ADVERTISEMENT

Cancer Pavilion

Wow!!! I would assume this is going to be huge for current and future Rutgers Med students.

is this going in the former Ferren deck site??? i don't see where else you could fit a 375 million building in Brunswick...

what is the address / site proposed for this ?
From the article:
"The pavilion will be located on property immediately adjacent to the existing Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital and Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey campus, although its exact location is still being identified."
Of course one of the people in the photograph is a poster here, not sure if he knows, and if he did, would he spill the beans in this forum.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
From the article:
"The pavilion will be located on property immediately adjacent to the existing Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital and Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey campus, although its exact location is still being identified."
Of course one of the people in the photograph is a poster here, not sure if he knows, and if he did, would he spill the beans in this forum.
Not sure that he could/would spill the beans...

Though it’s public property now, the old St. Peter’s NB (now Lincoln Annex school) would have been a good option. Not sure why RWJ didn’t snatch up that property when it was available. Also, there are a number of decrepit residential/commercial low-rise properties adjacent to the Aspire.

Reactions: Korbermeister
Not sure that he could/would spill the beans...

Though it’s public property now, the old St. Peter’s NB (now Lincoln Annex school) would have been a good option. Not sure why RWJ didn’t snatch up that property when it was available. Also, there are a number of decrepit residential/commercial low-rise properties adjacent to the Aspire.
I don't think there's enough room for a $750 million building next to the aspire. I'm thinking of the it building on French st, that abuts the deck. I'd be happy if they tore it down because it's just so ugly and out of character for an office/hospital building and for the area in general

I don't think there's enough room for a $750 million building next to the aspire. I'm thinking of the it building on French st, that abuts the deck. I'd be happy if they tore it down because it's just so ugly and out of character for an office/hospital building and for the area in general
To be perfectly honest, I haven’t a clue how much building $750MM buys you. You’re right, the real estate around the Aspire/around the Ronald McDonald House is tight. Would take a really inventive team of architects to build up and use that airspace. It’d be much easier to use part of the Hub space. Trying to figure out which ugly building on French Street you’re referring to though. Well, I’m sure Cofifa is on it. He doesn’t post much anymore...too busy rebuilding a city. :smiley:

Last edited:
Reactions: Korbermeister
To be perfectly honest, I haven’t a clue much building $750MM buys you. You’re right, the real estate around the Aspire/around the Ronald McDonald House is tight. Would take a really inventive team of architects to build up and use that airspace. It’d be much easier to use part of the Hub space. Trying to figure out which ugly building on French Street you’re referring to though. Well, I’m sure Cofifa is on it. He doesn’t post much anymore...too busy rebuilding a city. :smiley:
10plum.jpg

[QUOTE="Korbermeister, post: 3888106, member: 4478"
Here it is, in all its stucco-brickfakery :)
10plum.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I often wonder if they collaborate with Sloan-Kettering (MSK) in NYC. I hope they do, as MSK is at the forefront of cancer research and treatment.

I often wonder if they collaborate with Sloan-Kettering (MSK) in NYC. I hope they do, as MSK is at the forefront of cancer research and treatment.

I have never heard it suggested that they do, at least not on any large scale. As you say, MSK is at the forefront; a friend my age just got a second opinion there for her metastized cancer. She and her husband traveled from D.C. (their son was nice enough to do the driving), and they thought it was well worth the trip.

I have never heard it suggested that they do, at least not on any large scale. As you say, MSK is at the forefront; a friend my age just got a second opinion there for her metastized cancer. She and her husband traveled from D.C. (their son was nice enough to do the driving), and they thought it was well worth the trip.
That's a shame if they don't. It's funny, in addition to Tyler my wife was treated there as a child. When she sees the commercials for St. Judes claiming they've made all these innovations in treatment, she gets incensed because she knows from experience that most of them actually originated at MSK.

I've been fortunate to be able to point several people now to MSK - if anyone asks, for me that's the place to go, especially for a 2nd opinion. They know what they're doing; an oncology department at a general hospital, not so much.

Reactions: retired711
From the articles, it sounds like the desire is to create a cancer treatment/research center on the scale of MSK or MDAnderson, not to create a satellite campus of one of those.

Reactions: scripts
yzivgn0hdqwydgrtfjwy.jpg
upon further inspection of the video, you can see where Little Albany St. meets Somerset St. thru the glass, which implies that their desired site is the properties next to the Ronald McDonald , on the corner of Hardenburg St.. unknown at least one property which is vacant

Reactions: RUnTeX

Wife had her surgery at MSK NY and chemo/radiation at CINJ. MSK opened a location in Middletown in 2017 and poached her oncologist from CINJ along with her patients. The only collaboration it seems has been as a farm system for talent.

Wife had her surgery at MSK NY and chemo/radiation at CINJ. MSK opened a location in Middletown in 2017 and poached her oncologist from CINJ along with her patients. The only collaboration it seems has been as a farm system for talent.
Interesting. One of the things we learned while there was that MSK was collaborating with several hospitals in the area, such as Columbia Presbyterian.

The only collaboration it seems has been as a farm system for talent.
I think in the long run the health care business will evolve somewhat like financial services.

The market was previously dominated by local providers for all but the hugest clients with a NYC banker. But over time regional, then national, players came along and squeezed out all but the occasional boutique service. What is the largest bank that has a HQ in NJ now?

It might be soon that your local doc, and hospital, is just a branch of a Philly or NY outfit. What you saw there is a early example.

yzivgn0hdqwydgrtfjwy.jpg
upon further inspection of the video, you can see where Little Albany St. meets Somerset St. thru the glass, which implies that their desired site is the properties next to the Ronald McDonald , on the corner of Hardenburg St.. unknown at least one property which is vacant

That's my guess. Either that or the school on the opposite corner. RWJ owns a few of those houses already. It would be great if they put it on Division or High St. A bunch of those houses need to meet a bulldozer.

That's my guess. Either that or the school on the opposite corner. RWJ owns a few of those houses already. It would be great if they put it on Division or High St. A bunch of those houses need to meet a bulldozer.

Every house from St. Peter's to Hamilton needs to be dozed over.

Reactions: RUnTeX

Since Devco is involved and it’s such a large project. I think the location has to be the School. If it was the other corner, there would be too many property owners involved and something would have leaked. Since the city owns the school it’s easier to get it done quietly.

Some NIMBY nonsense

TAPInto
Resident Watchdog Group Plans to Turn Up Heat on Rutgers Board
Seems they think this might be the location for this?

Crying about a major employer and provider expanding in your neighborhood? Don't like congestion and traffic? They ought to move to one of the many towns across the country where the local hospital is closing up and doctor visits become a many hours commute.

Reactions: RU-ROCS
I hope Rutgers is getting the word out about this to every high school guidance counselor and health careers teacher in the state. Students in New Jersey need to know they have this opportunity down the line.

Star Ledger
Rutgers wants to open a top cancer hospital, but a local school board may have the final say

Seems the principal NIMBY objection is the students will have to attend a less attractive school while the new one is built?

Not sure why some faculty seem to be agitating on the topic. I doubt it is because they live in the neighborhood or send their kids to the school? Of course it could just be old fashioned faculty union bashing anything not involving a professor pay raise.

School board standing in the way? Seems unlikely, but I am not up on NB intramural politics lately.

Star Ledger
Rutgers wants to open a top cancer hospital, but a local school board may have the final say

Seems the principal NIMBY objection is the students will have to attend a less attractive school while the new one is built?

Not sure why some faculty seem to be agitating on the topic. I doubt it is because they live in the neighborhood or send their kids to the school? Of course it could just be old fashioned faculty union bashing anything not involving a professor pay raise.

School board standing in the way? Seems unlikely, but I am not up on NB intramural politics lately.
It’s not many people in opposition, but they’re vocal and passionate. It’s not that they oppose the CINJ pavilion per se, but they oppose the lack of contingency or planning until the new school is built. The new school site is on a former industrial site that is likely contaminated. Remediation is going to extend the timeline. Kids going to the Lincoln Annex school are going to end up in a temporary warehouse until the new school is built. It’s easy to say ‘screw them’, but wouldn’t you be passionate if these were your kids?

One of the location limiting factors is being able to cart patients from the existing CINJ building to the new pavilion. It’ll take a lot of engineering but I don’t see why they can’t tunnel under the train tracks and build on giant kitty litter box (the Hub site). Alternately they could buy land and bulldoze the land on either side of the Aspire.

It’s not many people in opposition, but they’re vocal and passionate. It’s not that they oppose the CINJ pavilion per se, but they oppose the lack of contingency or planning until the new school is built. The new school site is on a former industrial site that is likely contaminated. Remediation is going to extend the timeline. Kids going to the Lincoln Annex school are going to end up in a temporary warehouse until the new school is built. It’s easy to say ‘screw them’, but wouldn’t you be passionate if these were your kids?

One of the location limiting factors is being able to cart patients from the existing CINJ building to the new pavilion. It’ll take a lot of engineering but I don’t see why they can’t tunnel under the train tracks and build on giant kitty litter box (the Hub site). Alternately they could buy land and bulldoze the land on either side of the Aspire.
Tunneling by itself is expensive, tunneling under a 100 year old stone elevated rail ROW that's federally regulated adds a lot more money to the cost

I don’t understand the outrage. This has only been a NB school for like 3 years. It’s also in the college rental area. Not that many families with children in that location. I thought the mayor said more families live near the proposed location. It’s also a traffic nightmare when school gets out. Division St and Hardenberg St are all backed up with cars waiting to pick up their kids. State of the art cancer pavilion sounds like an incredible opportunity for Rutgers.

Reactions: scripts and Tararua
Tunneling by itself is expensive, tunneling under a 100 year old stone elevated rail ROW that's federally regulated adds a lot more money to the cost
No doubt it’s expensive, but on the other hand if RWJB took over the site of the Lincoln Annex school, part of the agreement is they’d have to allocate a lot of money to the Board of Ed ~55MM IIRC. Not just for the site but also to make up for the over 22MM in public funds used to renovate the school. A lot of tunnel can be dug with that kind of money.

I don’t understand the outrage. This has only been a NB school for like 3 years. It’s also in the college rental area. Not that many families with children in that location. I thought the mayor said more families live near the proposed location. It’s also a traffic nightmare when school gets out. Division St and Hardenberg St are all backed up with cars waiting to pick up their kids. State of the art cancer pavilion sounds like an incredible opportunity for Rutgers.
All the above is true. But imagine your kid’s in kindergarten at the Lincoln Annex school. Your kid would likely spend his or her next 4-5 years of grade school in an overcrowded temporary warehouse. If you don’t have the means to move out of NB, your kid’s screwed. That’d drive me nuts.

I just don’t understand why it has to that site. If they took the block immediately west of the Aspire...it’s only 7 houses and the Ronald McDonald House they’d have to buy up and raze. The acreage is similar.

It's Charlie kratovil. He is protesting a cancer center being built and firing up dozens of people about it in protest. He's lost his mind officially. Again...protesting...a cancer center.

All the above is true. But imagine your kid’s in kindergarten at the Lincoln Annex school. Your kid would likely spend his or her next 4-5 years of grade school in an overcrowded temporary warehouse. If you don’t have the means to move out of NB, your kid’s screwed. That’d drive me nuts.

I just don’t understand why it has to that site. If they took the block immediately west of the Aspire...it’s only 7 houses and the Ronald McDonald House they’d have to buy up and raze. The acreage is similar.

How do you anticipate acquiring 7 houses? The house on the corner of Hardenberg has been owner occupied by the same family for 50+ years. It would be quite a fight and probably take years to acquire 7 separately owed homes. Eminent domain laws have recently become much more restrictive and time consuming. This is most likely the reason the school is targeted since its one owner.

If you want another option look at the corner of Division and Somerest. The Magyar Reformed Church owns several building along Somerset St and the 3 house adjoining its property on Division St. It's a little smaller footprint but could work. At least you would only have to negotiate with 1 owner.

Can't the kids go to the schools they were going to 3 years ago? The school is named the Lincoln School Annex. It's an Annex, which implies it was never intended to use long term.

I think the people fighting this are being incredibly selfish. Let's say the protesters succeed in blocking the Cancer pavilion. That means they get to keep their 60+ year old outdated school. Future kids will be deprived of a free state of the art school. Cancer patients would be deprived of an incredible facility.

Can't the kids go to the schools they were going to 3 years ago? The school is named the Lincoln School Annex. It's an Annex, which implies it was never intended to use long term.

I think the people fighting this are being incredibly selfish. Let's say the protesters succeed in blocking the Cancer pavilion. That means they get to keep their 60+ year old outdated school. Future kids will be deprived of a free state of the art school. Cancer patients would be deprived of an incredible facility.
A someone who might be needing this place someday, that's how I feel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT