ADVERTISEMENT

As NJ college basketball stars Kadary Richmond, Cliff Omoruyi transfer out, fans speak up

He just had to include Cliff in an effort to support the SHU mess. One comment about the situations being different -- so why throw us into it-- he just had to soften their blow by including us. Weak ass article.

It's a weird dynamic as the fan comments represented in the article are regarding lamenting that players they follow will no longer stay 4 years and graduate - example given was Geo. Rutgers has 6 Transfers out this year yet the focus of the article (RU focus - excluding SHU & Richmond) was primarily on Cliff. Since Cliff actually stayed 4 years and graduated it did not seem to fit the narrative. Hence my interpretation is that its not mainly about following a player for 4 years. What fans mostly seem to care about is players leaving who have (or will continue to) produce for the team on the court and increase the chances of winning. They do not seem to have as much of a problem replacing guys who did not produce or welcoming transfers who might help us win - even if only for one year.

I think most people understand that schools like RU and The Hall are going to lose guys sometimes.

Everybody at the D-1 level will.

I would assume the Richmond kid is going to get at least a 100k per month payday for 8-10 months-----Cliff too.

I don't look in their refrigerators so who am I to question their choices ?

The article does a great job of capturing how most of the fans feel. We all know something needs to be done.

It does.

but I totally agree with others - Cliff is really a BAD example of the issue. In fact, there would be NO ISSUE if every kid did what Cliff did - i.e., play 4 years with the same team and get a degree from that same school.

putting Cliff in this article was really a square peg in a round hole.

So ummm……is nobody going to point out that Kadary Richmond was a transfer into Seton Hall?

This nostalgia story about following a HS player as he steps on campus the first time and through his entire career doesn’t actually apply to Richmond.

"Breaking News: Transfer player transfers again"

Last edited:
It does.

but I totally agree with others - Cliff is really a BAD example of the issue. In fact, there would be NO ISSUE if every kid did what Cliff did - i.e., play 4 years with the same team and get a degree from that same school.

The entire article doesn't make sense.
Why didn't they add Simpson and all the fans lamenting his transfer?

Reactions: Smols
The NJ print media is very rarely supportive of Rutgers sports. Seems they're always trying to find the negatives.

Reactions: Scarlet83
I have zero issues with the article. Cliff's situation is more applicable to the article than Richmond. This isn't anti RU or anti Cliff or RU vs SHU.

Bottom line is the days of a players finishing and ending their career with 1 team is almost going away..................until programs figure it out.................................which will happen very soon.

I don't think it can be left to Programs . There needs to be a governing body running something as big as CBB.

A governing body that isn't afraid to go to court at the first bark of some college athlete.

There needs to be a salary cap of a sort for all schools. The NIL deals should be separate and have zero management by the schools.

It's doable.

Simpson's not a good example either.

the gist of the article is kids leaving for $$$$ (leaving the schools in a lurch) - thats not Simpson. perhaps Paul or particularly Cam?

If anything Simpson could be cited as a victim of the system (i.e.., a school showing him the door to make room for better talent). note: I am not saying it was the wrong thing to do but certainly could be perceived that way.

Reactions: NickRU714
Simpson's not a good example either.

the gist of the article is kids leaving for $$$$ (leaving the schools in a lurch) - thats not Simpson. perhaps Paul or particularly Cam?

If anything Simpson could be cited as a victim of the system (i.e.., a school showing him the door to make room for better talent). note: I am not saying it was the wrong thing to do but certainly could be perceived that way.

That's my point.
The article is "look how bad it is for fans. Players leaving is terrible. Fans don't get to watch them for their career.

Fans (and coaches) only want good players to play their whole career in the school.
They can't rejoice fast enough when Jalen Miller or Derek Simpson transfer/pushed out and the roster gets upgraded.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
I have zero issues with the article. Cliff's situation is more applicable to the article than Richmond. This isn't anti RU or anti Cliff or RU vs SHU.

Bottom line is the days of a players finishing and ending their career with 1 team is almost going away..................until programs figure it out.................................which will happen very soon.

Would be a terrible thing for fans.
Who wants Jalen Miller, Derek Simpson, Dean Reiber and Woolfolk on the team next year instead of Acuff, Derkack, Martini and Lathan?

Fans and coaches don't want to be burdened with recruiting misses or not have the ability to upgrade the roster.

Would be a terrible thing for fans.
Who wants Jalen Miller, Derek Simpson, Dean Reiber and Woolfolk on the team next year instead of Acuff, Derkack, Martini and Lathan?

Fans and coaches don't want to be burdened with recruiting misses or not have the ability to upgrade the roster.
i want my cake and eat it to....John "hot plate" Williams, Oliver Miller or Glenn Davis style.

Can I please have only a few recruiting misses and players for 4 years?

I think most people understand that schools like RU and The Hall are going to lose guys sometimes.

Everybody at the D-1 level will.

I would assume the Richmond kid is going to get at least a 100k per month payday for 8-10 months-----Cliff too.

I don't look in their refrigerators so who am I to question their choices ?
The “refrigerator” angle at the end is puffery, Leave it at these young men capitalizing on opportunity. Good for them. Intelligent thing to do.

It does.

The angle on Cliff which the article did a poor job of linking wasn't about loyalty but kids jumping for the cash. They touched on it a tad bit when noting next years team but didn't complete the point.

Agree using Cliff as an example of guys just jumping and no loyalty was a bad one.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT