ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Set for Road Trip to Indiana

If you can’t win against your conference opponents it will never matter how many out of conference games you win. Once again it is evident we lack for pitching. Fix that next year and maybe we really have a team. Hoping we can win last 2 but….seems unlikely.at this point.

Sometimes it’s the little things. The series against Iowa really showed how deficient this team is compared to the rest of the league in bunting. It continues today. Top of the fourth we have runners on first and second with no out, behind 5–1. I questioned the sacrifice in the first place, but for about the third time this year, the bunt is popped up. Lucky there was no double play this time. Indiana has first and second with no out, the guy lays down a bunt that is so perfect they can’t even get them, though he was trying to sacrifice.

To some extent Rutger’s has not played small ball since Fred Hill was the HC. A skill which sometimes is not taught to the young because it’s not really easy to teach properly. But what do I know. I knew coach Hill quite well , played against his teams through HS and Legion the consumate teacher of small ball.

Reactions: Jersey Al64
Rutgers recruiting clearly is lacking as compared to league rivals.Starting pitching will always be difficult to attract for teams from the northeast.The hitters look great against out of conference teams but strike out too often against B1G Ten teams,Rallys are stopped by runners caught stealing far too many times along with the absence of clutch hits with runners in scoring position.

I wrote about Rutger’s failure to attract 2-3 top pitchers each year whether from in state or outside the tri state area. It can be done but the issue is now $$$$ and a willingness to recruit the west and south . We have lost 4-5 games based upon having a close it down type pitcher. But yes , those teams like Iowa , Indiana , Maryland etc. seem to have solved the issue of pitching. The hitting is just ok but always a fact that good pitching stops good hitting every time. Coach must expand the area of recruiting for pitching prospects. Just can’t keep bringing in retreads ( no offense intended just true) from small time programs.

Rutgers recruiting clearly is lacking as compared to league rivals.Starting pitching will always be difficult to attract for teams from the northeast.The hitters look great against out of conference teams but strike out too often against B1G Ten teams,Rallys are stopped by runners caught stealing far too many times along with the absence of clutch hits with runners in scoring position.
Being located in the northeast should not be an excuse for not recruiting pitchers due to weather. Do you believe the Midwest or northern big 10 teams have better weather?

Just a side thought on striking out. It doesn’t mean a hitter isn’t good if he strikes out. There have been any number of hitters who struck out and what would be considered unacceptable yet these same batters were productive . Most of course were power hitters . The Mick struck out many times but was as productive as they come. He also was a guy who could bunt for a hit … very much a guy who overcame his tendency to strike out too much .

Being located in the northeast should not be an excuse for not recruiting pitchers due to weather. Do you believe the Midwest or northern big 10 teams have better weather?
U Conn for a while has had a very good program and has been able to recruit pitchers from many areas. We seem to live with the northeast kid. Time to bring in a real pitching coach…

Well … 3-11 isn’t great in conference, but could be worse. A few sports have been winless or have won less. Should still finish with a winning season.

The one year raised the bar for me. Just disappointed the record isn’t closer to .500 in league.

Looking at RPI Rankings vs. B1G Standings.

Michigan is #96, but 4th in B1G at 10-4
Illinois is #69, but 1st in B1G at 11-3
Purdue is #67, but 2nd in B1G at 10-4
Nebraska is #2, and 3rd in B1G at 9-4

Rutgers is #45, but #13 in B1G at 3-11

🤷‍♂️

Just gonna copy/past from the RT thread:

Absolute pathetic weekend. AGAIN. Owens and staff have A LOT of work to do before next season. I honestly thought/hoped things would be much better by now. Oooof. Indiana was 7-5 going into the weekend in conference play. We are now 3-12, next-to-last in the conference, with almost no shot at the Big Ten tournament. BRUTAL.

This is terrible this year in our league games. Our pitching has been really bad. We better find some pitching before next season and we must be more competitive in league. After a very good start to our season things have become so disappointing.

Truth is unless we recruit with a plan outside the northeast we will be regulated to below average in conference. The excuses by some that pitchers always go south is only true if you allow that to be a reason. You have to have a HC and a staff who can convince 2-3 per year to stay home . The facility on campus still needs tweaking and the anticipated Middlesex County Field will help but the staff needs an upgrade. No way in hell should this state allow the best to leave.Warm weather is tough to overcome but we spend 3-4 weeks down south each year. Is our weather worse than Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana , Illinois etc.?

OK. Enough, It's time to FIRE HC Steve Owens! He's had 5 years here and finally cycled through the previous regimes recruits. This is his recruits and his team and they are in second to last place in the B1G10 -Unacceptable. He is the highest paid baseball coach in NJ and I know 20 NJ coaches who could do better. I want my money back -I'm tired of paying his salary. I'm also sick of Owens getting schooled by better B1G coaches - Rick Heller, Erik Bakich, Rob Vaughn, Mercer from Indiana. He doesn't coach fundamentals. He doesn't know a squeeze play from an orange. He'll never get in the NCAA's cause he purposely plays a cupcake schedule! Wake up HOBBS-I thought you were about winning. It's time for Owens to stop blaming the players and own it- Its tough to take responsibility that's why he's so soft. Hobbs this isn't a lifetime appointment -Lets find a winner -Get rid of Owens!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT