ADVERTISEMENT

A GREAT SIGN for the future

MikeRU1766

Junior
Mar 7, 2015
Houston University has the #6 and #48 ranked recruits IN THE COUNTRY committed to them for class of 2016. They are both from Houston,TX and guess what.... Houston IS NOT EVEN IN A POWER 5 CONFERENCE!

Now this is a great sign for Rutgers because we have A LOT more positives than Houston University does (nothing against Houston University at all) and so if Houston U. can keep top recruits home then that means it CAN BE DONE! Now all we need to do is send our coaches down to Houston for a clinic on what those coaches did and learn from them.

Because as well know, if we could just keep 50% of the top NJ recruits home then we would be competing for BIG10 and National Championships!!!

Houston University has the #6 and #48 ranked recruits IN THE COUNTRY committed to them for class of 2016. They are both from Houston,TX and guess what.... Houston IS NOT EVEN IN A POWER 5 CONFERENCE!

Now this is a great sign for Rutgers because we have A LOT more positives than Houston University does (nothing against Houston University at all) and so if Houston U. can keep top recruits home then that means it CAN BE DONE! Now all we need to do is send our coaches down to Houston for a clinic on what those coaches did and learn from them.

Because as well know, if we could just keep 50% of the top NJ recruits home then we would be competing for BIG10 and National Championships!!!
I don't follow. Kids from Houston are not leaving Texas to go play in NJ. Kids in
NJ would rather play anywhere but NJ. Where are the positives?

I'm saying that if elite recruits are willing to stay home for a non power 5 conference school, that has a much smaller media market, and has a stadium of 40,000 capacity..... then that is a great sign that IT CAN BE DONE.

It shows that even in this day and age, recruits do want to stay home.

Now if you want to debate NJ kids vs TX kids then feel free, I was just pointing out that if a school like Houston can keep elite talent home... then it would lead me to think that a school like Rutgers will DEFINITELY be able to as well.

I'm saying that if elite recruits are willing to stay home for a non power 5 conference school, that has a much smaller media market, and has a stadium of 40,000 capacity..... then that is a great sign that IT CAN BE DONE.
Do you really think recruits give a thought to media market size? Take a look at the current top 10 recruiting classes. Only one is located in a Top 10 media market.
#1 LSU
#2 Florida State
#3 Ohio State
#4 Michigan State
#5 Miami (FL)
#6 Michigan
#7 Alabama
#8 Mississippi
#9 USC
#10 Penn State

Our previous coach got numerous 4 and 5 stars while in the Big East (Anthony Davis/Kenny Britt/ Savon Huggins/ Hamilton etc). I think Flood will be getting these kind of kids in the next recruiting cycle or 2. He's close now, just need to hire a 'Hafley' type closer and/or win a bit more in The Big10. I'm hoping anyway, lol.

And PSU_Nut I know what you were going for when you listed all those universities, but the list doesn't necessarily make sense for the argument because this thread just mentioned media market size as a factor in a recruits decision. You should have had a list of comparable universities and their corresponding media market size and then THAT would have shown if media market size matters.

But to just pull the top 10 recruiting universities and say "only 1 of them are in a big media market so it doesn't matter" doesn't exactly make sense if you actually think about it. One thing it does show is that media market size isn't the most important factor in recruiting (Granted nobody was saying that it was the most important thing, but hey I am just just trying to keep it positive here)

Mike is right. Just gonna take a new coach.

I don't follow. Kids from Houston are not leaving Texas to go play in NJ. Kids in
NJ would rather play anywhere but NJ. Where are the positives?
No but what he's saying is if kids are passing on SEC and B12 schools to stay home why can't we? The coach is probably great at selling the "vision" and Houston is a nice city to live and play in. When GS left we were just about at the point with Hafley et al selling our vision of keeping some real high profile players...STARS and all. When GS left "doubt" crept in and until recently were trending the wrong way. I do think HCKF is learning on the job and the worm is starting to turn...It can be done and we can be a major B1G player with all our built in advantages and location.

I just looked at the Rivals Top 100. I don't see the #6 and #48 rated recruits verballed to Houston. There is one kid in the Top 100 verballed to Houston.

I don't agree with the OP since that is just such a silly premise.

However, the fact that this class thus far is the highest rated 100% Flood class is a great sign for the future.

Rutgers should just get the best players for their system period, what state they are from should not factor into it whatsoever.

I don't agree with the OP since that is just such a silly premise.

However, the fact that this class thus far is the highest rated 100% Flood class is a great sign for the future.

Rutgers should just get the best players for their system period, what state they are from should not factor into it whatsoever.

Depends. If it ends up ranked around 40 - and that the highest rated Flood class. In a year in which NJ was full of high end players, then I would take that actually a reall bad sign for the future. If the best we can hope to do is a distant 5th or 6th in recrutiing with the 4th or 5th or 6th best coach - we are looking at alot of 5-7 win seasons until Flood eventually washes out.

Depends. If it ends up ranked around 40 - and that the highest rated Flood class. In a year in which NJ was full of high end players, then I would take that actually a reall bad sign for the future. If the best we can hope to do is a distant 5th or 6th in recrutiing with the 4th or 5th or 6th best coach - we are looking at alot of 5-7 win seasons until Flood eventually washes out.

True, it is not a sign of becoming world beater in recruiting but it is still a positive step in the right direction. The culture in New Jersey is that it is a lot more impressive to brag to your family and friends that you are going to play football at Ohio State or Michigan or some SEC school than if you tell them that you are going to play for Rutgers.

The Rutgers brand just isn't as sexy as those schools in New Jersey.... yet.

Now students from outside of Rutgers see Rutgers differently, so we have a better chance of getting out of state 4 star players than in state. Until the culture changes, that will be the case for the most part.

Reactions: jmg75
NJ recruits tend to view Rutgers Football the way board members view the Accord.

I think for a lot of the same reasons as well (underpowered[funded], boring, not enough bells/whistles, deserve better, etc.)

Sorry, but I have moved on from top rated NJ footballers. Give me a few ranked between 11-25 here and then fill out the class in NY, Pa, Fla, Md

Reactions: miketd1
Also remember that Houston hired HFC Tom Herman, OC of the of the National Champion Ohio State Buckeyes. So yes if Rutgers hires the "next big thing" as their head coach they may be sell NJ talent on staying home.

That said, there's more than one way to do it but it think it's a bit misleading to look at success at what you deem a lesser institution and say if they can do it so can we.

The only reason why anyone, ANYONE talks about in-state recruiting here in NJ is because NJ happens to develop a good number of D1 players. That's it. It's not because NJ players are the best in the country or, conversely, the best for this team. It's just because there is a good amount of talent here. But, there is a good amount of talent elsewhere, too. That is, if you know how to look for it. Way too much is made of in-state recruiting both on this board as well as in the media. Objectively-speaking, in-state recruiting is not a determining factor for success. Look at Nebraska or Boise State.

If the coaching staff says, "I'm going to take this really good player from Pennsylvania or New York," that is somehow worse for the program because the kid didn't come from New Jersey? St. Schiano, for all of his good, definitely put this into people's minds that we should build a wall around NJ and keep all of the recruits home. But, are those recruits the best players in the country? Are they the best for this team? If not, then why are we talking about it?

I have never heard of Houston University before ... although there is a good school in Texas called the University of Houston.

Reactions: FastMJ
Houston's 4* DT Ed Oliver is 6'2" 260.
Our 3* DT Jarrod Hewitt is 6'2" 290.
Which one would you put in the middle of the DL to play in the B1G?

Ed Oliver everyday of the week. He is so explosive!

Ed Oliver has a composite 5 star rating on 247 and an impressive offer list. http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Ed-Oliver-32113/RecruitInterests

Jarrod Hewitt has a composite 3 star rating on 247 with a mediocre offer list. http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jarrod-Hewitt-61434/RecruitInterests

After doing some reading on both of these guys it seems some don't believe either one will end up at the school they are currently committed to.

sample size (2...or 1) is too small to make any projections. no need to rehash the RU needs kids to stay home discussion.

Houston's 4* DT Ed Oliver is 6'2" 260.
Our 3* DT Jarrod Hewitt is 6'2" 290.
Which one would you put in the middle of the DL to play in the B1G?

Oliver has offers from Alabama, LSU, Notre Dame, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma.

Hewitt has offers from VTech, Purdue and Pittsburgh.

I'd take Oliver, get some weight on on him and be just happy with that. Hewitt isn't playing as a frosh anyway either.

Decent let alone good DTs are hard to find....if Hewitt takes VT over us were in trouble. Their not Bama,Mich or tOSU let alone PSU... VT's HCFB is past it and HCKF should be making some strides by now with these 3 star guys. I don't think of VT in Blacksburg as a premier selector school.

Is it amateur hour on this board? We've had the allure of the B1G for over 2 years now and we've barely gotten any 4 stars. You gotta love this board.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteBus
( my opinion)
Win some of the Big B1G ( OSU, MSU , PSU, Michigan ,Wisconsin and Nebraska games and RU will be getting
some of the top Jersey HS Talent (4*+) that RU seems just to be missing out on now.
Rutgers isn't considered a major power , or close to it, so it must start beating the schools that are expected to blow RU out when they play.
Michigan under Harbaugh is being considered a shoe in to return to major power status and the recruits feel by committing to his program they will be with a program that has a shot at the B1G Championship and playoffs.
Penn St is doing a great job of selling their traditional power status and also making recruits feel they will be a part of a program destined to play for the B1G Championship and a playoff spot.

Rutger must make those recruits feel Rutgers will be the same , in order to get them to commit.
The only way to do that is beat some of the opponents, not come close, that RU is said to have no chance of beating and
keep it close with the others.
This season beating Mich and the Nits would go a long way in building confidence that RU will be a top program soon, but besides
beating those two programs trying to return to power, RU must not allow themselves to be blown out by the programs that are considered powers now.

Win the big ones and top recruits will come, lose the big games and beat the 2nd tier teams, top recruits ( 4*) will look somewhere else most of the time.

Reactions: miketd1
Houston is in the fertilest of fertile recruiting grounds in the country

Houston got the #6 player Ed Oliver a 5 star and they got the #48 guy Elliot Jordan.

And all I am saying is that if HOUSTON can recruit the best players in the country... it is definitely a positive that eventually with the right combo of coaching/recruiting, image, message, and performance ....Rutgers will be able to as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT