ADVERTISEMENT

5 players in the portal - Richie from the pod

So let me get this straight. One player in 7 years not gaining enough weight in 1 year means you fire the S&C Coach?

It's the Silly Season.
I'm not sure we've ever really gotten stronger though, outside naturally maturity. EO grew. RHJ got in shape for the NBA. We seem to focus on keeping guys lean. I'm having a hard time thinking of someone who was completely different physically from the the time they got here to the time they left.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Simpson was higher rated slightly but its essentially a wash. Neither was rated high

The difference is Davis was a true freshman. Most players will see improvement after a year of experience and S&C

If Davis regresses and shoots worse next season, he will get plenty of criticism on the boards
I agree in theory, although Davis was ranked higher wherever I looked, but yeah it was similar, 87 88 89, that range.
Since he was a freshman, I don't put negatives on his game, it was experience he probably shouldn't have been getting.

Mag is not an elite defensive player, he's solid but not all B1G, 1st, 2nd or 3rd team. You're referring to him as elite is like saying he's Cliff or Caleb McConnell, he is good, not elite. Stop throwing around elite like it's some sort of validation, it's not close to reality. There's a large segment of college basketball fans that should
or need to watch more than RU games or even B1G games.

RU went with a youth movement in a transition year, counting on some younger players stepping up and had Mags replacement already recruited in Baye Ngongo. It was unfortunate that Ndongo decommitted, but thus is life in higher level recruiting, when the goal is to actually win as many games as possible. Anyone still arguing that Ndongo would not have played or started over Mag, simply doesn't watch CBB.

Fans who follow RU sports, are conditioned to losing or being average, and are always loyal to nice stories, good kids and players who don't produce on a consistent level or a level that wins games. There's nothing wrong with supporting Mag as we should any RU player, but the exaggeration levels is where I have to stop the silliness from continuing
Perfectly said. Very good defender. Not elite. Disruptive. Below average offensive player. Always was, always will be. Let him go and upgrade.

Different teams, different playing time, and J Mike was a higher rated prospect. JMikes player efficiency rating and efg% were lower than DS freshman year.
Really isn't a question of which is better player, it's can the roster have three guys (JWill) w similar non shooting games.
Quick answer is No, we need upgraded shooting. We can not have JMike and Derek on the floor at the same time next season. I am hoping the portal brings us upgrades, thinking maybe Derek leaves in the portal so I am under the assumption the portal will assist us in not having to watch both of them brick shots while playing together next year. JWill is not a great outside shooter but brings other positives to at least counter that. Let’s see how we do portaling this year as I hope and think we will have a lot of different names next season with the incoming freshman and possible new transfers. We have the 5 freshman coming in, returning I am only going to assume JWill, JMike, and Gavin return……..after that who knows what these guys are doing……a bunch may enter the portal, some may get the talk, who knows…….Pike could bring in anywhere from as little as 2 to as many as 4 players in through the transfer portal.
I think you will see a vastly different approach this season to the portal from RU. I don’t see them waiting around and being passive this offseason. I don’t think they’ll wait on guys, I don’t think they’ll assume players are returning. I think if a good player has interest, if they can get the player to transfer then they are taking him. I don’t think Simpson or Mag or waiting on Cliff is going to stop them. I also think it’s likely a bunch of players from this year’s roster jump in the portal right away so Pike’s job will be a little easier as to how to approach it this offseason. I am guessing 4-6 players could enter the portal from the current roster. We need upgraded shooting and scoring and this current roster offers very little of that, so I welcome what the portal can bring next season. Hit the portal early and hit the portal hard should be the philosophy this offseason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
I'm not sure we've ever really gotten stronger though, outside naturally maturity. EO grew. RHJ got in shape for the NBA. We seem to focus on keeping guys lean. I'm having a hard time thinking of someone who was completely different physically from the the time they got here to the time they left.
Are you looking for bulky muscle guys? This is basketball in the 2020's. Don't expect Karl Malone's.

Long and lean muscle is what you want and you can't look at a guy to try and tell if he os stronger. Just think back to freshmen Geo, McConnell, Mulcahy, Omoruyi, Mag, Oskar, etc and tell me guys are not being developed over 4 years. Clearly stronger as well.

This entire thing is just over 1 guy, Simpson, who has not gained weight in his 1 off season. Pointing out 1 or 2 guys is silly.

Last edited:
I agree in theory, although Davis was ranked higher wherever I looked, but yeah it was similar, 87 88 89, that range.
Since he was a freshman, I don't put negatives on his game, it was experience he probably shouldn't have been getting.
Simpson was higher rated on Rivals. 44th best, PG Davis not ranked. Davis not ranked on ESPN either

Simpson 84.53 on3 industry composite

Davis 84.33 on3 industry composite

Simpson was higher rated on Rivals. 44th best, PG Davis not ranked. Davis not ranked on ESPN either

Simpson 84.53 on3 industry composite

Davis 84.33 on3 industry composite
Haha, they were basically the same, no one cares about ESPN ranks. Both three stars on Rivals, national rank doesn't matter, it was different years.

Davis higher on 247 87 to 86, Simpson on composite .8696 vs .8628

Simpson banked two balls in that should have been misses. If you factor that in, he was really only at 26.4% from 3, which is not good.

Fair point but then you have to factor in the situation for every shot. For instance how many were good shots that went in and our or how many were missed because of end of shot clock heaves because the team fumbled around in the mid court set?

Haha, they were basically the same, no one cares about ESPN ranks. Both three stars on Rivals, national rank doesn't matter, it was different years.

Davis higher on 247 87 to 86, Simpson on composite .8696 vs .8628
You said Simpson was higher. Composite on on3 and 247 both say Simpson was. I was the one who said they were basically the same in the first place lol

You said Simpson was higher. Composite on on3 and 247 both say Simpson was. I was the one who said they were basically the same in the first place lol
I had only looked at 247 who had him higher, have never seen on3, have no idea what it would say. But, yeah, they were basically the same overall, you are right

So let me get this straight. One player in 7 years not gaining enough weight in 1 year means you fire the S&C Coach?

It's the Silly Season.
There is so much bullshyt going around about coaches and players it's more than idiotic-- it's fantasy world.

Reactions: RUbbFannn
I'm not going to go back for the numbers, but its not true we give up 8 less, at least when comparing games against P5 teams.
Obviously all these numbers are small samples, there are other moving parts, etc. (I also haven't looked before making the post, so let's see what they say!)

J. Williams debuted on 2/3 against Michigan.

Stats comparison from season start through 2/2 vs 2/3 to today (before / after):

Record: 10-10 (2-7) => 5-7 (5-6)

Adj Off Eff: 97.3 (#311) => 100.0 (#275)
Adj Def Eff: 90.9 (#6) => 92.7 (#7)
Barthag (T-Rank's overall rating): .6867 (#103) => .7055 (#100)

Effective field goal %: 43.4 (#357) => 43.6 (#353)
Defense EFG%: 46.3 (#31) => 48.8 (#106)

Turnover rate: 17.1 (#161) => 15.7 (#134)
Defense TOR: 21.6 (#21) => 21.8 (#10)

Offensive rebound percentage: 31.6 (#97) => 27.8 (#190)
O REB% allowed: 31.3 (#267) => 31.5 (#296)

Free throw rate: 34.8 (#129) => 29.7 (#249)
Defense FTR: 31.5 (#152) => 39.3 (#301)

2P%: 43.8 (#349) => 43.5 (#344)
2P%D: 45.8 (#36) => 46.4 (#48)

3P%: 28.4 (#344) => 29.3 (#328)
3P%D: 31.4 (#50) => 35.1 (#217)

3-point rate: 33.1 (#281) => 29.1 (#332)
Defense 3PR: 39.6 (#262) => 39.2 (#235)

Adjusted Tempo: 69.1 (#157) => 68.3 (#135)

Wins above bubble: -2.4 (#102) => -1.0 (#90)

For raw stats do keep in mind that the before part includes non-conference cupcake games.

Obviously all these numbers are small samples, there are other moving parts, etc. (I also haven't looked before making the post, so let's see what they say!)

J. Williams debuted on 2/3 against Michigan.

Stats comparison from season start through 2/2 vs 2/3 to today (before / after):

Record: 10-10 (2-7) => 5-7 (5-6)

Adj Off Eff: 97.3 (#311) => 100.0 (#275)
Adj Def Eff: 90.9 (#6) => 92.7 (#7)
Barthag (T-Rank's overall rating): .6867 (#103) => .7055 (#100)

Effective field goal %: 43.4 (#357) => 43.6 (#353)
Defense EFG%: 46.3 (#31) => 48.8 (#106)

Turnover rate: 17.1 (#161) => 15.7 (#134)
Defense TOR: 21.6 (#21) => 21.8 (#10)

Offensive rebound percentage: 31.6 (#97) => 27.8 (#190)
O REB% allowed: 31.3 (#267) => 31.5 (#296)

Free throw rate: 34.8 (#129) => 29.7 (#249)
Defense FTR: 31.5 (#152) => 39.3 (#301)

2P%: 43.8 (#349) => 43.5 (#344)
2P%D: 45.8 (#36) => 46.4 (#48)

3P%: 28.4 (#344) => 29.3 (#328)
3P%D: 31.4 (#50) => 35.1 (#217)

3-point rate: 33.1 (#281) => 29.1 (#332)
Defense 3PR: 39.6 (#262) => 39.2 (#235)

Adjusted Tempo: 69.1 (#157) => 68.3 (#135)

Wins above bubble: -2.4 (#102) => -1.0 (#90)

For raw stats do keep in mind that the before part includes non-conference cupcake games.
Also notable is Mag stopped playing and the very end of the season the team wasn't playing for anything and wasn't the same

Reactions: RUDiddy777
so. solely mid major interest.

kid looks god against that comp. but seems the coaches know, so....
Saw a couple videos of him. Not playing very good talent. Kid would be a Reiber type player without his height. Seems to play out of control.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT