ADVERTISEMENT

Clary thrown off By PSU head Coach

I hate Penn State but I love Rhoades as a coach. No BS coach who has done a hell of a job with ridiculous turnover on that team. Good for him.

Reactions: bIhawk
Never a good sign when a coach can’t manage their players egos.

Never a good sign when a coach can’t manage their players egos.
How do you know it's about egos? It's a new coach establishing a new culture. Maybe he's getting rid of a cancer. And if that's the case, he's showing that no one is bigger than the program, including the leading scorer. His first year, it's the perfect time to set this precedent if it's needed.

Hearing that the kids Dad was a major problem demanding NIL money & degrading the head coach on social media
Very similar to McCord situation. Day managed it for a year then upgraded. Fran then chose to manage it next year.

Bad situation for PSU

There's an interesting rumor floating around in State College that dad walked into coach's office demanding they use his son more, he's the best player on the team and that he needs more NIL money. Then Rhoades said, I'm good, see ya.

Take it with a grain of salt, but that's the rumor right now.

From my understanding, academics weren’t a factor
Gotcha. He tweeted about another small B1G guard being in academic trouble the other day (in addition to Dug McDaniel). Not sure what he was referring to then

So now a player who plays balls out on the court to the point where he suffers a serious concussion is thrown a side when the team is out of contention because he his family is upfront about wanting more NIL instead of keeping their mouth shut and going to the portal for the pay day next year. In doing so Rhoades invites speculation that it is about Clary's performance on the court, off the court, in practice, or in the classroom when it seems like a complete MONEY issue with Penn State cheeping out. Rhoades is not the hero here no matter what the father said, did, or threatened.

So now a player who plays balls out on the court to the point where he suffers a serious concussion is thrown a side when the team is out of contention because he his family is upfront about wanting more NIL instead of keeping their mouth shut and going to the portal for the pay day next year. In doing so Rhoades invites speculation that it is about Clary's performance on the court, off the court, in practice, or in the classroom when it seems like a complete MONEY issue with Penn State cheeping out. Rhoades is not the hero here no matter what the father said, did, or threatened.

LOL

I like that you have a counterpoint, but unless you have inside information, I don't think any of us can take a firm stance at this point. My intuition is that a coach wouldn't run his leading scorer without a really good reason. If it was the money, it could have waited until mid March to discuss his NIL deal.

Or just maybe there were some low character POS folks with “me me me“ demands here. What do you think was more likely? … A nice young team player with a great work ethic and good character playing hard and getting screwed by a low character cheap ass coach that wants to lose, or a me first/me only player looking for a payday on a last place team?

Ok Mr Clary

I like that you have a counterpoint, but unless you have inside information, I don't think any of us can take a firm stance at this point. My intuition is that a coach wouldn't run his leading scorer without a really good reason. If it was the money, it could have waited until mid March to discuss his NIL deal.
I don't have inside information. Like a lot of others, I'd heard third hand he was portal bound. A Penn Stater told me his father complained a long the lines of how it doesn't look good that Penn State has endless NIL for football and next to nothing for it's best basketball player. I speculate that Rhoades said he did not want to hear another peep about it after a certain point. I speculate that Clary peeped.

Would I want him here? No I would not. This definitely hurts his pay day and don't be surprised if it ends up in the other kind of court.

Last edited:
I don't have inside information. Like a lot of others, I'd heard third hand he was portal bound. A Penn Stater told me his father complained a long the lines of how it doesn't look good that Penn State has endless NIL for football and next to nothing for it's best basketball player. I speculate that Rhoades said he did not want to hear another peep about it after a certain point. I speculate that Clary peeped.

Would I want him here? No I would not. This definitely hurts his pay day and don't be surprised if it ends up in the other kind of court.

The other kind of court …

Pretty interesting and definitely the next part of this NIL saga ..

What if a player outperforms his NIL agreements. Then do some try to lawyer up and get more ?
What if someone underperformed and groups withhold or don’t pay the full promised NIL amount.

Either one definitely juicy enough for lawyers to get involved and further change the NIL landscape.

Reactions: KevH
Kid took a stupid T in their game the other day. My understanding of the situation is Clary wasn't going to class so his old man demanded more PT and NIL. Rhoades then said he's a big C in the locker room. Senior Clary then sought more season tickets. Rhoades said we finished eighth with him we can finish eighth without him.

Lots to unpack.

There’s probably more to the story than just one conversation.

Kid took a stupid T in their game the other day. My understanding of the situation is Clary wasn't going to class so his old man demanded more PT and NIL. Rhoades then said he's a big C in the locker room. Senior Clary then sought more season tickets. Rhoades said we finished eighth with him we can finish eighth without him.

Lots to unpack.
I don't believe a lot of that is correct (and Clary hasn't taken any "stupid technicals").

Good high level summary of things (this tweet, and the ones that follow)…

Has anyone read this detailed description of what happened? Lol there's no need to even come up with your own version of events..

He was receiving $0 nil as the teams leading scorer...got injured, team won some games without him. Came back to increasingly less playing time. Father demanded nil and more playing time coach kicked him off team instead... You can judge both sides based on that. I just chalk it up to it is what is. No need to be dramatic about either side..

Last edited:
No Clary played and played well.
Clary missed the Rutgers game.

Many PSU fans have tried to rationalize this as being a good thing since the team went on a winning streak when Clary missed games and took on a lesser role. However, I don't think we played particular well at the RAC...it was just a night where Rutgers played worse (and couldn't make shots).

I don't think we played particularly well at the RAC...it was just a night where Rutgers played worse (and couldn't make shots).
I don't watch PSU so you would know better. But do you really feel like PSU didn't play well in this game? Maybe they weren't shooting lights out but I thought their defense was outrageously good.

I don't watch PSU so you would know better. But do you really feel like PSU didn't play well in this game? Maybe they weren't shooting lights out but I thought their defense was outrageously good.
I felt like the defense was decent, but really was more about how poorly Rutgers played. Did a good job on coming at Cliff with quick doubles and getting the ball out of his hands...and the pressure led to some turnovers...but many of the turnovers were a bit sloppy by Rutgers. And Rutgers poor shooting night really led to the ability to double Cliff (RU went 1-17 from 3, and most of those 17 were pretty good looks). Rutgers also missed several layups, and went 11-22 at the line that helped lead to the bad offensive night.

PSU played great D but they weren’t particularly good either. We were far worse. Ugly game wish we had back or maybe get revenge in B1G tourney.

Clary missed the Rutgers game.

Many PSU fans have tried to rationalize this as being a good thing since the team went on a winning streak when Clary missed games and took on a lesser role. However, I don't think we played particular well at the RAC...it was just a night where Rutgers played worse (and couldn't make shots).
You are correct. My bad.

I thought Clary was #2 but that was actually Dunn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT