ADVERTISEMENT

Adam Breneman 🫡

Which is exactly why GS is the perfect coach for Rutgers. He gives a very real reason to come play here: player and human development.

There are maybe 5 or 10 coaches in the country that could come to Rutgers and recruit because of who they are. Rutgers is maybe the 45th best job in college football. Those guys aren't coming here.

Without comparative NIL money, everyone else is dead in the water. But keep dreaming' malcontents. I'll be over here rooting like crazy for a coach and a program full of coaches and kids, doing everything the right way.

Absolute pleasure.

Does anyone care that much what a washed out former State Penn players who ended up at UMass thinks?
More than what Politi, the NJ.com staff, and most of the sportwriters who have zero to little experience playing collegiate football. While his style can be a little off putting, his content is good and he has some good takes.

Last edited:
Good to hear his thoughts on Franklin too. I wondered if PSU was smart in giving Franklin the extension they did -- I just had a feeling that Franklin wasn't necessarily a stand up guy, and PSU friends of mine have the same misgivings. Not quite as bad as a snake oil salesman but along those lines. I don't have anything tangible or concrete to describe
Does anyone care that much what a washed out former State Penn players who ended up at UMass thinks?
Since he's making a career out of it, yes, people care. If you don't, don't listen.

Pretty high praise, naming Greg as one of the 3 coaches he’d want his son to play for.

Can’t be sure but he may have felt obligated to pick JF as one of the three, since he actually played for him.

Which is exactly why GS is the perfect coach for Rutgers. He gives a very real reason to come play here: player and human development.

There are maybe 5 or 10 coaches in the country that could come to Rutgers and recruit because of who they are. Rutgers is maybe the 45th best job in college football. Those guys aren't coming here.

Without comparative NIL money, everyone else is dead in the water. But keep dreaming' malcontents. I'll be over here rooting like crazy for a coach and a program full of coaches and kids, doing everything the right way.

Absolute pleasure.
110%.

Fluff piece with no real analysis or insight. BFD. What does he think of the Central Florida coach ? Or Eastern Michigan ? What's not to like about Marcus Freeman or Jay Norvell ? Are the academy coaches light on character ? He might have pulled the three names out of a hat for all we know.

But more relevant, who should care about his list ? I, for one, don't have a son aspiring to play D1 football. 99.9% of us have a fan perspective. HC character is great but winning is just as important.

I want good character and a winner. Our guy isn't both.

• Haha
Reactions: newell138

Absolute pleasure.
Excellent post.
I agree completely. đź‘Ť

Just like social media, small vocal contingents can make it appear that a position is more relevant or pervasive than it actually is. Pre internet, gatekeepers with journalist training would have weighed the value of placing minority held positions on the same footing as those that are of an overwhelming majority. Not barred, just perspective given in coverage mostly. Sure, at times some voices were drowned out, but the inverse world that the internet posits at many times did not exist.

Here for ex on this board, we have high volume posters who are anti GS and at times perspective can be skewed by seeing the high volume of posts. My estimation is a majority of RU faithful see improvement and also place some value on having a program that the university can be proud of, such that Brennaman's take is one that is positively received by the majority of the RU faithful.

Pretty high praise, naming Greg as one of the 3 coaches he’d want his son to play for.

Can’t be sure but he may have felt obligated to pick JF as one of the three, since he actually played for him.
He didn't have to mention Franklin if he didn't want to, since he left Penn State and finished his career elsewhere. Actually, a bit of a surprise.

Reactions: BillyC80
Fluff piece with no real analysis or insight. BFD. What does he think of the Central Florida coach ? Or Eastern Michigan ? What's not to like about Marcus Freeman or Jay Norvell ? Are the academy coaches light on character ? He might have pulled the three names out of a hat for all we know.

But more relevant, who should care about his list ? I, for one, don't have a son aspiring to play D1 football. 99.9% of us have a fan perspective. HC character is great but winning is just as important.

You just can't stand anything positive about Rutgers. We get it, how can't this group of 3 be valid if Dino is not on it?
As for character vs winning- Always nice to have both but if given a choice between a winning program with a shitbag for a HC or a middle of the pack team with a high character HC...most "responsible" parents with go with the later.
I know we did and very happy to have a son that made the NFL, has a very successful career out of football and is a very well respected person and a great father.
Getting a few more wins in college would not have been worth a shitbag coach being the prominent person in his life for 4-5 years.

You just can't stand anything positive about Rutgers. We get it, how can't this group of 3 be valid if Dino is not on it?
As for character vs winning- Always nice to have both but if given a choice between a winning program with a shitbag for a HC or a middle of the pack team with a high character HC...most "responsible" parents with go with the later.
I know we did and very happy to have a son that made the NFL, has a very successful career out of football and is a very well respected person and a great father.
Getting a few more wins in college would not have been worth a shitbag coach being the prominent person in his life for 4-5 years.
This is a nice perspective as a parent.
Most fans just want to win and don’t care how it’s accomplished in professional sports.

Reactions: Kbee3 and MADHAT1

OUR guy? Your guy is Dino Barbers.

Good to hear his thoughts on Franklin too. I wondered if PSU was smart in giving Franklin the extension they did -- I just had a feeling that Franklin wasn't necessarily a stand up guy, and PSU friends of mine have the same misgivings. Not quite as bad as a snake oil salesman but along those lines. I don't have anything tangible or concrete to describe

Since he's making a career out of it, yes, people care. If you don't, don't listen.

PSU and their fans only care about winning. Do I need to rehash what they are willing to cover up to win? Lately Franklin is delivering. Period.

This is a nice perspective as a parent.
Most fans just want to win and don’t care how it’s accomplished in professional sports.
The perspective as a parent can be very different than as a fan.
Though, many of our fans do like having a Coach with character as well.

And there are parents out there that only care about winning and now NIL at any cost. I have seen families even on our sideline that will boo teammates of their sons if that teammate is taking away playing time. So, it is everywhere.

PSU and their fans only care about winning. Do I need to rehash what they are willing to cover up to win? Lately Franklin is delivering. Period.
Most fans only care about winning . Obviously , the Penn state situation was despicable and most fans wouldn’t be ok with what happened there .

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Most fans only care about winning . Obviously , the Penn state situation was despicable and most fans wouldn’t be ok with what happened there .
My wife's family lives in Pennsylvania not all that far from Pedd State. They were once all PSU football fans and some of them actually attended the school. After the Sandusky/Paterno scandal almost all of them stopped being fans of that football team.

My wife's family lives in Pennsylvania not all that far from Pedd State. They were once all PSU football fans and some of them actually attended the school. After the Sandusky/Paterno scandal almost all of them stopped being fans of that football team.
Good for them . I don’t know any Penn state fan that stopped being a fan because of it. Some of them are delusional and blame mcqueary.

Crazy thing is the sandusky situation may have actually helped the program long term. They were able to move on from paterno, who was hanging on way past his prime . The sanctions didn’t hold up. They got good coaches in O’Brien and Franklin in there and the program is in great shape . Crazy that they wound up better

I would think people would be abhord that a person who choose to attend PSU likes and is signaling out HC Schiano.

Don't people want the GameDay ops guy fired just because he attended PSU as a student?
This Adam guy chose to play football there after all that happened and people are happy he likes HC Schiano?
And that HC Schiano is on the same list as HC Franklin - again a guy who chose to go there after all that happened?

Maybe people don't hate PSU as much as I thought?
As long as they are being positive about Rutgers.

I would think people would be abhord that a person who choose to attend PSU likes and is signaling out HC Schiano.

Don't people want the GameDay ops guy fired just because he attended PSU as a student?
This Adam guy chose to play football there after all that happened and people are happy he likes HC Schiano?
And that HC Schiano is on the same list as HC Franklin - again a guy who chose to go there after all that happened?

I'll be honest...I don't hold Sandusky against any current players for deciding on PSU.

But- the fans that so much wanted to deny it happened and some still do- different story.

also- Franklin, I have no idea what he is like with the players at PSU- maybe he is a stand up guy but...what happened at Vandy- not such a good person at that time.

Bullshit You Lie GIF by Travis

Just like social media, small vocal contingents can make it appear that a position is more relevant or pervasive than it actually is. Pre internet, gatekeepers with journalist training would have weighed the value of placing minority held positions on the same footing as those that are of an overwhelming majority. Not barred, just perspective given in coverage mostly. Sure, at times some voices were drowned out, but the inverse world that the internet posits at many times did not exist.

Here for ex on this board, we have high volume posters who are anti GS and at times perspective can be skewed by seeing the high volume of posts. My estimation is a majority of RU faithful see improvement and also place some value on having a program that the university can be proud of, such that Brennaman's take is one that is positively received by the majority of the RU faithful.
I suspect those criticizing Breneman are all posters who have waxed on and on about how GS isn't the right guy and now feel a huge need to lash out at someone who has the gall to contradict their point of view.

Regardless of their personal beliefs about GS or Breneman you'd think they'd recognize the more important thing is the positive publicity from a media "outsider" about our coach - thus making recruiting easier. But it's apparently more important to be "right" than acknowledge what a great piece this is from a program perception p.o.v.

And we all know what Breneman says is true just based on the years of under recruited and under or unrafted RU players succeeding in a huge way in the NFL.

More than what Politi, the NJ.com staff, and most of the sportwriters who have zero to little experience playing collegiate football. While his style can be a little off putting, his content is good and he has some good takes.
I agree with your overall point but it should probably be directed at the clown message board posters that post nonsense during every game. The NJ.com staff is VERY good.

Is it that they didn’t care about it at the time ? Or that it has nothing to with the their view of the academics or athletics today ?

Is it that they didn’t care about it at the time ? Or that it has nothing to with the their view of the academics or athletics today ?
I have a nephew that attended from 2012-2015. His take on it was that he was there for school, he majored in Architectural Engineering.
What happened with Sandusky/Paterno had nothing to do with his life.
Did he attend games- yes, did he cheer on the team, yes. Did he believe Sandusky/Paterno were guilty, yes. While he was there- he would get that question all the time. His response is that he is glad it happened before his time as he can enjoy what he was experiencing now without it being tarnished.

But it was now his school and his football gameday to experience. Since Graduation, he has moved on and I am not sure if he follows the team or even football at this time. I had never seen him with any type of PSU football crap, shirts or anything like that.
It was completely HIS college experience.

Now- are there way too many fans from those days that sit there and try to make excuses and deny- yes, way too damn many. But any students and players or coaches since then- it has NOTHING to do with them.

I don't know many if anyone that wants the game day ops guy fired for being a PSU grad. I want the guy to do a better job. He does a horrific job with most things that go on within the stadium. If it is true that he implemented the boardwalk, he should be commended (but a boardwalk style tailgate section was discussed for many years prior to his tenure). He has butchered the team intro, sound volume is an issue, the all out assault on the senses when you enter the stadium is criminal, the overuse of every sound device(train horn, crossing gate bells, multiple songs playing at the same time, third down abomination, lion roar, the list goes on...) is directly attributed to he and his staff.

I don't know many if anyone that wants the game day ops guy fired for being a PSU grad. I want the guy to do a better job. He does a horrific job with most things that go on within the stadium. If it is true that he implemented the boardwalk, he should be commended (but a boardwalk style tailgate section was discussed for many years prior to his tenure). He has butchered the team intro, sound volume is an issue, the all out assault on the senses when you enter the stadium is criminal, the overuse of every sound device(train horn, crossing gate bells, multiple songs playing at the same time, third down abomination, lion roar, the list goes on...) is directly attributed to he and his staff.

When I watch other P5 games I always think I wish Rutgers would go back to that style of more band between plays

Traditional college football atmosphere

What you are leaving out former Coach that was forced to resign while being investigated for recruiting violations?

I have a nephew that attended from 2012-2015. His take on it was that he was there for school, he majored in Architectural Engineering.
What happened with Sandusky/Paterno had nothing to do with his life.
Did he attend games- yes, did he cheer on the team, yes. Did he believe Sandusky/Paterno were guilty, yes. While he was there- he would get that question all the time. His response is that he is glad it happened before his time as he can enjoy what he was experiencing now without it being tarnished.

But it was now his school and his football gameday to experience. Since Graduation, he has moved on and I am not sure if he follows the team or even football at this time. I had never seen him with any type of PSU football crap, shirts or anything like that.
It was completely HIS college experience.

Now- are there way too many fans from those days that sit there and try to make excuses and deny- yes, way too damn many. But any students and players or coaches since then- it has NOTHING to do with them.
I agree with him and you (I think). The hideous events and subsequent scandal should not tarnish the other sports and academics then or the athletics & academics now.

I agree there are surely countless Paterno apologists now, but the lingering disgust among our fans for everything PSU is childish and misguided.

Reactions: RAHWAYBOB
I agree with him and you (I think). The hideous events and subsequent scandal should not tarnish the other sports and academics then or the athletics & academics now.

I agree there are surely countless Paterno apologists now, but the lingering disgust among our fans for everything PSU is childish and misguided.
Look at that…we can agree on something. Lol
Agree 100% on everything including the stupidity of PSU chants when we are playing Wagner..,

Now that is an excellent post also and coming from someone who has lived it,yesrutgers01. I am not ashamed to say I love Greg as the face of Rutgers and you can give a very close second to Steve for what he's brought to Rutgers. Both my son's Rutgers degrees only get more impressive with the positive press Greg & Steve bring the school and how Rutgers is ranked academically as both a state university and worldwide. So many Rutgers Alumni in positions to hire graduates in the tri-state area is something parents should always consider as a plus plus when helping them make the decision on where to go. Go RU, love what it has done for my boys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT