ADVERTISEMENT

Football Athan Kaliakmanis Named QB1, Gavin Entering Portal

I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet (I missed pages 4-6 of this thread) but I imagine that this was known - or planned, in some capacity - at the beginning of, or even before, Spring. Greg may have just announced this but, after bringing Athan in, Gavin must've known that there would be serious competition for his job. He might've objected directly to Schiano. And, Greg likely stood by his decision. So, perhaps, they came to some agreement regarding allowing Gavin to stay so that he could get some reps under his belt through Spring ball and then go. Either way, this didn't just happen this week. We have no way of knowing, for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is how it played out.

Separately, this is the world of college football today. Greg / the coaching staff need to be realistic. You come here, you produce. You don't produce? We replace you. All of these guys are free agents, going to where they can get the best deal. Why shouldn't coaching staffs treat them in a similar manner? It's not what I, or you, or the majority of fans would want but, until someone, somewhere is able to reign NIL in and put some guardrails up, this is college football today.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet (I missed pages 4-6 of this thread) but I imagine that this was known - or planned, in some capacity - at the beginning of, or even before, Spring. Greg may have just announced this but, after bringing Athan in, Gavin must've known that there would be serious competition for his job. He might've objected directly to Schiano. And, Greg likely stood by his decision. So, perhaps, they came to some agreement regarding allowing Gavin to stay so that he could get some reps under his belt through Spring ball and then go. Either way, this didn't just happen this week. We have no way of knowing, for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is how it played out.

Separately, this is the world of college football today. Greg / the coaching staff need to be realistic. You come here, you produce. You don't produce? We replace you. All of these guys are free agents, going to where they can get the best deal. Why shouldn't coaching staffs treat them in a similar manner? It's not what I, or you, or the majority of fans would want but, until someone, somewhere is able to reign NIL in and put some guardrails up, this is college football today.
Allowing Gavin to stay for reps would only delay his entry into the portal and lessen his chances to find a favorable fit.Now finding a solid spot is slim. I believe this came as a total shock to him

Allowing Gavin to stay for reps would only delay his entry into the portal and lessen his chances to find a favorable fit.Now finding a solid spot is slim. I believe this came as a total shock to him
Waiting until after spring, after he lost the job in a competition and showed he hadn't progressed in the spring game, almost certainly hurt his marketability in the portal.

We were a running team with a running quarterback. Are own coach was quoted saying we can’t throw the ball deep because we can not block for it. I appreciate the stats though.
So what proof do you have that we couldn't pass block if we ran less. Your statement leads me to believe we were the worst pass blocking team? Where exactly do we land?

Reactions: koleszar
Waiting until after spring, after he lost the job in a competition and showed he hadn't progressed in the spring game, almost certainly hurt his marketability in the portal.
Your reply has nothing to do with my post. I was referring to Beantown post on this being planned in order to get GW reps before he left

Good luck to Gavin
GS did him a solid but also the team as well. No controversy.
Allows other backups to move up. Shepard should be backup.
Hopefully staff thinks Shepard is ready. Looked better than Gavin.
Win-win.

Greg must be reasonably confident in in Ajani and surace as two guys that can be developed and serve as reasonable good back ups should it be necessary.

"The team will have me 4L(ife)". "Oh and I'm leaving you today." LOL. The kid can't even be honest. He's with them for life as long as it's in his best interest.
You can't even quote properly. He never said the team he said his teammates would have him for life. Leave the kid alone you don't know what went down stop acting like an ass! He gave up a lot to come here and work hard and you should respect that.

Thinking about this, I think that once AK was brought in, he was already given the job. Why would AK come to be the backup? And the staff already saw GW play, nothing would be turned around in a few spring practices. I think it is a bit of a gamble because we know GW can win games one way or another, but AK is an unknown. If AK throws a few pick sixes in games many here will start bitching to have the QB#2 start.

Provide a link. Heard otherwise from a good source.

Of course it did. I can’t imagine any scenerio based on what was described where GW didn’t realize he was falling significantly behind in the competition. Perhaps he’d seen the spring game as an opportunity to gain significant ground, but that didn’t happen (not that he stood out as worse, but he didn’t do anything to elevate himself either).

That’s why I said, Greg didn’t need to proactively approach Gavin, maybe it went that way, maybe GW asked for a meeting, but the reality is, it doesn’t matter. Of course Greg wanted GW to stay and compete but he wasn’t going to lie when the race to this point was what it was. He didn’t want someone who wasn’t all in sticking around which is what happens if you aren’t honest with kids about where they are at.

Hopefully Greg didn’t rush the decision.
I am guessing this was a case of the decision being made for him. Players aren’t dumb. They don’t need a coach to say you are the starter to get idea where they fall. I am sure this is a case of the writing being on the wall for Gavin.

You can't even quote properly. He never said the team he said his teammates would have him for life. Leave the kid alone you don't know what went down stop acting like an ass! He gave up a lot to come here and work hard and you should respect that.
Are you high, 'gave up a lot to come here'??????

Stop acting like you have battered wife syndrome. the kid was paid handsomely to come and play football at an elite institution in the top conference. Some of you people, with the way you think really are the epitome of what I would imagine a ****ing loser is

Last edited:
I am guessing this was a case of the decision being made for him. Players aren’t dumb. They don’t need a coach to say you are the starter to get idea where they fall. I am sure this is a case of the writing being on the wall for Gavin.
Already told you all how this was going down since January.

Greg is clean here

Exactly. I don’t see how anyone could even question this. If the battle was remotely close, this decision wouldn’t even be in the realm right now in spring. Greg isn’t stupid. There’s be no incentive in a neck and neck battle to inform either guy who was ahead. This had to be a case where everyone on the team knew and observed AK performing better all spring.

Are you high, 'gave up a lot to come here'??????

Stop acting like you have battered white syndrome. the kid was paid handsomely to come and play football at an elite institution in the top conference. Some of you people, with the way you think really are the epitome of what I would imagine a ****ing loser is
No battered white syndrome here dude. And I am definitely not part of the some of the people you refer to. However, a loser like you is now part of, some of the people, I have on ignore. No wonder most of the people on here can't stand you!

"The team will have me 4L(ife)". "Oh and I'm leaving you today." LOL. The kid can't even be honest. He's with them for life as long as it's in his best interest.
He might be expressing he enjoyed his time at Rutgers but for the sake of his football career, he must leave and find a better opportunity some place else.
One can whine ,cry and carry on because they lost a job, or exit with class because they knew they were given every opportunity to succeed and couldn't make the cut.
So instead of acting in a hateful manner , they leave with class thankful for the opportunity they were given .

Too often people blame their failures on everything but themselves and whine, cry and imply they weren't given a fair shot when they are going out the door, Wimsatt didn't do that and it looks like he expressed his honest feelings about his time at Rutgers in the message announcing his departure

It was on this way before that but agree

What you said back when was a prediction. The point is there’s no conspiracy theory to cook up here. Any explanation for how this went down starts with AK performing observably better than GW over the course of spring and nothing else really matters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT