ADVERTISEMENT

College Football Hall of Fame

Knight177lb

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 3, 2014
I was working in Atlanta this week and got a chance to see the College Football Hall of Fame. When I was looking for our helmet, a man who works there said he would help me find it. He said "Ahh, Rutgers has a special place in our heart. That's where the first game was played."

I thought it was a great place. It was nice to see a big photo of the Rutgers Jitney in the tailgate section and a picture of the Rutgers football player statue in the Touchstone Tunnel.

Amazing RU isn’t the home of that museum. Poor vision. I know it wasn’t much to talk about before it moved but still would have been nice.

Reactions: ManasquanMike
The College Football Hall of Fame was technically at Rutgers from 1949 through the summer of 1972 when it upped and left for New York City before opening in 1978 near Cincinnati. They were always in fundraising mode in the years when Rutgers was the home of the Hall. First it was to be built at the site of the first game (where the College Avenue Gym currentl stands) and then later transferred to a spot about 400 yards from Rutgers Stadium.

In 1949, the Touchdown Club scooped up some dirt from College Field and put it in a box and gave it to the College Football Hall of Fame. The Hall in Atlanta should still have it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy_Faulker
I remember going the the CFBHF as a teenager. It was either at Kings Island amusement park north of Cincy or very close to it as I recall

I remember going the the CFBHF as a teenager. It was either at Kings Island amusement park north of Cincy or very close to it as I recall

The College Football Hall of Fame moved out of New York and went to Mason, Ohio where the Kings Island Amusement Park constructed a building for the College Football Hall of Fame's use from 1978 through 1991. It then moved to South Bend, IN before relocating again to Atlanta.

If you scroll 3/4th of the way down at the following site, you will see a picture of the Hall at Kings Island then and the remains left behind today:

Last edited:
Reactions: RUaMoose
Amazing RU isn’t the home of that museum. Poor vision. I know it wasn’t much to talk about before it moved but still would have been nice.
“Poor vision” and NJ go hand-in-hand. All they care about is fleecing their residents. They should put it at the American Dream since it’s so stable

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
The College Football Hall of Fame moved out of New York and went to Mason, Ohio where the Kings Island Amusement Park constructed a building for the College Football Hall of Fame's use from 1978 through 1991. It then moved to South Bend, IN before relocating again to Atlanta.

If you scroll 3/4th of the way down at the following site, you will see a picture of the Hall at Kings Island then and the remains left behind today:

That was actually a good vacation. Circa 1979. Saw the Reds/Braves, Kings Island then shot up to Cleveland and caught an Indians game ( mother was a huge Tribe fan) went to the pro football HOF and Sea World in Aurora ( no longer there). Also went to Cedar Point AP. Some mocked us for an Ohio vacation but it was pretty fun

"...They should put it at the American Dream since it’s so stable..."

When the College Football Hall of Fame had run its course in South Bend, IN by the mid-1990s, about a dozen cities put in bids to host the Hall including The Meadowlands at the time. Atlanta was selected.

The Hall eventually failed at New Brunswick, Kings Island and South Bend. The last two probably because they didn't have a fresh supply of tourists coming to the area after awhile. It's probably best to have the Hall in a city that's a hub, where lots of people move in and out. The Atlanta Hall is now about 10 years old.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT