ADVERTISEMENT

Barchi interview in Targum

It is pretty Rutgersian that when they consolidated the colleges and deregulated housing, they didnt put in a system to still try and align housing and student classroom use (which was less of an issue before the consolidation since Douglas, Livingston, and Cook were all for their own students only.)

Lots of really interesting stuff in here. Love the idea of essentially bus rapid transit. He certainly has a vision.

Also - I love the Rutgers Future Scholars program. Rutgers can't really do anything about the general situation of poor people not getting great educations. But it can (and other schools should follow suit) take the best prospects and make sure that they dont get bogged down in all of the crap that comes with being poor. Honestly, if the Stanfords and Harvards of the world really want to get in more poor people, a large scale program like this would be a good start.

This is great stuff. Everyone on this board should read this entire article.
This post was edited on 4/10 11:18 AM by derleider

I also thought he had some great answers about the buses and a train too...he really gets that RU just gets trounced in the media for no reason.

Unfortunately, as we saw on the football board, all that matters to some is that he didn't build the 20,000 seat Tim Pernetti Basketball Arena.

Originally posted by derleider:
It is pretty Rutgersian that when they consolidated the colleges and deregulated housing, they didnt put in a system to still try and align housing and student classroom use (which was less of an issue before the consolidation since Douglas, Livingston, and Cook were all for their own students only.)
I was enrolled in Livingston, but 95%+ of my non-business school classes were on C/D and College Ave. I actually don't remember any non-business school courses off the top of my head that I actually took on Livingston.

Rutgers college used to have student housing on CA, Busch, and Livingston.
I believe that the students declared preference was the only factor considered. Of course in the old days Livingston was least desired, but many were housed there anyway.

Originally posted by TonyLieske:

I was enrolled in Livingston, but 95%+ of my non-business school classes were on C/D and College Ave. I actually don't remember any non-business school courses off the top of my head that I actually took on Livingston.
Tony, I'm very surprised by what you say. When I was in the University Senate before the consolidation, I was repeatedly told that there were many, say, Douglass College students who took most of their courses outside Douglass. And the same can happen, I was told, for Rutgers College students taking math or scientific courses. Isn't that right?

I was also enrolled at Livingston and didn't take a single class on that campus. All but 4 classes were on College Ave with the remaining on Douglass.

Originally posted by _dave_:
I was also enrolled at Livingston and didn't take a single class on that campus. All but 4 classes were on College Ave with the remaining on Douglass.
I stand corrected. I guess as a Cook student it wasnt as big of a problem before consolidation. But certainly it explains the consolidation - if most people were taking many of their classes on other campuses anyway, the distinction had already ceased to be meaningful except to very specific majors.

Originally posted by camdenlawprof:

Originally posted by TonyLieske:

Tony, I'm very surprised by what you say. When I was in the University Senate before the consolidation, I was repeatedly told that there were many, say, Douglass College students who took most of their courses outside Douglass. And the same can happen, I was told, for Rutgers College students taking math or scientific courses. Isn't that right?
I guess it would depend on the student.

I could easily envision a student choosing to live on C/D or CA and having a major aligned with that living situation which let them take most of their classes on those campuses.

I chose Livingston because I knew, once I was in the business school, all of my classes would be on Livingston. At the same time, almost all of my non-business classes were on other campuses. I don't think many classes outside a few specific departments were even on Livingston at the time.

Note that at the time I was in school (class of 2000), the Business School in New Brunswick was only for Juniors and Seniors. I think Freshman nowadays enroll directly in to the business school, so it may be different.

I was Rutgers college and had classes on CA, Cook/Douglas and Livingston. I remember there being choices within each class so in a perfect world I could have kept most of my schedule on a single campus, but because of basketball practice, I was usually forced to take whichever fit timing wise (which meant the lesser desirable option some of the time). One problem I had going to class after practice (since it usually cut pretty close to the start of the evening class) was finding a parking spot. I had quite a few situations where I would end up missing class because I couldnt find a spot and eventually it was pointless to go into class late. If I didnt have my car it was still tough because it was a constant crossing within the 3 campuses throughout the day but in back to back timeslots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT