ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Hanson

NealPageNJ

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2019
Jackson Police Department News Release

NEWLY APPOINTED POLICE OFFICER:

At the May 9th Township Council meeting, Chief of Police Matthew Kunz publicly introduced newly appointed Jackson Township Police Officer Charles "CJ" Hanson.

CJ Hanson has been a lifelong resident of Jackson Township and is a member of St. Monica’s Church.

He attended Elementary School at Saint Aloysius here in Jackson Township, and was a mentoring “Buddy” for Challenger Sports, which is a Jackson Township program designed to help kids with special needs learn the sports of soccer and basketball.

CJ attended High School at Saint John Vianney in Holmdel. While attending Saint John Vianney, CJ obtained multiple varsity letters in the sports of lacrosse and football, along with being captain of both teams. He was a mentor for heroes and cool kids, volunteering his time to help less fortunate individuals.

CJ graduated high school with academic honors, numerous awards of achievement in football and lacrosse and was offered numerous academic and athletic scholarships to continue his education after high school.

CJ chose to attend Rutgers University in New Brunswick where he was awarded a student-athlete scholarship as an offensive lineman for the Rutgers Football Team, which plays in the Big10 Conference.
While attending Rutgers CJ achieved the accomplishment of Academic All-American 3X’s and achieved the distinction of being a Big10 Distinguished Scholar.

CJ graduated Rutgers with honors in December of 2022 with a Degree in Criminal Justice and two (2) minors, one (1) in Sociology and the second (2nd) in Psychology.

CJ entered the Ocean County Police Academy in January 2023 and will be graduating in June 2023. CJ will be a third (3rd) generation police officer following in the footsteps of his grandfather and father.

We congratulate CJ and wish him the best on his appointment. Our thanks are also extended to the mayor and administration, for their continued support.

Sgt. Fred Meabe #230
Public Information Officer
Jackson Police Department
May 12, 2023

And the pensions payments generated by compensation packages like these over a working career can be mindboggling.
I also take into account how Police Officers are one occupation that on any given day have to put themselves in harms way to protect someone from being harmed.
The days of looking at the Police as a respected occupation has become looking at the police as an overpaid occupation and basically a safe one to be in.

I also take into account how Police Officers are one occupation that on any given day have to put themselves in harms way to protect someone from being harmed.
The days of looking at the Police as a respected occupation has become looking at the police as an overpaid occupation and basically a safe one to be in.
oh stop
it's not even remotely as dangerous and some claim and statistics have validated that. Police don't have to do anything to protect you and often have not. Respect should be earned

oh stop
it's not even remotely as dangerous and some claim and statistics have validated that. Police don't have to do anything to protect you and often have not. Respect should be earned
We had one cop in my NJ town die in the line of duty in 30 year. That’s also true about Jackson NJ and most NJ towns. It’s not a dangerous job. It might be in NYC, Chicago or Philadelphia.

We had one cop in my NJ town die in the line of duty in 30 year. That’s also true about Jackson NJ and most NJ towns. It’s not a dangerous job. It might be in NYC, Chicago or Philadelphia.
How many dangerous situations did they encounter where properly doing their job prevented any of them dying in the line of duty? Virtually everyone they encounter is having one of the worst days of their week, month or year. Imagine being, say, wait-staff at a restaurant where EVERYONE has a problem with the food. It doesn't seem like an easy job to me.

I would recommend every football player to apply to be a policeman. I don’t know but it‘s easier to make $200k a year as a cop than making $200k in a corporation. Your chances of making $200k in a corporation is about 1 out of 10,000. Cops odds are about 1 in 10. This applies to New Jersey cops, in other states they might be underpaid. If I was younger I would take that path. Smart move. They are just overcompensated because of their union.

I am providing compensation information that a lot of people aren’t aware of and might have someone they know go into law enforcement.

Last edited:
I would recommend every football player to apply to be a policeman. I don’t know but it easier to make $200k a year as a cop than making $200k in a corporation. Your chances of making $200k in a corporation is about 1 out of 10,000. Cops odds are about 1 in 10. If I was younger I would take that path. Smart move. They are just overcompensated because of their union.

1 in 10,000? Maybe time to find a new employer

How many dangerous situations did they encounter where properly doing their job prevented any of them dying in the line of duty? Virtually everyone they encounter is having one of the worst days of their week, month or year. Imagine being, say, wait-staff at a restaurant where EVERYONE has a problem with the food. It doesn't seem like an easy job to me.
Yep. Cops, even in peaceful suburban towns or rural counties, deal with a lot of crap. A fair amount of that crap occurs in potentially dangerous situations civilians never see or hear or think about.

Just pulling someone over along the road carries plenty of potential danger for the cop(s), from drivers freaking out over being pulled over to being hit by cars speeding past while texting. The vast majority of those situations are resolved without incident and nobody hears about them. That doesn't mean they're safe. It mostly means the cops did a good enough job to avoid escalation.

I would recommend every football player to apply to be a policeman. I don’t know but it‘s easier to make $200k a year as a cop than making $200k in a corporation. Your chances of making $200k in a corporation is about 1 out of 10,000. Cops odds are about 1 in 10. This applies to New Jersey cops, in other states they might be underpaid. If I was younger I would take that path. Smart move. They are just overcompensated because of their union.

I am providing compensation information that a lot of people aren’t aware of and might have someone they know go into law enforcement.
Are you friends with any cops? Friendly enough that they confide in you about some of the crap they deal with?

I am and can tell you that it's not nearly as pleasant and safe a job as most corporate jobs. Especially in the earlier years.

Are you friends with any cops? Friendly enough that they confide in you about some of the crap they deal with?

I am and can tell you that it's not nearly as pleasant and safe a job as most corporate jobs. Especially in the earlier years

Of course it’s harder than a lot of corporate jobs but above average intelligent and good people skills will prevent most bad situation from getting worse. For the compensation, it’s worth it.

Yep. Cops, even in peaceful suburban towns or rural counties, deal with a lot of crap. A fair amount of that crap occurs in potentially dangerous situations civilians never see or hear or think about.

Just pulling someone over along the road carries plenty of potential danger for the cop(s), from drivers freaking out over being pulled over to being hit by cars speeding past while texting. The vast majority of those situations are resolved without incident and nobody hears about them. That doesn't mean they're safe. It mostly means the cops did a good enough job to avoid escalation.

I've heard in the burbs from a few police officers, along with the infrequent truly dangerous situations, that domestic disputes are the worst. And are not without violence.

I've heard in the burbs from a few police officers, along with the infrequent truly dangerous situations, that domestic disputes are the worst. And are not without violence.

Let's be real here

Is it more dangerous to be a cop in Jackson or Camden?

And how many cops in Camden are making 146k?

Hell, it's probably more dangerous to be a teacher in Camden, and how many of them even see 100k?

That's the problem I have. If the cop is a very dangerous city like Nashville or Jacksonville hell pay them 246k.

But being a cop in 95% of NJ is a pleasant job. NJ ranks 48 in violent crime and lowest in gun ownership. A town like Jackson the worst you will see is domestic violence, while which quite serious, is the same thing a social worker who makes 75k at the pinnacle of their career sees.

The problem I have is that people saying a cop should earn 146k in Jackson often think a teacher in Newark earning 46k is living a life of luxury.

The system is deeply backwards. I am very fine paying more people for more risk, but IMO in NJ we are not doing that at all. I grew up not far from Jackson and kids I went to HS with who let's say were not the sharpest tools in the shed aspired to be officers in the area because they knew it was a high income, high benefit and low effort job.

Name a city In NJ you think is dangerous and the average cop salary there will be a fraction, the average teacher salary, the average nurse salary, firefighter etc. And the teacher and nurse likely need a masters to do it.

Reactions: redking
The problem I have is that people saying a cop should earn 146k in Jackson often think a teacher in Newark earning 46k is living a life of luxury.

The system is deeply backwards. I am very fine paying more people for more risk, but IMO in NJ we are not doing that at all. I grew up not far from Jackson and kids I went to HS with who let's say were not the sharpest tools in the shed aspired to be officers in the area because they knew it was a high income, high benefit and low effort job.

Name a city In NJ you think is dangerous and the average cop salary there will be a fraction, the average teacher salary, the average nurse salary, firefighter etc. And the teacher and nurse likely need a masters to do it.
This board hates teachers and loves cops. I don’t really care about either. I’m just mentioning the compensation is a little screwed up. As a former financial analyst, I would know where to cut but it would be almost impossible because they won’t let you.

JACKSON TOWNSHIP POLICE DEPT SALARIES

Avg. Base Salary (USD)​

$146,415/year

View Hourly Rate
LOW:$126,820
AVERAGE:$146,415
HIGH:$170,320

Good choice
Congrats to Hanson!

wow. our town pays a fraction of that and then complains about not being able to find people. Our high end is below their low end. Then again, the biggest crime to hit our town in the past few decades was a dispatcher ripping off a couple hundred thousand worth of stuff from the police storeroom and selling it on ebay. He only got caught when a buyer called for customer support.

Jackson Police Department News Release

NEWLY APPOINTED POLICE OFFICER:

At the May 9th Township Council meeting, Chief of Police Matthew Kunz publicly introduced newly appointed Jackson Township Police Officer Charles "CJ" Hanson.

CJ Hanson has been a lifelong resident of Jackson Township and is a member of St. Monica’s Church.

He attended Elementary School at Saint Aloysius here in Jackson Township, and was a mentoring “Buddy” for Challenger Sports, which is a Jackson Township program designed to help kids with special needs learn the sports of soccer and basketball.

CJ attended High School at Saint John Vianney in Holmdel. While attending Saint John Vianney, CJ obtained multiple varsity letters in the sports of lacrosse and football, along with being captain of both teams. He was a mentor for heroes and cool kids, volunteering his time to help less fortunate individuals.

CJ graduated high school with academic honors, numerous awards of achievement in football and lacrosse and was offered numerous academic and athletic scholarships to continue his education after high school.

CJ chose to attend Rutgers University in New Brunswick where he was awarded a student-athlete scholarship as an offensive lineman for the Rutgers Football Team, which plays in the Big10 Conference.
While attending Rutgers CJ achieved the accomplishment of Academic All-American 3X’s and achieved the distinction of being a Big10 Distinguished Scholar.

CJ graduated Rutgers with honors in December of 2022 with a Degree in Criminal Justice and two (2) minors, one (1) in Sociology and the second (2nd) in Psychology.

CJ entered the Ocean County Police Academy in January 2023 and will be graduating in June 2023. CJ will be a third (3rd) generation police officer following in the footsteps of his grandfather and father.

We congratulate CJ and wish him the best on his appointment. Our thanks are also extended to the mayor and administration, for their continued support.

Sgt. Fred Meabe #230
Public Information Officer
Jackson Police Department
May 12, 2023
Becoming one of AMERICAS finest.

teachers do deserve to be paid far better and also receive far more respect than what they are receiving.
Teachers in some school districts also face more danger to their person than counterparts do in other school districts in the state they work in.

But to use teachers as an excuse for calling police officers overpaid is just wrong.
Just say the teaching profession is not respected as it should be, underpaid as well and allow those that point out police officers deserve every cent they get not to have that compared with teachers not earning what they deserve to be receiving.
Just because teachers are disrespected doesn't mean police officers deserve the same treatment.
Also I bet you'll fnd support in the way you compared the teaching profession with the law enforcement one. But I also think you might find when teachers are being disrepected here, some of the ones supporting your comparison would be knocking what teachers earn when that profession is being discussed.

For some everyone is oiverpaid because they feel underpaid for what they do or if own a business expect complete loyalty while trying to hold the wages and benefits down that they give their employees in order to make a bigger profit

Reactions: newell138
Yep. True of all domestic violence situations everywhere, I would think. Dense populations just increase the risks and increase the number of non-violent but depressing situations - and thus should increase the pay. IMO, at least.

Both my boys played against him in lacrosse while in high school.

They played attack so they were always near the opponents goalie, which was CJ’s position.

Big, big kid who filled out well in front of the goal.

One of them scored against him, can’t remember which one.

My younger one said he was nice guy on the field and very funny.

I hope the young man has a long and safe career.

Once a Scarlet Knight…always a Scarlet Knight.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT