ADVERTISEMENT

Clarifying a constantly stated misconception

Knight Time Fan

All Conference
Jul 27, 2001
I have read numerous times on this board how Hobbs could not fire CVS, how she had him over the barrel, and, well, a bit of innuendo besides.

100% true that it would have been difficult to fire or replace CVS. However, the reason is not (specifically) related to her - rather, Rutgers would have found it difficult to fire or replace ANY coach, based on the following:

- Member, Naismith and WBB Halls of Fame
- Exemplary record at Rutgers, RU winning percentage .648; only 4 losing seasons, 2 of them her first 2 years and a 3rd 20 years ago
- Exceeded her Rutgers career winning percentage the last 3 years; exceeded her career (overall) winning percentage last season; winning percentage .684 over the last 4 seasons.
- Won 20 or more games in all 3 of the last "full" seasons, 14-5 in the Covid shortened year
- Made the NCAA tournament as an at large 7th and 6th seed in the last 2 tournaments
- Seeded 3rd (twice) and 5th (once) in the last 3 B1G Conference Tourneys.
- Successful recruiting including a player Guirantes drafted into the WNBA in 2021, Diamond Johnson, etc. Next year 2 McDonald's players are coming, that recruiting is "on her"

The only negatives - some health concerns and a failure to advance significantly in the post-season tournaments.

While some disappointment by fans is 100% understandable, and the administration could have expressed some dissatisfaction with the season endings -

The truth of the matter is that, in WBB, you simply cannot terminate (without other causes) someone with the recent accomplishments listed above. The reason is very simple - you are not going to attract the best coaching candidates if they feel that the school is not "appreciative" (for want of a better word) of performance. I don't remember who we were talking to years ago, but this issue was mentioned by someone in the "business". It is all very well to terminate a coach when they are not performing well (or for other reasons) but it is the ultimate bad look to replace someone who is performing at a decent level.

Certainly, the negatives were concerns and should have been factored into the contract, but ultimately, there was no way that CVS would not have her contract renewed if she wanted it at the end of last season.

I apologize for the rant. But I think some posters are so focused on their desire to replace CVS over the years that they cannot see how difficult it would be for Rutgers to maintain a reputation in the coaching ranks by making a difficult to support move.

You're right but at the end of the day CVS was already handsomely paid for those accomplishments and accolades. CVS needed "the talk" last spring with the intention that she would transition to an appropriate role. At the end of the day that bottom line is that this program is not healthy. In the two most important games at the end of last season, she was humiliated and completely outcoached. In the Iowa game she was run out of the gym. There is no connection to the state HS programs and the youth programs. Zero. Most importantly the games are empty with a thousand or so diehards attending. When more people across the state turn out to watch a regular season game between Red Bank Catholic and IHA that's a major problem. The most concerning thing to me is that the program is a shell of it's former self and lacks any juice or excitement.

Citing stats with CVS is missing the bigger picture and rings hollow. Give me her record against winning programs. It is abysmal. The reality is that Rutgers WBB is now completely irrelevant to most. And this program has done nothing of significant accomplishment or made any noise whatsoever on the tournament in ages now. Add in the fact that she signed a new deal and then announced she was sitting out the season almost simultaneously, and I have seen enough. Well beyond time to move on. Hobbs dug this mess and now he better figure a way out of it

You're right but at the end of the day CVS was already handsomely paid for those accomplishments and accolades. CVS needed "the talk" last spring with the intention that she would transition to an appropriate role. At the end of the day that bottom line is that this program is not healthy. In the two most important games at the end of last season, she was humiliated and completely outcoached. In the Iowa game she was run out of the gym. There is no connection to the state HS programs and the youth programs. Zero. Most importantly the games are empty with a thousand or so diehards attending. When more people across the state turn out to watch a regular season game between Red Bank Catholic and IHA that's a major problem. The most concerning thing to me is that the program is a shell of it's former self and lacks any juice or excitement.
I agree that a better timeline probably needed to be set regarding transitioning to another role. As I said, and you have added more perspective, there were some issues of concern. And these were the things that gave Rutgers some negotiating power, but my overarching point is that any coach in that situation as described was coming back if they wanted to. Whether for a farewell tour, with incentives to move on, or whatever the school chose to negotiate on its side.

I thought I read that at least one of the McDonalds game folks coming next year is from NJ, but maybe I read it wrong. I have always felt that there were NJ and area players, but generally not from the shore area, who seemed to go elsewhere. If RU is going to perform at a high level, there are never going to be more than a handful of NJ players, you do have to recruit nationally. But some local interest, not just on the end of the bench, would be a good thing.

Citing stats with CVS is missing the bigger picture and rings hollow. Give me her record against winning programs. It is abysmal. The reality is that Rutgers WBB is now completely irrelevant to most. And this program has done nothing of significant accomplishment or made any noise whatsoever on the tournament in ages now. Add in the fact that she signed a new deal and then announced she was sitting out the season almost simultaneously, and I have seen enough. Well beyond time to move on. Hobbs dug this mess and now he better figure a way out of it
As I said in my other post, these are the factors that gave Rutgers negotiating power that might not have been used? My point remains - plenty there to ease her down the road, but it would have been a horrible look (in the business, which is where it matters regarding a future coach) not to have her return.

I would have liked to have seen a farewell tour, possibly a coach in waiting and a designated transition point to a different role. It does not appear publicly that any of this was addressed by Hobbs.

Her sitting out has nothing to do with it. If it was grounds for dismissal, then Hobbs could have dismissed. It apparently isn't. But that happened after the contract was signed. If he knew about it, well, that's on him. If he didn't, again, he is the one who ultimately said "OK", Tim it is.

Reactions: MADHAT1
I have read numerous times on this board how Hobbs could not fire CVS, how she had him over the barrel, and, well, a bit of innuendo besides.

100% true that it would have been difficult to fire or replace CVS. However, the reason is not (specifically) related to her - rather, Rutgers would have found it difficult to fire or replace ANY coach, based on the following:

- Member, Naismith and WBB Halls of Fame
- Exemplary record at Rutgers, RU winning percentage .648; only 4 losing seasons, 2 of them her first 2 years and a 3rd 20 years ago
- Exceeded her Rutgers career winning percentage the last 3 years; exceeded her career (overall) winning percentage last season; winning percentage .684 over the last 4 seasons.
- Won 20 or more games in all 3 of the last "full" seasons, 14-5 in the Covid shortened year
- Made the NCAA tournament as an at large 7th and 6th seed in the last 2 tournaments
- Seeded 3rd (twice) and 5th (once) in the last 3 B1G Conference Tourneys.
- Successful recruiting including a player Guirantes drafted into the WNBA in 2021, Diamond Johnson, etc. Next year 2 McDonald's players are coming, that recruiting is "on her"

The only negatives - some health concerns and a failure to advance significantly in the post-season tournaments.

While some disappointment by fans is 100% understandable, and the administration could have expressed some dissatisfaction with the season endings -

The truth of the matter is that, in WBB, you simply cannot terminate (without other causes) someone with the recent accomplishments listed above. The reason is very simple - you are not going to attract the best coaching candidates if they feel that the school is not "appreciative" (for want of a better word) of performance. I don't remember who we were talking to years ago, but this issue was mentioned by someone in the "business". It is all very well to terminate a coach when they are not performing well (or for other reasons) but it is the ultimate bad look to replace someone who is performing at a decent level.

Certainly, the negatives were concerns and should have been factored into the contract, but ultimately, there was no way that CVS would not have her contract renewed if she wanted it at the end of last season.

I apologize for the rant. But I think some posters are so focused on their desire to replace CVS over the years that they cannot see how difficult it would be for Rutgers to maintain a reputation in the coaching ranks by making a difficult to support move.
All that is true about CVStringers unblemished HOF blah blah blah. What is not true is there was no way out before she was offered the extension by Hobbs. At this moment Big Tim needs to go …don’t care who replaces him …This will only lose you more recruits and as for finding a new coach. Money talks when that is on the table.

If CVS was truly concerned about her and her families safety from covid she wouldn't be attending a place she should stay away from. This is a sham she is doing.

The program was in ageneral decline the past 12 years
the program hasn't been as good as it was before, but it was a winner till now.
FDor years the excuse some made about why RU MBB was so bad was that the facilities were deteriorating and that was a major problem to get the type of players needed to have a winning program.
Vivian faced the same obstacles and managed to have a winning program. .
Time for change might be needed now, but you have been obsessed in changing HCs when it wasn't necessary and implying RU WBB was a losing program when it was just a good one, but not as good as it once was.

If CVS was truly concerned about her and her families safety from covid she wouldn't be attending a place she should stay away from. This is a sham she is doing.
you make accusations, but refuse to provide information.
If you want to accuse, provide the information needed to back it up.
Sounds like you are making up stories if you don't show what you mean.

Sadly it's easy to misinform and have people believe it.
Better to provide the facts to show others might misinform,but you speak the truth.

you posted something like this before on this board and when asked to provide the info about what you were talking about, refused to do so.
Provide proof or admit it's BS.
I hope you don't ignore my request like you did when others asked for proof the last time you made an accusation like this one.

Also with proper protection, people do go out and about even if they keep away from other things as a safety precaution.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUfanDNT
Someone please tell me she is not receiving 100 percent of salary.
so far I haven't heard if she was or not.
I'm just assuming its full pay and benefits, even though haven't heard that's the case and all the complaints don't have proof of pay, just assuming like I am.

Might be less pay and health benefits fully protected for use, but can't say if that's the LOA deal and haven't heard one word that it is.

It’s distressing to see Hobbs add more and more red ink to an Athletic Department that has borrowed $10’s of Millions annually. Giving CVS a contract that pays $1M for taking a desk job is one reason that NJ is a debt riden State. These Government employees don’t get it?

Reactions: Local Shill
you make accusations, but refuse to provide information.
If you want to accuse, provide the information needed to back it up.
Sounds like you are making up stories if you don't show what you mean.

Sadly it's easy to misinform and have people believe it.
Better to provide the facts to show others might misinform,but you speak the truth.

you posted something like this before on this board and when asked to provide the info about what you were talking about, refused to do so.
Provide proof or admit it's BS.
I hope you don't ignore my request like you did when others asked for proof the last time you made an accusation like this one.

Also with proper protection, people do go out and about even if they keep away from other things as a safety precaution.

Email me lawnmanbmls@comcast.net

It’s distressing to see Hobbs add more and more red ink to an Athletic Department that has borrowed $10’s of Millions annually. Giving CVS a contract that pays $1M for taking a desk job is one reason that NJ is a debt riden State. These Government employees don’t get it?
Is Hobbs a government employee?
Think you should check if he is.

How is CVS' salary part of the state debt.
Is the sate paying it ?
Is it from taxes paid?
Maybe check the state budget and see where all that money goes.

As for being paid to sit at a desk, think the agreement was for her to coach and possibly move to administration if Stringer decided to retire from coaching but still wanted to be involved with RU Athletics.
Shame that contract isn't published so we can see what it entails in full.
But it's alleged to be extending Vivian's HC tenure with an option to move into the Rutgers Administration, not a state position paid by the state.

What I don't get is how many fans think the state pays for all the RU's coaches salary

actually posting it in a reply is far better than just having interested parties e-mail you.
If it's going to be said in confidence and no way to check it out without breaking that confidence by asking others, better for me not to e-mail you.
Just wondering why you can't tell what you know on this board ?

actually posting it in a reply is far better than just having interested parties e-mail you.
If it's going to be said in confidence and no way to check it out without breaking that confidence by asking others, better for me not to e-mail you.
Just wondering why you can't tell what you know on this board
email me and i'll explain. If not so be it.

email me and i'll explain. If not so be it.
So be it, because clock and dagger isn't my thing or the way to explain what was posted for all to see .
Since you don't want to share the info with all that seen your accusation, guess that's the way it will be

Is the sate paying it ?
Is it from taxes paid?
Maybe check the state budget and see where all that money goes.

As for being paid to sit at a desk, think the agreement was for her to coach and possibly move to administration if Stringer decided to retire from coaching but still wanted to be involved with RU Athletics.
Shame that contract isn't published so we can see what it entails in full.
But it's alleged to be extending Vivian's HC tenure with an option to move into the Rutgers Administration, not a state position paid by the state.

What I don't get is how many fans think the state pays for all the RU's coaches salary
Huh? CVS is a public employee like every other coach at RU. If u want to see her contract just file an OPRA request.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bon1674

Huh? CVS is a public employee like every other coach at RU. If u want to see her contract just file an OPRA request.
Basically Stringer and all of the other coaches are Rutgers employees.
Her salary is paid out of the University's Athletic Department's budget which gets its funding from all revenue brought in from sports programs, boosters donations and advertisement rights deals with businesses..

I was just pointing out , though you might consider he a public ( state government employee) the source of her pay , and every RU Athletic Department employee) isn't like most government jobs.
So that's why I asked the questions..

As for "file an OPRA request." good suggestion
But I don't feel the need to, even though I complained about the terms of contract not being published by the media, I really don't want to o through the hassle.

For those that might be interested
OPRA | Completing an On-line OPRA Records Request

Determine the State Department, Division or Agency that has the record​

>It is very important that you have determined what record(s) you are seeking and that you have determined which department or agency can help you. A State records custodian can only respond to a request for specific records. Click here for information to search for departments or agencies. A request to an incorrect agency is not considered a valid request and OPRA rights would not apply<.
https://www.state.nj.us/opra/forminstructions.html

Last edited:
Basically Stringer and all of the other coaches are Rutgers employees.
Her salary is paid out of the University's Athletic Department's budget which gets its funding from all revenue brought in from sports programs, boosters donations and advertisement rights deals with businesses..

I was just pointing out , though you might consider he a public ( state government employee) the source of her pay , and every RU Athletic Department employee) isn't like most government jobs.
So that's why I asked the questions..

As for "file an OPRA request." good suggestion
But I don't feel the need to, even though I complained about the terms of contract not being published by the media, I really don't want to o through the hassle.

For those that might be interested
OPRA | Completing an On-line OPRA Records Request

Determine the State Department, Division or Agency that has the record​

>It is very important that you have determined what record(s) you are seeking and that you have determined which department or agency can help you. A State records custodian can only respond to a request for specific records. Click here for information to search for departments or agencies. A request to an incorrect agency is not considered a valid request and OPRA rights would not apply<.
https://www.state.nj.us/opra/forminstructions.html
Correct, the coaches are not state government employees but they are absolutely state employees who are employed by Rutgers. The relationship is complex but you incorrect to say that the average tax payer does not contribute to her salary and benefits. They unequivocally do. CVS is on the state health benefits plan and is also enrolled in the state pension system which is why she is subject to OPRA and the rights of state employees like RICE notices etc.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Correct, the coaches are not state government employees but they are absolutely state employees who are employed by Rutgers. The relationship is complex but you incorrect to say that the average tax payer does not contribute to her salary and benefits. They unequivocally do. CVS is on the state health benefits plan and is also enrolled in the state pension system which is why she is subject to OPRA and the rights of state employees like RICE notices etc.
Yes, I should have made sure to put in salary also includs money from the Athletic Department that comes from the money the State's budget allots to RU when I listed sources of her pay
Also the point you made about health and pension benefits was a good one as well.
I shouldn't have ignored that part of her RU employment package.

Thanks for the correcxtion, it will make me think of looking at everything instead of only a part when talking about Stringer's salary., which a benefit package is also part of , though rarely thought about when talking salary.

She has destroyed the program. She had a great legacy that is being ruined by all her recruits leaving and having this bozo coach the team. Her last act will be remember as much as her 35+ year HOF career. If she does not retire and walk away then in my mind its all about her and a money grab and not the kids and the program. I will not be donating any more money till this shit show is resolved. I encourage other to send the message to Pat.

If CVS cares so damn much about this program - which, from MY POV at this time, she clearly DOES NOT give a single damn - she would STOP TAKING ITS $$$, retire and let Hobbs put it back together. ENOUGH ALREADY.

All the accolades from the PAST are warranted, and she earned what she was given previously, however, I'm with those in the "she never should've asked for a new 5-year deal IF SHE KNEW she wasn't coming back to campus (and it's very clear that this was the case) column. ENOUGH ALREADY.

So be it, because clock and dagger isn't my thing or the way to explain what was posted for all to see .
Since you don't want to share the info with all that seen your accusation, guess that's the way it will be
Appears CVS was seen walking around in a PA casino.

Appears CVS was seen walking around in a PA casino.
That could be considered a questionable action.
But in this day of information about sports figures being readily available, I wonder why that hasn't been reported and made public knowledge?
To often people might hear something that's not true and report it to others as gospel.

Not saying your source is wrong, just wondering why the information isn't out there.
You know the media would eat that up , once they checked it out and found happened.

But in this day of information about sports figures being readily available, I wonder why that hasn't been reported and made public knowledge?
To often people might hear something that's not true and report it to others as gospel.

Not saying your source is wrong, just wondering why the information isn't out there.
You know the media would eat that up , once they checked it out and found happened.
My source is a thread on the MBB board.

I understand why people are frustrated regarding coach Stringer, but because we may not be capable of doing our job either physically or mentally due to a health problem, it doesn't necessarily mean that we have to always do nothing... Maybe if she's at a casino on a regular basis, winning at the blackjack tables while drinking a gin and tonic with a Marlboro in her hand and dancing at a club afterwards, then it might be grounds for people to get upset. But a single visit to a casino, in my opinion, doesn't prove that she's well and that she's capable of taking on all coaching responsibilities. One of my sister's clients is 83 years old, is incapacitated with multiple sclerosis, but whose major pleasure in life is her weekly day trip with her caregiver, in her wheelchair, to a local casino. So I'm not going to automatically think worse of Coach Stringer for being seen at a casino recently. JMO.

My source is a thread on the MBB board.

Is this your source ( leaving names of poster out so personal arguments won't arise)
“CVS has taken the year off after negotiating a new contract in April. I don't know if for Covid reasons but has been seen walking around in a PA Casino.”

and this one posted after it confirms what was posted???
or just a comment on that accusation !
“Man surprised this hasn't drawn more of a reaction. When I initially heard of CVS sightings I was thinking something more benign. Along the lines of the Somerset Diner or the food store, but can't make this stuff up. A freaking casino! Last place I would go if I told my boss I didn't feel safe to go back to work because of Covid. I hope this is documented for cause.”

I agree with this reply
“I wish there was video proof of this.”

I feel if it was true, what is being suggested here would have happened already
“Video proof in a casino? If I was Hobbs or better yet RU's attorney/insurance carrier I would be on the phone with casino security immediately getting a copy of the footage.”

People can make up something and be believed, but the proof is what makes a fact and not a accusation without proof it’s true;

Think itt’s true, e-mail Hobbs and ask him to investigat it.

Those spreading this rumor should contact the Newark Star Ledger (tips@njadvancemedia.com ) and let the Daily Targum (sports@dailytargum.com) know what you heard

If you want Stringer gone and not have to buy her out, contact the media and Rutgers about this accusation.
I truly believe, if it was true contact would have already happened and the media would have put articles out about it .
This could be one disgruntled fan trying to get RU fans to want CVS gone and using a false accusation to make a case.
Actualy this season should be enough along with her LOA being taken after she had a contract extension

For all
So, please, unless you know for sure it happened , don’t spread possible false info on a message board.
If you know for a fact it happened, inform the media ASAP.
Hell,just tell them what you heard and I bet the reply you receive is it was checked out and no proof of it happening

Reactions: KevH
No worse than here.
who claimed this is a good source for information, it is a source for opinions and some advice on how to find thugs someone is looking for ( football board mainly)
Without proof to back something claimed , it's just an unfounded rumor here or on any other TKR board

who claimed this is a good source for information, it is a source for opinions and some advice on how to find thugs someone is looking for ( football board mainly)
Without proof to back something claimed , it's just an unfounded rumor here or on any other TKR board
I certainly did not claim it was a “good source”, only that it was the source.

Just to point out - if CVS is on leave, approved leave, and has agreed to have no contact with the team this season (which she had to per NCAA) - she can pretty much do anything she wants. Anyone can object to whatever she does. And can call out her reason for requesting the leave, if you want to. But, once the leave was approved, I repeat, she can pretty much do as she wishes.

Times change. The world is in a different place now than they were last April. Just an observation, apart from anything else.

Just to point out - if CVS is on leave, approved leave, and has agreed to have no contact with the team this season (which she had to per NCAA) - she can pretty much do anything she wants. Anyone can object to whatever she does. And can call out her reason for requesting the leave, if you want to. But, once the leave was approved, I repeat, she can pretty much do as she wishes.

Times change. The world is in a different place now than they were last April. Just an observation, apart from anything else.
This is not true. She cannot do anything she wants. Specifically if she is being paid (sick time personal time)or there is an insurance policy in place (short term long term disability). There are absolutely limitations of what a person on leave can do and can’t do. Especially a leave that is medical in nature or pandemic safety related.

Last edited:
Is this your source ( leaving names of poster out so personal arguments won't arise)
“CVS has taken the year off after negotiating a new contract in April. I don't know if for Covid reasons but has been seen walking around in a PA Casino.”

and this one posted after it confirms what was posted???
or just a comment on that accusation !
“Man surprised this hasn't drawn more of a reaction. When I initially heard of CVS sightings I was thinking something more benign. Along the lines of the Somerset Diner or the food store, but can't make this stuff up. A freaking casino! Last place I would go if I told my boss I didn't feel safe to go back to work because of Covid. I hope this is documented for cause.”

I agree with this reply
“I wish there was video proof of this.”

I feel if it was true, what is being suggested here would have happened already
“Video proof in a casino? If I was Hobbs or better yet RU's attorney/insurance carrier I would be on the phone with casino security immediately getting a copy of the footage.”

People can make up something and be believed, but the proof is what makes a fact and not a accusation without proof it’s true;

Think itt’s true, e-mail Hobbs and ask him to investigat it.

Those spreading this rumor should contact the Newark Star Ledger (tips@njadvancemedia.com ) and let the Daily Targum (sports@dailytargum.com) know what you heard

If you want Stringer gone and not have to buy her out, contact the media and Rutgers about this accusation.
I truly believe, if it was true contact would have already happened and the media would have put articles out about it .
This could be one disgruntled fan trying to get RU fans to want CVS gone and using a false accusation to make a case.
Actualy this season should be enough along with her LOA being taken after she had a contract extension

For all
So, please, unless you know for sure it happened , don’t spread possible false info on a message board.
If you know for a fact it happened, inform the media ASAP.
Hell,just tell them what you heard and I bet the reply you receive is it was checked out and no proof of it happening
If all information posted on this board needed to be 100% verified there wouldn't be much activity. It's not like someone said they witnessed CVS committing a crime. And contact the Star-Ledger - you can't be serious.

If all information posted on this board needed to be 100% verified there wouldn't be much activity. It's not like someone said they witnessed CVS committing a crime. And contact the Star-Ledger - you can't be serious.
I'm serious about contacting the news media to find out if something is true.
Just believing a message board is not the way to evaluate if something is fact or fiction.
Also by contacting a media outlet that thrives in putting down RU sports, they will try to investigate on what they are contacted about and report on it if true

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT