ADVERTISEMENT

Best Rutgers win since Louisville 2006

RUchip

All Conference
Oct 15, 2010
Next season, 2016 will mark 10 years since beating Louisville at home. Was thinking what game do you think is the best win since then? Im going to go with South Florida in 2007 when they were ranked in the top 5. I think that is the highest ranked team we've ever beat.

USF was #2 at the time, but finished the year outside the top 25.

I'd go with beating Cincinnati in 2011.

Best in terms of quality of opponent, yes, USF in 2007. But that team lost at least 3 games it could have won (Cincy, UConn, + UL), and ended up at 8-5 when it started the season ranked #16 so it was an overall disappointment.

But best in terms of significance, I'd go with Michigan in 2014 for it being our first B1G win (should have been our 2nd), for it showing that we could play in this conference contrary to most expectations, and for it propelling us to an 8-5 season that almost no one would have predicted. So RU finished 8-5 in both of those seasons but the 2014 was a good 8-5 season while the 2007 8-5 was a disappointing season.

This post was edited on 3/8 10:49 AM by ecojew

I'll go a different direction and say North Carolina, because it was just so freaking satisfying and so damn convincing.

All the bowl wins were nice. USF at the time. Cincy was dominating win yet was still really nervous that game with two bad Nova interceptions. Both Arkansas wins. Washington State, UConn and Maryland comebacks. We have had some good decent wins.

5-6 years from now.......... beating UM for first B1G win will be remembered as the best win to that point........ no one will remember it was a down year for UM (and who really cares -- with all the resources UM has every year - they don't get to make excuses).

I would probably say the Arkansas wins or the Pinstripe Bowl win. The Pinstripe if only because it was a good, well played game, and I loved the recognition of Eric at the end.

Best win is USF... Beating Michigan was a meaningful win, but I'm not giving "best" to a below-.500 team

Michigan may not have been the "best win," but if was a big "F U" to everyone who said Michigan was going to beat us by hundred two years. I don't care if it was a down year for UMich, there are too many "experts" who still treat RU like a two win bottom feeder. We showed people that we were better than Michigan.

Should have been beating ttfp this past season. I'll volunteer Michigan and Maryland for the scrum.UNC Bowl was anticlimactic.

While we havent had a win as high-profile as the '06 UL game yet, we've had a number of quality wins since that time. My top 5:

5) 2012: RU 10 @ Cincy 3
4) 2008 RU 54 @ Pitt 34
3) 2011 RU 20 - Cincy 3
2) 2007 RU 30 - USF 27
1) 2014 RU 26 - Michigan 24

Joe P.

I'd go with Maryland game. That saved our season, and probably our best recruits. Biggest comeback ever.

Originally posted by JoeRU0304:
While we havent had a win as high-profile as the '06 UL game yet, we've had a number of quality wins since that time. My top 5:

5) 2012: RU 10 @ Cincy 3
4) 2008 RU 54 @ Pitt 34
3) 2011 RU 20 - Cincy 3
2) 2007 RU 30 - USF 27
1) 2014 RU 26 - Michigan 24

Joe P.
Do you know what all those games have in common? They were followed by devastating loses the following week.

We will know when Rutgers has truly turned the page when they when a game after a big win.

This years Maryland game changed everything (outlook for recruiting, and to be able to call it a successful season) and was the largest comeback ever for RU.

But beating a SEC team in their house has got to be near the top also.

Well obviously the last minute of the Louisville game was the best minute of my RU football fan life.

But the last minute of the 2009 UConn game comes in at a close second.

WhiteBus, not the Pitt '08 game (though we did open up down 14-0 to cuse the next week but won the game 35-17). I agree with the point though...also agree about the '14 Maryland game, which completely changed the complexion of the season (and also helped secure our bowl spot and the Lambert trophy).

Joe P.

We could change this thread to is you glass half empty or half full. Mine is half full and there have been a lot of quality wins since that time. UL was electrifying but so were USF, MICH and ARKbat home. Arkansas on the road was a legit win against a rugged SEC opponent. The comeback vs MD on the road and the domination. Of UNC were very nice indeed. Crushing Ville in 08 was sweet on Thursday night. That year started poorly but winning out last 7 capped by beating a very hot NC ST team in the bowl game was a great run of solid Football. There has been bad to go with the good. If your glass is half empty ease feel free to talk about those.

I missed the 2013 Michigan win. LOL

However, 2014 Michigan win was the next best one. It showed everyone in the nation that we belong in the B1G.

Maryland is my choice too.Huge comeback obviously but even more important is that it got us the better choice of Bowl games. Then beating UNC put a great finishing touch on our initial B1G season.A very fine 2016 season will be the result of that Maryland game.
Originally posted by LC-88:
I'd go with Maryland game. That saved our season, and probably our best recruits. Biggest comeback ever.

Originally posted by beaced:
Maryland is my choice too.Huge comeback obviously but even more important is that it got us the better choice of Bowl games. Then beating UNC put a great finishing touch on our initial B1G season.A very fine 2016 season will be the result of that Maryland game.
Originally posted by LC-88:
Agree that this was the most important win. The comeback changed everything as far as perception of Flood and the program in general. Following it up with the beatdown of UNC was very important too.

Important wins should be ranked by two factors - prestige of the opponent and momentum gained by the win. Louisville satisfies both criteria, while the other wins mentioned satisfy one or the other. That why an undefeated Rutgers team beating Ohio State at home this year would trump the Ville win :)

Each significant win did answer an important question:

Can Rutgers beat a traditional Big 10 powerhouse? Michigan win
Can Rutgers beat an SEC team? Arkansas wins
Can Rutgers win a bowl game under Flood? North Carolina win

-Scarlet Jerry

This thread is really depressing. In 9 seasons our best wins are either bowl wins against nobodies, a win over what might be the most overated team midseason of all time (seriously - is there a team that was ranked in the top five in mid-October or whever we played them that fell further by seasons end), or beating a name team at home in a year that that team didnt go to a bowl.

I say Cincinnati 2011, simply because they are probably the highest rated (end of season #30 in Sagarin) team we have beat in those 9 years since we beat Louisville.

depends on how you define "best", beating Michigan this past season, first season in B1G, even if it was a down year for them, its Michigan.
someone said it earlier, very meaningful, without the level of excitement of louisville

Originally posted by derleider:
This thread is really depressing. In 9 seasons our best wins are either bowl wins against nobodies, a win over what might be the most overated team midseason of all time
Sadly, this is the best answer.

The good news is that we will have plenty of opportunities for historic wins over the coming years. The question is, will we have the horses? Personally, I'm about the future these days.

Always our last win.
The destroying of UNC was FANtastic to witness.
happy0026.r191677.gif

I'll go with Maryland from 2014, biggest comeback in school history.
Not too far behind, wins at Arkansas and Washington State. Power 5 road wins.
Just behind those: Michigan 2014, because 'Michigan'

Originally posted by Yeah Baby:
The thread is depressing if you have depression. Again, glass half empty.
Its neither half full, nor half an empty to us realists - its just a half a glass of water.

All of the games that were mentioned previous are great but I'll have to say that the game we had lost until lightening struck was the UCONN game when the Tom Savage to Tim Brown play happened. It had to be the most satisfying game to me. It's one of those games that we always lose. It was like "Devine Intervention." It was unbelievable, followed by the Michigan, USF, Maryland and this years UNC game.......

This thread is really depressing. In 9 seasons our best wins are either bowl wins against nobodies, a win over what might be the most overated team midseason of all time (seriously - is there a team that was ranked in the top five in mid-October or whever we played them that fell further by seasons end), or beating a name team at home in a year that that team didnt go to a bowl.

I say Cincinnati 2011, simply because they are probably the highest rated (end of season #30 in Sagarin) team we have beat in those 9 years since we beat Louisville.
Well in our conference situation for 8 of those 9 seasons, there were not a whole lot of opportunities for bigger wins. Louisville 2012 of course (sorry for bringing that one up), PSU 2014, Maybe VTech in the Russell Bowl.

Of course the 4 B1G teams that dominated us last year were opportunities, but not really.

Originally posted by Scarlet16E:

Well in our conference situation for 8 of those 9 seasons, there were not a whole lot of opportunities for bigger wins. Louisville 2012 of course (sorry for bringing that one up), PSU 2014, Maybe VTech in the Russell Bowl.

Of course the 4 B1G teams that dominated us last year were opportunities, but not really.
Well, how about battling for and getting to the BCS? Every year Rutgers since 2006 had the chance to create its own big games, they just made just about 0 progress towards it...unlike Cincy, WVU, and UL.

Nearly 10 years removed now and it is clear 2006 was a wasted stepping stone for this program.

Originally posted by S.B. Crumb:

Originally posted by Scarlet16E:

Well, how about battling for and getting to the BCS? Every year Rutgers since 2006 had the chance to create its own big games, they just made just about 0 progress towards it...unlike Cincy, WVU, and UL.

Nearly 10 years removed now and it is clear 2006 was a wasted stepping stone for this program.
I agree mostly, except we did manage to leverage 2006 into an expanded stadium, and a B1G invitation. Without 2006, neither of those things happen IMO.

No win since then has had as much impact. That was a program changing win in every sense of the word.

Thinking of this again and while I definitely think we need to step up our game something fierce, I remember a Temple fan coming on here a while back and mocking us a bit for not beating anyone of consequence. I did some quick recall/ research to see how many bowl teams we had beaten over the last 17 seasons (picked 1998 as the starting point because it was my freshman year at Rutgers). We have beaten 31 bowl squads over this time (not great by any stretch but that's including 98-02, where we beat 1 bowl squad in 5 seasons)...Temple has beaten 7.

As lacking as we've been, it could be A LOT worse. That being said, bar has been raised; we need to step it up.

Joe P.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT