ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten football “expected” to return

Yes, he could have declined to comment on Trump, but I have zero issue with Holloway's comments. Trump shouldn't be involved in the discussion at all and there's no reason for Holloway to walk anything back, IMO. I like that Holloway showed some balls in calling out Trump's "cheap politics" on this.
Why am I not surprised? That's your prerogative, but you are still a good guy in my book. My comment had nothing to do with Trump, but a University President coming out with such a harsh statement against a sitting President. But IMO, it is bad form for a University President (particularly of a major state University) to take a shot at any politician who can help his/her University, regardless of how the University President feels about a particular politician, and how uncouth the politician is. He could have made a point without saying "cheap politics." I always see taking the high road as the better road to take and come out looking like the better person. Stooping down into the gutter can leave a person in the gutter.

What credible sources have you seen saying RU would not play even if the B1G played? I haven't really paid attention much, since my sources have never said that and the few I've read on line that were credible didn't say that.
Sir Yacht! [roll]
Seriously, however, not speaking for KnightMoves, but it a fair inference based on Pres. Holloway's comments. You astutely have stated that it is doubtful Greg Schiano would be on board with this. Wonder what the whole dynamic is in the Rutgers decision and the interaction between Pres. Holloway, Schiano and perhaps Hobbs. And while I am overall not a fan of Gov. Murphy, I truly believe that he would be in favor of Rutgers playing, and he has come out as basically saying this.

Why am I not surprised? That's your prerogative, but you are still a good guy in my book. My comment had nothing to do with Trump, but a University President coming out with such a harsh statement against a sitting President. But IMO, it is bad form for a University President (particularly of a major state University) to take a shot at any politician who can help his/her University, regardless of how the University President feels about a particular politician, and how uncouth the politician is. He could have made a point without saying "cheap politics." I always see taking the high road as the better road to take and come out looking like the better person. Stooping down into the gutter can leave a person in the gutter.
Fair points, but I'll go with MLK here: "the time is always right to do the right thing" and to me it was the right thing to call out Trump's inappropriate behavior. And to quote Mr. Miyagi, you pretty ok too.

Fair points, but I'll go with MLK here: "the time is always right to do the right thing" and to me it was the right thing to call out Trump's inappropriate behavior. And to quote Mr. Miyagi, you pretty ok too.

Wonder why he didnt call out the political advertisements of Hidin Biden for blaming Trump for empty Big Ten stadiums ? He is siding one way, just like you... and thats the shameful part of it. Its all dirty slimy politics from both candidates and everyone knows it, but for Hollowoke to pick a side here , makes him just as dirty and toxic. Embarrassing

Last edited:
Usually don't like what Stephen Edelson writes, but here we are:
"It was the right move for the Big Ten to step back from athletics last month. It would be the right move for the league to begin planning a return to competition this season."

Edelson references a Detroit Free Press article.

Funny how nobody ripped the non-Orange politicians from Ohio and Michigan for intervening:
"It was between that time that league leaders began to receive political heat and backlash. Sens. Anthony Gonzalez (R-Ohio) and Ben Sasse (R-Nebraska) were the first, .....
On Tuesday, a group of 10 Republican lawmakers from six states — including Michigan Speaker of the House Lee Chatfield (R-Levering) and Senate majority leader Mike Shirkey (R-Jackson) — sent a letter to Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren and the 14 university presidents to reconsider its delay of college football."

Michigan and Michigan State have issues:
Michigan State University is currently dealing with a COVID-19 outbreak that led to the county health department urging all MSU students who had been on campus to quarantine for at least two weeks. MSU is doing an online-only fall semester for undergraduates.
The University of Michigan also is dealing with issues regarding its response to COVID. Graduate student instructors and assistants are on strike and were joined by student resident hall workers. All are protesting what they say are unsafe conditions at U-M, where students were allowed to move back into residence halls for the fall semester.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Sorry, but MLK was talking about bigotry and racism, not a politician trying to get a billion dollar enterprise re-started when the evidence had changed since the enterprise had made that decision. MLK also said:

"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear." In other words, take the high road, not the low road.

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

The three quotes above are more appropriate in this situation. I did not see Stephen Edelson or the Detroit Free Press pieces ripping on Pres. Trump. They concluded the getting back to play was the right move in light of the evolved science. And nobody ripped on the politicians from Ohio and Michigan when they took steps to intervene.

We obviously are not going to agree here. Regardless, things are looking good for the B1G to return to play.

"Inappropriate behavior" of Trump When has he ever..." If this was a razor blade factory in Iowa, would it be inappropriate for the prez to call the head honcho and say, "we need those blades out..."? You'[re assumption is that if the factory were in Hawaii, or NJ , he wouldn't make the call. You're a lefty leaper, leaping at a conclusion.

Was little doubt in my mind that we'd play if the B1G plays and I have no idea why so many have been so worried about it. Getting the votes to have the B1G to play is the only issue and that looks more optimistic now.
What credible sources have you seen saying RU would not play even if the B1G played? I haven't really paid attention much, since my sources have never said that and the few I've read on line that were credible didn't say that.
You have around the Banks long enough to realize like "Murphy's law" there is also something called "Rutgers Law" that we have seen over the years rear its head at the just about the "perfect" time.

[/QUO

Not playing would be pretty bad for your football program. I doubt there is a chance you don't play. I do wonder why your coach has been so quiet about wanting to play. Perhaps he has no choice. Whatever happens, good luck to you guys.

Not playing would be pretty bad for your football program. I doubt there is a chance you don't play. I do wonder why your coach has been so quiet about wanting to play. Perhaps he has no choice. Whatever happens, good luck to you guys.
While I wasn't a fan of how the interview turned out or was received, if the new President is saying he is the one in charge and will be the one speaking on this instead of a coach or Athletics Dept. spokesman, I am more than fine with that.

Reactions: eceres and LC-88
Wonder why he didnt call out the political advertisements of Hidin Biden for blaming Trump for empty Big Ten stadiums ? He is siding one way, just like you... and thats the shameful part of it. Its all dirty slimy politics from both candidates and everyone knows it, but for Hollowoke to pick a side here , makes him just as dirty and toxic. Embarrassing

Therein lies the problem and hypocrisy exhibited by our President of less less than three months.

When we're back, what will the schedule look like? This is an interesting opportunity to experiment with different scheduling alignments. I say take the two teams in the conference championship last year and let them pick teams school yard style. The schools would essentially be in their division for the year.

why do holier than thou guys think referencing MLK makes them saint like---using MLK is so scantimonious

glad they are looking to come back and making sure they feel it is medically safe.

I hope they institute a bubble type of plan to start to assure no disruptions. It is working in the NBA and NHL well.

Reactions: sct1111
glad they are looking to come back and making sure they feel it is medically safe.

I hope they institute a bubble type of plan to start to assure no disruptions. It is working in the NBA and NHL well.
I don't.

I want to see the B1G play as much as the rest of us but this isn't the NFL. Hope no one gets sick but I wouldn't want the players completely removed and sequestered. Same for MBB if this is still a thing in a few months from now.

If you look closely you can see the teal under his pullover...

mockup-48c60f0a_1024x1024@2x.png

Reactions: RUDead
Don't worry, we can play Michigan and Maryland four times each during the Big 10's spring season. We might actually have a chance to win once or twice because Michigan will have all it's pro-caliber players leave by then.

Yes, he could have declined to comment on Trump, but I have zero issue with Holloway's comments. Trump shouldn't be involved in the discussion at all and there's no reason for Holloway to walk anything back, IMO. I like that Holloway showed some balls in calling out Trump's "cheap politics" on this.

Trump should stick to messaging his Plan on dealing with the COVID crisis.
Ohhhhh... reality check. lmao

Reactions: Greg2020
Mandel is getting his handed to him...it’s funny...more proof that the media...any aspect of it is mostly WORTHLESS

In their defense RU typically does enough on its own to rip itself...
That has been Rutgers history for a long, long time. In fact us Rutgers fans have a name for it. The RU Screw! I really, really hope Holloway thinks this one through very carefully because even a "No" vote, where the rest of the BIG votes yes, would open us up to much ridicule and mocking. Holloway was doing fine right up until the point that HE made it political with his mouthing off about President Trump. Because he is so new to the job I will give him a pass for that mistake. I hope Holloway pulls it together and votes with the other BIG schools to start football.

I don't.

I want to see the B1G play as much as the rest of us but this isn't the NFL. Hope no one gets sick but I wouldn't want the players completely removed and sequestered. Same for MBB if this is still a thing in a few months from now.
Serious question: Why not? It's the main reason why those leagues haven't had a break out and they've been able to play all games.

Reactions: BLewis1968

Blank was asked about the Big Ten playing football this fall, as a proposal this weekend by the conference’s return-to-play committee suggested a possible start date of Oct. 17. The COP/C voted 11-3 in August to not play due to COVID-19 concerns.
“If I believe what I read in the paper, there are a variety of proposals. We did say quite clearly when we said we were not going to play starting (around) Labor Day that we were hoping to postpone the season, not cancel it. There are a variety of proposals that might allow us to postpone it,” she said.
“There are a variety of things that have changes since we last made that decision … the council of presidents met Sunday night. We had a very good discussion. We’re continuing to look at those proposals. I’m not going to say anything more about it at this point. I will say we’re all going to move together in the Big Ten. We’re all going to play or not if we possibly can. This isn’t going to be a school by school thing.”

Blank’s statement regarding the conference all taking the same path seems to refute reports circulating Monday that some programs would play while others sit out. National radio host Dan Patrick said on his show Monday that the COP/C vote will be “contentious.”

Reactions: RURM85

Blank was asked about the Big Ten playing football this fall, as a proposal this weekend by the conference’s return-to-play committee suggested a possible start date of Oct. 17. The COP/C voted 11-3 in August to not play due to COVID-19 concerns.
“If I believe what I read in the paper, there are a variety of proposals. We did say quite clearly when we said we were not going to play starting (around) Labor Day that we were hoping to postpone the season, not cancel it. There are a variety of proposals that might allow us to postpone it,” she said.
“There are a variety of things that have changes since we last made that decision … the council of presidents met Sunday night. We had a very good discussion. We’re continuing to look at those proposals. I’m not going to say anything more about it at this point. I will say we’re all going to move together in the Big Ten. We’re all going to play or not if we possibly can. This isn’t going to be a school by school thing.”

Blank’s statement regarding the conference all taking the same path seems to refute reports circulating Monday that some programs would play while others sit out. National radio host Dan Patrick said on his show Monday that the COP/C vote will be “contentious.”
Hopefully no one posts sir yacht anymore after this latest development. The guy is clearly not on target, and is at best guessing with a tiny bit of inside info.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT