ADVERTISEMENT

As a Rutgers football fan, you know you're old when.....

You got a piece of the wooden goal post after a win over Princeton.

The cannon was on the hill in south endzone

The bridge you crossed from downtown was the Metlars lane bridge not the rt 18 bridge

At the end of football season you got ready for hoops at the Barn.

When you would go to Palmer Stadium to watch the annual preseason game between the Giants and Eagles. Go back a few weeks later in a jacket and tie to take in the Rutgers vs Princeton game.

Oh and the Friday prior to the game spray painting the PU cannon red.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDNB
You would drive to the store very Friday to buy the Star Ledger to read the weekly fact-based well written story about the football team and the prediction for the upcoming game in Saturday.
Was it written by Joe Calabrese or Tom Luicci?

Do I win a prize with this one:

The first two games you ever attended were Villanova/Buffalo as a freshman.

Wasn't even on campus for 24hrs before witnessing the Villanova loss in 2002.

As a Rutgers football fan, you know you're old when.....

.....you can remember the cannon being on the hill!

Anyone remember, one year at Homecoming, after the combined halftime show by the Alumni and RU Band, one of the alumni bass drummers went on the field to be a target for the cannon?

.....I tailgate and listen to a certain DJ speak of his heyday revelry in the marching band.

You should certainly feel blessed to have that shared with you over a high quality scotch!

You used a photo copier to make your parking pass.

I resemble that remark! I used to wait until a member of our tailgate was able to scan in one of our Yellow Lot passes, then I had a ream of paper I had matched perfectly to what they used and access to a high quality color printer.

.....you can remember the cannon being on the hill!

Anyone remember, one year at Homecoming, after the combined halftime show by the Alumni and RU Band, one of the alumni bass drummers went on the field to be a target for the cannon?

You should certainly feel blessed to have that shared with you over a high quality scotch!

I resemble that remark! I used to wait until a member of our tailgate was able to scan in one of our Yellow Lot passes, then I had a ream of paper I had matched perfectly to what they used and access to a high quality color printer.
Back when I started working for stadium parking there were no passes - you pulled up, paid your dollar and we stuck handed you a receipt- if you had a university parking decal as student or employee we waved you in for free

You almost died of alcohol induced dehydration because you didn’t bring any cash into the stadium to buy a water and the only atm in the stadium was out of order.

Pull a Friday setup overnighter in the first row of the Yellow Lot in prep for the Saturday Kegger Tailgate.

Reactions: borochop
I remember when the lots had no names. What is now the blue lot was known as "the lot with the tree" as there was a tree in the middle of the lot. And you could park where ever you want. No parking attendants.
“The lot with the tree.” 😂

-you 'followed' non-televised games by watching the score ticker on ESPN

-you can finish this phrase: "Always Rutgers, Always __________"

-you picked up your student game tickets and guest tickets at the RAC

-you saw the original 'Thunder and Lightning'

-you watched Rutgers games on NJN, CN8 and/ or Channel 9

Joe P.

Atm?????? you can't be that old!
The first ATM I ever saw/ used was in the small bank by the Busch Student center during my freshman year. And in what became the yellow lot... the preferred location for most students to go to the bathroom was the wooded area that surrounded the yellow lot. Back then they either had no, or very few porta-johns.. Then once in the game it was the troughs in the small buildings outside the walkway surrounding the stands

-you 'followed' non-televised games by watching the score ticker on ESPN

-you can finish this phrase: "Always Rutgers, Always __________"

-you picked up your student game tickets and guest tickets at the RAC

-you saw the original 'Thunder and Lightning'

-you watched Rutgers games on NJN, CN8 and/ or Channel 9

Joe P.
Or:

“”STS…. ____ !”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT