Undefeated Ohio St @ 7-1 Rutgers, Nov 4.

It would be kind of cool to see, even though probably not happening.
If that happened, we would most likely be ranked around 20

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
If that happened, we would most likely be ranked around 20
It's the closest shot we've had to it since 2006, and even then the schedule didn't fall our way with weak Big East opponents at home into home vs Louisville on Thursday night, and the last good opponents after that win were both on the road.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT