ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama game

shields

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2002
I believe today is anniversary of Alabama game in 1980. Lost by 4 points. Was a frosh at time and could not go to game because my aunt had 50th anniversary party and listened on radio. Believe it was October 11 1980. killed me could not go.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Was there at the Meadowlands. Bama ran the wishbone and we played so well against it, they had to pass to win the game towards the end. Of course, in true Rutgers fashion, rather than using that performance as a stepping stone, we lost the next week to William and Mary. ugh.

I was 13, at both games, and if I recall correctly we looked slow and beat up after playing Alabama. Still shouldn’t have lost, but, yet, as “typical” as it gets!

Reactions: Knight Shift
I was there. Fun game til the end. Almost got into with an Alabama fan. Fortunately cooler heads prevailed. Haha.

I was 13, at both games, and if I recall correctly we looked slow and beat up after playing Alabama. Still shouldn’t have lost, but, yet, as “typical” as it gets!
You mean we lost a game we never had any chance of winning despite the machinations of the game which may have fooled you otherwise into believing we did? Sounds familiar ;)

Went to Tuscaloosa the following year. It was Bama.s homecoming game. We went up 3-0 and I took a photo of the scoreboard. Our group kept chanting “stop it now!” Great experience.

Reactions: goru7
1980_Rutgers_vs_Alabama.jpg

IWT had good enzone seats. This drunken Bama fan kept staggering up and down egging on the Rutgers fans. He was passed out by the end. Saw the sweetest hit ever when our KO team crasher sent a return blocker skidding on his back on the slick field. Bear Bryant said they were beaten everywhere but the scoreboard.

Last edited:
Was Shelby impressed with our performance against the #1 team in the nation? 😜

That was a good season for RU at 7-4. Typical cream puff early season scheduling by Greg though!

Of note- RU lost to 5-6 Syracuse that year, where the OC was Tom Coughlin!! And we lost to West Virginia!!

DateOpponentSiteResultSource
September 13at TempleW 21–3[4]
September 20CincinnatiW 24–7
September 27Princeton
  • Rutgers Stadium
  • Piscataway, NJ
W 44–13[5]
October 4at CornellW 44–3[6]
October 11 No. 1 AlabamaL 13–17[7]
October 18William & Mary
  • Rutgers Stadium
  • Piscataway, NJ
L 18–21
October 25at SyracuseL 9–17
November 1at ArmyW 37–21
November 8at VirginiaW 19–17
November 15West Virginia
  • Rutgers Stadium
  • Piscataway, NJ
L 15–24
November 22Colgate
  • Rutgers Stadium
  • Piscataway, NJ
W 35–13[8]

I believe today is anniversary of Alabama game in 1980. Lost by 4 points. Was a frosh at time and could not go to game because my aunt had 50th anniversary party and listened on radio. Believe it was October 11 1980. killed me could not go.
Similar here: was freshman year and I had some family thing back home in SNJ - always bummed I missed that game.

Reactions: shields
Was there at the Meadowlands. Bama ran the wishbone and we played so well against it, they had to pass to win the game towards the end. Of course, in true Rutgers fashion, rather than using that performance as a stepping stone, we lost the next week to William and Mary. ugh.

I was there
Was the crowd more pro-Rutgers or pro-Alabama?
What was the estimated crowd? Wikipedia says 58,000.

My Dad and I sat behind the Alabama bench on the 50 yard line -Row 2 . Bear Bryant in his hounds tooth get up. Rutgers played a great game and yes, we could have won it. No shame that day .Us losing the next week was a total letdown as others have stated.

My father started taking me and my brother to Rutgers games when I was 5 years old. Always the Rutgers - Princeton game, as he went to both schools, and usually another game each year. When I graduated and began working, I then took him to games. I will always remember the Alabama game as it was the last one I took him to before he passed away. My brother and I often talk about our love of college football and how our father helped instill it in us.

Reactions: Vlife and RUPete
was there, lost my voice.. some jackhole laughed when I said I was going saying we'd lose by 30.

Bet that, I said?

He said, Sure, $20.

Had to know the jackhole was a welcher.

I was there .. end zone seats! IT WAS A SACK FUMBLE (and RU recovery inside the Alabama 5 yd line) the refs were screwing us even back then. Plus Deron Cherry was caught from behind on a punt return that looked like a sure score! We almost pulled off one of the biggest upsets in CFB history.

Alas we had to settle for the headline “We Sure Gave the Bear a Helluva Scare” and the Bear Bryant quotes that were essentially “”we won but we didn’t beat Rutgers” and “no one has shut down our wishbone like that.”

Even though it was a loss it still is second to the 2006 Louisville win as my favorite Rutgers football moment.

Reactions: RUPete
Funny story involving the transitive property for projecting the outcome of hypothetical games. My buddy played for D3 Gettysburg and IIRC they lost a close game to an opponent that beat William and Mary by 4+ points. William and Mary beat Rutgers by 3 points, and Rutgers lost to Alabama by 4, therefore D3 Gettysburg would Have a shot against Alabama! 🤨.

The craziest thing about those back to back games is that we almost knocked off the most feared team in the country (reigning National champs, Bear Bryant just won his 300th game, and iirc they were on something like a 33 game winning streak) … then the following week (I think in a heavy rain???) we lost to a D1-A (FCS Equivalent today) team that finished the season 2-9. NUTS!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT